Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade

16 Jun 2011 11:20 #1 by Nmysys
Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade
Physicists say sunspot cycle is 'going into hibernation'

By Lewis Page • Get more from this author

Posted in Science, 14th June 2011 17:00 GMT

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age.

See Graphs and Story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2011 11:23 #2 by LadyJazzer
That's "low SUNSPOT activity"... That doesn't cause "mini Ice-ages"...

But thanks for playing... :lol:

At least the "comic relief" is back....

16 Jun 2011 11:33 #3 by TPP
See Science thread for more reading on the subject!

16 Jun 2011 11:42 #4 by Nmysys
LJ is so much smarter than all of these scientists. We should be so proud that she is available to dispel all these scientific reports.

16 Jun 2011 16:55 #5 by ScienceChic
Mini Ice Age - what total crap. We just entered a solar maximum 2 years ago from an extended minimum - was it a Little Ice Age for the past 15 years? Unless we have nuclear war, or a mega volcanic eruption, it ain't gonna happen because the solar maximum turns out to not be a maximum.

But check out this thread for more: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11755 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11755<!-- l -->

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Jun 2011 17:34 #6 by Martin Ent Inc
I heard it's pretty cold in DC.

16 Jun 2011 19:25 #7 by LadyJazzer
These twits are not interested in posting anything about actual science... Just the usual "denial" bullsh*t from their idiotic sources...

But it's fun as a "comic relief" episode....

17 Jun 2011 06:12 #8 by TPP
Question: Are these "heavyweight US solar physicists" some of the same the told us about the mini ice age in the 70's or are they the ones that signed the "Man-made" global warming BS? OR did they do BOTH?

In my opinion, the less sun spot activity, isn't a worry, it's the SUN FLARES which have increased, in number and size "M" size flare where rare, now it appears that all we see are "M"s, or higher. Almost as few the sun spots have gathered and then join and flare. This will throw enough magmatic force directly at the earth, to disturb the balances that we enjoy now. Nothing we can do about it, (just like global warming). NO I’m not a doomsday wacko, but I sure wouldn’t mind if a GAINT EMP take out everything on earth. I’ll sit back and watch the chaos, because folks can’t survive without their electric, let alone their cell phones & cars. REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION!

17 Jun 2011 06:49 #9 by Blazer Bob

TPP wrote: NO I’m not a doomsday wacko, but I sure wouldn’t mind if a GAINT EMP take out everything on earth. I’ll sit back and watch the chaos, because folks can’t survive without their electric, let alone their cell phones & cars. REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION!

You wouldn't mind? That sure seems wacko to me.

17 Jun 2011 06:50 #10 by LOL
Definitely time for some Al Gore cartoons! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds