Harris Park Shooting Range

03 Jul 2011 11:20 #1 by 40coupe
As per article in Sunday, July 3, 2011 edition of Denver Post,

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_18400499

I should think that the Harris Parks shooting range, among others, would certainly qualify for the kind of improvements Sen. Udall is talking about...
Maybe, with a concentrated e-mailing/letter-writing effort from us, on behalf of the recreational users there at the HP range, he could be persuade to visit Harris Park and view the opportunity there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2011 11:53 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
And on the other site you accused people of Illegal shooting in the National Forest.
Per USFS news letter the range is open for those willing to hike in.

03 Jul 2011 16:40 #3 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... %20Notices

Took alot of searching but here is what I found. And I still don't understand why it is still closed (to vehicles) if the logging is done. Its been 2 years the areas back here have been closed most of the time by our friends at the Forest Service. They also left a heck of alot of slash and wood laying around, so not sure how much the fire danger has been reduced.

# Order 11-08 Harris Park Restriction

Area(s): South Platte Ranger District

Date(s): Jun 1, 2011 - Dec 31, 2011

Pursuant to Title 16 U.S.C. § 551, and Title 36, C.F.R. § 261.50 (a), the following act is prohibited on a portion of National Forest System lands within the South Platte Ranger District of the Pike National Forest, Park County, State of Colorado, hereinafter referred to as the Restricted Area. This order is necessary for short-term resource protection.

PROHIBITIONS:

Operating motorized vehicles in the Restricted Area, from June 1, 2011, through midnight, December 31, 2011, is prohibited. (36 C.F.R. § 261.54(a))

Click here for Order 11-08
Click here for Exhibit A, Map

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Jul 2011 17:01 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
Looks like there is more. Get used to it, heavy handed government control! We are from the government and are here to help!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... %20Notices

Harris Park Area Shooting Closure

Date(s): Jul 28, 2010 - Jul 28, 2015

Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551, and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), the following acts are prohibited on the South Platte Ranger District, Pike National Forest, in Park County, Park County Road 43, National Forest System Roads 100A, 47A, 102, 102A, 107, 107A, 108 and 108A as described in this Order and as depicted on the attached map hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A.

PROHIBITIONS:
1. Discharging a firearm, air rifle or gas gun. 36 C.F.R. § 261.58(m) ...
(Click for complete order)

Exhibit A-Map

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

03 Jul 2011 17:41 #5 by 40coupe
Replied by 40coupe on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
So, martinent/'billy': is the range closed, and the shooters 'illegal'? or not...

If the range is officially closed, then anyone shooting there would be doing so illegally...
Did you wanna stay up late debating 'officially', 'illegally' or how many angels can dance on the head of yer pin?

:wink:

03 Jul 2011 18:22 #6 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
Funny how if you're actively hunting during an open season then it's okay. Seems to me that them boys are tired of people leaving all their spent shells and effin' trash laying around. Wouldn't be the first OR last time, but there's not too many options (open FREE ranges) left. People want free shooting ranges, but they get upset when the FS closes them down due to abuse. Just MO and there's no statement of fact, but I gotta strong feeling.

04 Jul 2011 10:34 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
Range is open to those that want to hike in.
You can shoot in the Nat Forest anytime unless they post a NO shooting area.
Can't believe you live here and say you are a shooter/hunter and do not know this.

04 Jul 2011 11:31 #8 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551, and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), the following acts are prohibited on the South Platte Ranger District, Pike National Forest, in Park County, Park County Road 43, National Forest System Roads 100A, 47A, 102, 102A, 107, 107A, 108 and 108A as described in this Order and as depicted on the attached map hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A.

You CANNOT hike in and shoot anywhere back there unless you are hunting. This will be in effect until the order is rescinded. You need to go back to the web site and look deeper. Can't believe you live/hunt up here and aren't fully informed.

Kind of off topic: HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

04 Jul 2011 14:25 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Call em, we also got the info from the USFS Law enforcement officer that is resposible for checking on the gate here.

04 Jul 2011 15:33 #10 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Harris Park Shooting Range
If people weren't such slobs and idiots, that place would still be open. I am a firm believer that the federal government has over reached its hand far too often and trampled on states and individual rights. But in this case, I think the FS is correct in shutting this down.

I’ve shot there I taken out more trash than I taken in and participated in at least one clean up day, but within 2 weeks after a cleanup day the place is once again trashed. People bring all kinds of crap up there to shoot at then leave it scattered about. The only things I haven’t seen are old cars and large appliances. Why the hell do they need to shoot trees? Range safety, it’s a joke at that place, people shoot in all directions. It’s not just at this range but I’ve seen those same slobs and idiots all over the forest. I’m sorry to see that place closed down, but I understand the FS reason.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds