Recession Changed Way Consumers Blow Paycheck On Crap

02 Jul 2011 18:41 - 02 Jul 2011 20:12 #1 by LOL
http://www.theonion.com/articles/consum ... ayc,19691/

WASHINGTON—A survey released Monday by the U.S. Department of Commerce found the nation's weakened economy has drastically changed the way consumers blow their paychecks on useless crap.

The report suggests the lingering recession has forced Americans to make tough choices when it comes to pissing away their earnings, as millions struggle to find new, and often challenging, ways to be completely irresponsible with their finances.

edit-FYI this is humor only. Though there is probably some truth to it as with all humor.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Jul 2011 18:47 #2 by ScienceChic
On the upside, you can find lots of exercise equipment, pool tables, and pinball machines real cheap on Craigslist! lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jul 2011 19:16 #3 by LadyJazzer
rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol:

Obviously, Joe doesn't know what "The Onion" is....

God, this is too funny... rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol:

02 Jul 2011 19:22 #4 by djpenguin
rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol
L*dyJazzer thought Joe was serious???

02 Jul 2011 19:24 - 02 Jul 2011 20:16 #5 by LOL
SC, I love selling things on Craigslist, its interesting all the emails you get asking stupid questions. I sold something last week as a matter of fact. Well the money is supposed to be coming from "some guy" in Nigeria soon! :)

Sorry LJ, I rarely read your posts, (have to over-ride the ignore feature) but I am well aware of what the Onion is. Duh! I thought it would be fun to lighten things up a little around here. Do you ever have any fun in your life? Sometimes I feel sorry for you. Well maybe for a second or two. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

02 Jul 2011 19:48 #6 by AspenValley

Science Chic wrote: On the upside, you can find lots of exercise equipment, pool tables, and pinball machines real cheap on Craigslist! lol

Yes, and when you see that you have to wonder how there ever could have been so many people who ever wanted that crap in the first place.

02 Jul 2011 20:23 #7 by ScienceChic
Hey! I resemble that remark! tongue: A pool table was one of the first things we bought when we moved in, slot machine came later, BowFlex arrives next week. The kids love the slot machine, we could certainly use the pool table more than we do, but it comes in handy for parties, and we'll see how often the hubby sticks with his exercise routine... If not, it'll go back up for sale, and I'll get a Pilates Reformer to replace it! :biggrin:

I think people have unrealistic expectations as to how often they'll really use something, then have buyer's remorse, or end up needing cash and these items are easy to part with.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Jul 2011 21:06 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Joe, love the onion, i have a feed from them on my homepage for the same reason you posted it hear... to lighten things up thanks!

02 Jul 2011 21:45 #9 by jf1acai
Instead of spending my $$ on crap like rent and gas, I now spend it on important stuff like beer and cigarettes :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

02 Jul 2011 23:16 #10 by Rick
OK, who wants to start a "Best of the Onion" thread? I've been reading it for many years and some of the stuff has really given me a good laugh when I needed it. Easy to search the oldies but goodies.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds