Why can't kids read Bibles in school but they can in prison?

21 Jun 2011 10:36 #1 by The Viking
They are both government/state funded so don't they both fall under the false premise of Separation of church and state?

They are handed out with government money in prisons correct? And in a state funded facility they can pray anywhere and anytime correct? Why do they have to wait until AFTER they are arrested to be allowed to do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2011 10:50 #2 by Photo-fish
I'd bet they have a Bible or 2 in the school library. Possibly even a Koran.

Are you saying that students are not allowed to read thier own Bible or a copy from the library during their free time in school (Study hall, open period, during lunch)?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

21 Jun 2011 11:07 #3 by outdoor338
[youtube:1spomt8d]
[/youtube:1spomt8d]

21 Jun 2011 11:10 #4 by Kate
When did it become illegal to read a bible in school? Can you point me to a specific law or judicial case?

21 Jun 2011 11:24 #5 by LadyJazzer
If students are supposed to be paying attention in the classroom, and learning what is on the lesson-plan, (reading, writing, 'rithmetic, history, civics), then they shouldn't be reading a Bible during class time anyway. You want Bibles in the classroom, send your kids to a parochial school. There's no rules that says they can't go read whatever they want to during study hall, recess....

Is this another outrage-without-a-proof?

21 Jun 2011 11:42 #6 by Kate
I think it's an outrage where the theory is that both prisons and schools are publicly funded, therefore it's hypocritical that one should be able to read bibles and the other cannot.

However, it has not been proven that students cannot read bibles in public schools.

21 Jun 2011 12:13 #7 by daisychain
Kids can read the Bible in school. There are bible clubs, classes: The Bible as Literature, the Bible is in the library, kids read the bible during lunch, there are prayer circles before school... Where are your facts that back up your statement.

21 Jun 2011 12:29 #8 by Photo-fish

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

21 Jun 2011 13:50 #9 by TPP
I think the next time I go to a hotel and find a Gideons Bible in a drawer, I'm going to sue the hotel, because I'm offended, that it's NOT the NIV. Bible, and there's NO copy of the Koran, or the Torah, or the satanic bible... IT'S OUTRAGOUS!!!!

21 Jun 2011 13:53 #10 by FredHayek
I went to one hotel in Lakewood that also had Buddhist teachings in the same drawer as the Gideon bible.

:pop
Why can't the Bible be used as a text in World Literature class? Or even World History, along with the Koran, etc.

It was very interesting in my parochial high school to learn world history using learning the Bible, but also Egyptian, Greek, and Roman history.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds