Labor Sec Hilda Solis Pledges To Help 'Illegals' get Fair Pa

23 Jun 2010 18:53 #21 by RivendaleFarms
I'm a-diggin'. Stay tuned.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 19:06 #22 by LOL

Of course we can get by without illegals. A good well managed guest worker program would take care of that issue.

I am willing to listen to ideas. I am skeptical though. This sounds like a half- baked approach, "don't ask don't tell"

Legally what is their status, rights and liabilities as a guest worker, non-citizen? If they don't know how to drive, speak English, get car insurance and hit my ass, then go back home, who do I sue? Diplomatic Immunity? What happens when they get hurt and get $50K of ER service? What happens when they commit a crime? etc.etc. Guest worker sounds like legalized exploitation to me.

I think I'd rather pay more for vegetables. But I am listening to ideas, please continue.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

23 Jun 2010 20:34 #23 by The Viking

bailey bud wrote: I say - "let her do it!"

The "unfair" pay is what makes "illegal" workers so attractive to employers.

That said - what she's saying is mostly a bunch of political babble.

If employers are willing to hire "illegal" workers -- they're unlikely willing to adhere to legal working requirements.

OK, let me ask you this then. If they have a law on the books that says you can not have false identification, and be here illegally and if you are found to be you will be detained and deported. Then if an illegal immigrant comes to them to ask for help are they suppose to ignore that law and let them stay and just give them more money since they came forward? And what happens to the companies who hired them? Obama and both parties said they want to crack down on them and fine them. Should they still do that and then let them keep the illegal immigrant as an employee? How does that work?

23 Jun 2010 20:44 #24 by The Viking
Here is what I propose. Any illegal that is found out should be detained and or deported. This includes all hospitals having to report them. If hosptials refuse they lose some government funding. Every illegal should be fingerprinted, photographed and recorded just like all Americans who commit a crime have to do. Mexico does it and so do many other countries. If they return, the first time they get 30 days in jail kind of like a second DUI. The third time they get a year at least. I will skip the fine. It would be nice for their families in Mexico to send some money back this way but they are struggling enough. That should be a huge deterent for them.

Now the companies who hire them. They get one chance. First of all if they agree to hire Americans for all of their jobs at, at least minimum wage, before getting caught with them, they will recieve some sort of credit for a year to help with the difference in employee cost. It is still cheaper than paying for illegal immigrants to stay.

Second, if a company is 'caught' with illegal immigrants working there, they get a large fine which will be reduced significantly as long as they hire Americans to fill those jobs at, at least minimum wage. After that if they are caught again hiring illegal immingrants at no matter what wages, they will recieve a huge fine. the third time can include some prison time. That should be a great incentive and deterent for companies. If the government is going to fight for at least minimum wages for all employees, then they need to be legal. I will totally support that.

23 Jun 2010 21:21 #25 by bailey bud
Viking - it's political babble

If an employer is willing to hire an illegal ---- why on earth would they worry about observing regulations about fair pay???

What you have here is politicians tipping their hats at the most rapidly growing demographic in America (the Hispanic/Latino population) ---- just to ensure they retain the group's vote.

It won't improve conditions for illegal labor ---- and no --- I doubt it will reduce the incidence of illegal labor.

What it WILL do is gain votes.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds