Poll: Do You Miss George W?

07 Jul 2010 17:15 #21 by LopingAlong
PS, I haven't had a minute to look into any of the candidates, I admit upfront that I know nothing about any of them. So, kowing that, who do you think is the best candidate and why? Not because they are Dem or Rep or Conservative or liberal. Just who is the best and why? In your opinion. Maybe what I really want to know is what makes the best Senator?
Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2010 17:16 - 07 Jul 2010 17:18 #22 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Poll: Do You Miss George W?

PrintSmith wrote: If Bennet does win the primary and the fall election and is returned to Washington for another 6 years where he has the opportunity to visit more harm upon the nation than he did with his deciding vote for cloture on "Health Care Reform" it will be because so many Democrats voted for a member of their party instead of the best possible Senator.........

:rofl

In your opinion....as you say.

Do as you wish, I just think it is dishonest to register as a democrat to effect their choice for who runs for senate......why not pick who you WANT to represent your party?

07 Jul 2010 17:17 #23 by PrintSmith

LopingAlong wrote: In reality, the two party system promotes this ignorant sheep-herd mentality better than anything else. Most people are too lazy (or too ignorant) IMO to make up their own minds. It's easier to say that we are on Team A and therefore will do what the Team A people tell us to do. NO need to think, to decide what we like. We figure we've signed up for the team because we like their symbolic meaning and so no need for any further thought. Just follow the herd, do as the team coach says we should, carry on. Until that changes, this idiotic pattern will continue and just get worse.

Oh please Loping - the two party partisan battle has been part and parcel of this country's politics since Washington told everyone he wouldn't accept a third term. It is almost tame today compared to what it was in the 19th century. You think this is bad? You should read a little more about the intrigue that went on between about 1796 and 1850.

07 Jul 2010 17:27 - 23 Jun 2013 15:48 #24 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

07 Jul 2010 17:44 #25 by PrintSmith

LopingAlong wrote: PS, I haven't had a minute to look into any of the candidates, I admit upfront that I know nothing about any of them. So, kowing that, who do you think is the best candidate and why? Not because they are Dem or Rep or Conservative or liberal. Just who is the best and why? In your opinion. Maybe what I really want to know is what makes the best Senator?
Thank you in advance!

What, in my mind, makes the best Senator is the realization that they are there to serve the best interests of the state they are representing, not the best interests of the party they belong to. That particular aspect of being a Senator has been all but lost since the selection of Senators was given to the popular vote of the people instead of having them chosen by the legislatures of the states to represent them at the national level. No Senator, looking at it from the perspective of representing their state legislature, would have saddled that legislature with paying half of the bill for a Medicare program mandated by the federal government. No, that was party politics above representing state interests, pure and simple.

I've seen what Romanoff championed as Speaker of the Colorado House, and I can't say that I liked what I saw enough to contemplate sending him to the federal Congress as a Senator. Bennet could have stopped the Obamacare bribes dead in their tracks, and didn't, despite his public admonition of them just prior to voting for the legislation.

I'm not an especially big fan of Norton either, too much history of involvement with the "spend like a drunken Democrat" Republicans that populated both houses of Congress once they wrested control of Congress for the first time in 50 years away from the Democrats. Which leaves me looking at Buck, and the best I can say about him is that there is at least a fair chance that he'll follow through on what he says he will do. I still think his outlook is not properly focused on representing the state of Colorado legislature at the national level, but that has more to do with the changes that have occurred as a result of the 17th Amendment being ratified and I am pretty certain that no current candidate, in any state, shares my opinion that Senators are there to represent their state legislatures in the national Congress anymore since they are not beholden to that body in this day and age for their elevation to the Senate.

07 Jul 2010 17:47 #26 by PrintSmith

archer wrote: Do as you wish, I just think it is dishonest to register as a democrat to effect their choice for who runs for senate......why not pick who you WANT to represent your party?

If you knew me better archer you would know I would never, for any reason, register as a Democrat - it would ruin what is left of my reputation. :biggrin:

07 Jul 2010 17:55 #27 by LopingAlong
I like how you describe what makes the best Senator. Thank you.
I guess I don't see why you'd consider not voting For who you want in the primaries.

07 Jul 2010 21:46 #28 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Poll: Do You Miss George W?
Have not really followed this thread. No I don't miss W, or Kerry, or Gore, or Greenspan .......... I am pretty disgusted with all of them since Reagan.

I do miss Carter though, I could be earning some decent interest on my savings account instead of 0% subsidizing 4% mortgages for rich folks vacation homes.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Jul 2010 14:09 #29 by Tilt
Replied by Tilt on topic Poll: Do You Miss George W?
:yeahthat: And you can add the 2 Toads before
those two Toads.
Printsmith--political correct name for Sheep voters is
Groupie voters :wink:

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds