Free Ringtone "You didn't build that!"

05 Sep 2012 01:21 #21 by archer
So now a candidate has to "straighten it out" for those who have chosen to misinterpret what he has said? It sure seemed pretty clear to me, and it has been explained over, and over, and over again what was meant/intended by his statement.......Why, especially, should he retract what he said? It does take a whole system to create the environment for people and business to flourish.....what is built here in the US "on your own" would not be possible in most any other country. In our great country dreams are possible, building a life is possible, creating a business or art or music of your own choosing is possible, but it is the country, the education, the infrastructure, etc. that helps you do that and realize your dream. Why can't people who succeed give some credit to the very country that helped make it all possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2012 06:53 #22 by LOL

CinnamonGirl wrote:

Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

I am actually in an internet history class right now and that is NOT why the internet was invented. It started out in academics and the first computer was built in the world war to decipher war messages without going over a radio. Then physicists used it and academics for email. When it started going viral, no one thought about making money until well after it was invented. So, there is one fact that is wrong. Government research did make the first computer. But colleges made the internet happen.

I am perfectly willing to say that he meant that 'it takes a village". If he has straightened us out somewhere please let me know. But he has not said that he retracts anything. OR meant it different, as far as I know. Somebody else made that happen, you didn't do it?

Now, I did not post the whole thing but here is a transcript.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... e-virginia

Good point CG, the internet quote is another typical Obama spin and ding on businesses. Surprising that sentence didn't receive more scrutiny. It was hardly developed simply to make money for companies. LOL Another typical Obama business slam.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

05 Sep 2012 11:47 #23 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Free Ringtone "You didn't build that!"
I don't know if that was a typical spin I just know it was incorrect. There is a lot of misinformation on who and why the internet was invented. I actually had prodigy once. There were about 200 websites at that time and I thought it was sort of pointless but probably 3-6 months later AOL was born. And the internet took off. My brother and I were one of the first people to get cable internet back with AT&T.

I think he just got it wrong. That is all I am saying. He said it I didn't. If we got it wrong tell us but I don't think that statement was misinterpreted. I understand what he said int he beginning of the paragraph. But he said we didn't do it someone else did and from his past statements and actions I take that to mean everyone deserves a piece of your business. I don't look at it that way. Not saying he did anything deliberate. It is what it is.

05 Sep 2012 18:06 #24 by PrintSmith

archer wrote: So now a candidate has to "straighten it out" for those who have chosen to misinterpret what he has said? It sure seemed pretty clear to me, and it has been explained over, and over, and over again what was meant/intended by his statement.......Why, especially, should he retract what he said? It does take a whole system to create the environment for people and business to flourish.....what is built here in the US "on your own" would not be possible in most any other country. In our great country dreams are possible, building a life is possible, creating a business or art or music of your own choosing is possible, but it is the country, the education, the infrastructure, etc. that helps you do that and realize your dream. Why can't people who succeed give some credit to the very country that helped make it all possible?

Why is it so hard to see that the means to mass produce cars is what drove the development of better roads? Henry Ford didn't set out to build a car so that the roads built by government would be useful, did he? Of course not. It is advances in commerce which drive advances elsewhere, not the other way around. The government didn't build the Hoover Dam or the Golden Gate bridge, it fronted the money for their construction. The government didn't build our interstate highway system, it fronted the money for its construction. We both built the infrastructure and then repaid the money that was fronted for its construction, which was, by the way, originally appropriated from what we built to begin with. Government does not build, it consumes. The larger it grows the more of what others build it consumes.

Publicly funded education does indeed promote the general welfare of the union. That is quite a different thing from having public schools staffed by public union employees and proclaiming that their existence is the best possible means by which the general welfare of the union will be enhanced. Public buildings staffed with public union employees may be the current means of distribution, but it is not by default the best one that there is. The more involved the federal government has become in the local responsibility of education, the more expensive the education has become and the less robust the education received has been. That, to me at least, appears to be opposite of the desired course that promotes the general welfare of the union in having a high percentage of the population educated. We owe it to everyone, taxpayers and children alike, to see if a better paradigm exists which will improve the degree to which the children are educated and lower the burden on the taxpayer at the same time. The way we find that out is to experiment to see if we can arrive at a better combination than the one we are currently using. You don't have a problem with making progress rather than being stuck with a system that is both inefficient and ineffective, do you archer?

05 Sep 2012 18:37 #25 by Martin Ent Inc
Obama is too egotistical and arrogant to ever backstep.

05 Sep 2012 18:49 #26 by CinnamonGirl
That is an interesting statement Printsmith. Just FYI, on the history of the internet. Churchhill signed a proclamation and order to put unlimited funds on building a way to send messages without using radio. They put 10,000 people and unlimited funds on it. And paid for the best and brightest minds. If we did not have that war, we would not have computers or the internet. I am not advocating wars, however amazing things happen during extraordinary circumstances. Going to the moon brought us technology that would have never been here without the space program.

Our schools have major issues. My daughter was told that girls were bad at math. I swear one of the 'best" school systems in the state supposedly told her and I that. I spent every minute of the day telling her that was not true. I saw what it did to her. She believed she could not do math and if you notice there was a huge disparity with women in the science field until about 10 years ago. Now there are many more at schools like School of mines. That tells me the secret is out, girls can do math. I believe that absolutely had something to do with it. We have become more interested in teachers being treated fairly and unions rather than focusing on excellence and telling each and every child they make a difference and can do amazing things. Why can't we have both? There is a huge hole in the standards. I think starting with our schools would make a huge difference. I had to take my kids out and put them in a private school for a while because of the problems. They need competition. Competition makes everyone better. That was 285bound.com's motto for the first year of this site.

05 Sep 2012 18:50 #27 by Soulshiner
He doesn't need to backstep. He meant what he said, no matter how much the right tries to misinterpret it. Basing your whole campaign on a lie says a lot about them...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

05 Sep 2012 19:08 #28 by Martin Ent Inc
Brilliant another statement by uh,,,

06 Sep 2012 09:27 #29 by CinnamonGirl
[youtube:1dn2ixuv]
[/youtube:1dn2ixuv]

07 Sep 2012 23:09 #30 by Raees

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds