Labor Sec Hilda Solis Pledges To Help 'Illegals' get Fair Pa

22 Jun 2010 19:00 #11 by The Viking

Science Chic wrote: Sorry Viking, this lib wasn't trying to ignore this thread - I was typing a response 2 hours ago but kept getting interrupted by my kids and the gas company technician! :) Got timed out in the middle of my post.

I would be interested in finding out of Solis made these comments of her own volition or because of a directive from above, especially before laying any blame on the White House.

No, I absolutely do NOT think we should be fighting to make sure illegals are compensated fairly. Matter of fact, I think we should be making sure we collect taxes and SS from anyone working here. And we need to be cracking down on companies who hire them. Make it less profitable for companies and workers by better tracking and enforcement. Will that hurt our economy, likely. We won't collect enough in taxes to equal the cheap labor savings, but it'll make everyone feel better, right?

I think we agree on something here. And You can't honestly believe that The Secretary of Labor would pay for and put an ad on the Department of Labor's website promoting fair pay for illegals and to contact them and they will fight for their 'rights' (Isn't Illegal Rights and oxy moron?) without Obama knowing about it and giving the OK?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 13:50 #12 by The Viking
So seriously, no one other that Science Chic has the courage to discuss this very important issue where this Administration is wanting to help illegal immigrants fight for higher pay with the Government's help? Right after promising to crack down on businesses who hire them?

23 Jun 2010 14:54 #13 by Wayne Harrison
If you look at the actual video (not the Fox regurgitate) you'll see the Labor secretary is trying to help ALL workers in the U.S. get an honest wage.

[youtube:2x3setqt]
[/youtube:2x3setqt]

I don't think illegals should be given jobs in the U.S. but I also don't think the U.S. could get by without them now. I also don't think if an illegal is doing the same work a citizen could do they should be paid less. You have to have a SS number to work in the U.S. They use fake SS numbers and identities to get hired. All those payroll taxes go into the government coffer and the government keeps the money.

23 Jun 2010 14:58 #14 by FredHayek
Bright Side: If they do have to pay illegals the same wages, it might encourage more employers to hire Americans.

But...I think if employers are willing to risk the fines of hiring illegals, they are also will short pay them too. I know one contractor who used to call the INS on his own worksites before payday to avoid paying his workers.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Jun 2010 15:08 #15 by Grady
Of course we can get by without illegals. A good well managed guest worker program would take care of that issue. You ensure the workers return to their country of origin by withholding a good portion or their pay until they are back in their own land. Or better yet chip them with an RFID chip when they cross the border to go to work.

You have to have a SS number to work in the U.S. They use fake SS numbers and identities to get hired. All those payroll taxes go into the government coffer and the government keeps the money.

That is true unless they are paid under the table, which many are. Even so those monies collected do not come anywhere close to covering the costs to us incurred by the illegal population.

23 Jun 2010 16:20 #16 by Gringa

Grady wrote: Of course we can get by without illegals. A good well managed guest worker program would take care of that issue. You ensure the workers return to their country of origin by withholding a good portion or their pay until they are back in their own land. Or better yet chip them with an RFID chip when they cross the border to go to work.

You have to have a SS number to work in the U.S. They use fake SS numbers and identities to get hired. All those payroll taxes go into the government coffer and the government keeps the money.

That is true unless they are paid under the table, which many are. Even so those monies collected do not come anywhere close to covering the costs to us incurred by the illegal population.

I absolutely agree with this post except for one thing, which I will get to later. This is exactly what I meant by "reform". Perhaps you have a different meaning, but, we have to have a guest worker program. It will encourage people to go back home after their work is finished without fear they will have to pay a coyote $4000 to get them back over next season and risk their lives by the dangerous crossing.

I do believe the SS and taxes that are collected by the Federal government is immense. It is the states that are picking up the tab.....thus the reason the Feds do not want the border closed.

23 Jun 2010 16:23 #17 by ScienceChic

Grady wrote: Of course we can get by without illegals. A good well managed guest worker program would take care of that issue. You ensure the workers return to their country of origin by withholding a good portion or their pay until they are back in their own land. Or better yet chip them with an RFID chip when they cross the border to go to work.

:yeahthat:
Except I'm not sure that it would be legal to withhold pay that they've worked for and earned, or to chip them (that's going down the road of scary government surveillance) but if we could find the man-power to well-manage a guest worker program issuing visas and making sure they left when expiration came, it seems like a win-win. This world is getting smaller and it's becoming less unusual to move to another country to work now - let's make that easier, and at the same time be able to collect what we are due in taxes.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jun 2010 17:02 #18 by bailey bud
I say - "let her do it!"

The "unfair" pay is what makes "illegal" workers so attractive to employers.

That said - what she's saying is mostly a bunch of political babble.

If employers are willing to hire "illegal" workers -- they're unlikely willing to adhere to legal working requirements.

23 Jun 2010 17:14 #19 by RivendaleFarms
I heard on the radio yesterday that there have already been more deportations under the Obama administration in the first 17 months than there were during Bush's entire time in office. I'm still trying to find a source to back it up since I missed the source on the air. Am also trying to find the stats on the "black hole" of SS and employment tax that Wayne mentioned that illegal immigrants do pay into the system but obviously never get back out of it. I've heard some pretty astronomical numbers but am trying to find a valid and accurate source of the true estimated amounts - any ideas?

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

23 Jun 2010 18:14 #20 by Gringa

RivendaleFarms wrote: I heard on the radio yesterday that there have already been more deportations under the Obama administration in the first 17 months than there were during Bush's entire time in office. I'm still trying to find a source to back it up since I missed the source on the air. Am also trying to find the stats on the "black hole" of SS and employment tax that Wayne mentioned that illegal immigrants do pay into the system but obviously never get back out of it. I've heard some pretty astronomical numbers but am trying to find a valid and accurate source of the true estimated amounts - any ideas?

I tried to find those figures 3 years ago when I first raised this issue as why the government will not secure the border. I doubt you will ever find them. Please post them if you do.....

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds