Offshore Tactics Helped Increase Romneys’ Wealth

02 Oct 2012 21:01 #1 by LadyJazzer

Offshore Tactics Helped Increase Romneys’ Wealth

Buried deep in the tax returns released by Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign are references to dozens of offshore holdings with names like Ursa Funding (Luxembourg) S.à.r.l. and Sankaty Credit Opportunities Investors (Offshore) IV, based in the Cayman Islands.

Mr. Romney, responding to opponents’ barbs about his use of overseas tax havens, has offered a narrow defense, saying only that the investments, many made through the private equity firm he founded, Bain Capital, have yielded him “not one dollar of reduction in taxes.”

A review of thousands of pages of financial documents and interviews with tax lawyers found that in some cases, the offshore arrangements enabled his individual retirement account to avoid taxes on its investments and may well have reduced Mr. Romney’s personal income tax bills.

But perhaps a more significant impact of Mr. Romney’s offshore investments has been on the profit side of the ledger — in the way Bain’s tax-avoidance strategies have enhanced his income.

Some of the offshore entities enabled Bain-owned companies to sidestep certain taxes, increasing returns for Mr. Romney and other investors. Others helped Bain attract foreign investors and nonprofit institutions by insulating them from taxes, again augmenting Mr. Romney’s bottom line, since he shared in management fees based on the size of each Bain fund.

The documents — which include confidential Bain prospectuses and foreign regulatory filings, many previously unreported — illustrate how these tax-avoidance strategies are woven into the fabric of Bain’s deal making.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/02/us/po ... wanted=all

So, I guess he thought that all the brouhaha over the "47%" disaster would take everybody's minds off of the tax-returns. I don't think he counted on a team of forensic accounts pouring over what they DO have, cross-matching it what they could get from Bain through other means, and cross-linking that to the obvious untruthful statements that Mittens has made during the campaign.

I find it even more devastating that he shows his contempt for the "47%" who (for whatever legal and valid reasons) are not required to pay federal income tax, (while paying all the other taxes, and drawing out the money they already paid taxes on); while using every tax-avoidance scam in the books to hide his money, avoid paying taxes on it, and manipulate the returns after-the-fact to come up with an effective-rate that tries to fit the narrative he's concocted.

Has he broken any laws? I don't know. The IRS doesn't have him doing a perp-walk....yet. Does he REALLY think the 47% are going to look at this and think, "Wow... That guy sure must understand what I go through in my daily life..." (...and probably dwells on it while he's gassing up the backup yacht.).....

I have a feeling this forensic digging into the convoluted cover-up is not over... And I'm sure he'll have plenty of time to sort it out...after the election is over, and he returns to whichever one of his numerous homes he decides to go to next...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Oct 2012 07:18 #2 by FredHayek
Once again you are showing why this country needs Romney, he is a doer and a guy who understands how to make things turn out for the best.

Obama just whines about his current predicament and continues to make empty promises he doesn't have a clue on how he will actually deliver.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 Oct 2012 07:59 #3 by bailey bud
I don't really see anything wrong with what Romney has done with his money.

I suppose there might be some room for accusations of him being un-American.
(I'd disagree with that - sheltering one's assets is completely American)

I'm a far cry from "high net worth" --- but I once considered setting up an account in Jersey (no - not the east coast region just outside of NYC). It simply was not worth the hassle for me. My annual saving would have been around $75.

03 Oct 2012 08:08 #4 by LadyJazzer
Let's put this another way...

The billionaires and millionaires are most worried that Obama will affect their incomes and close loopholes that they use to hide their money from taxation. (Off-shore tax-shelters; capital gains rates; charitable deductions, etc.)

The poor and middle-class are most worried that RMoney will affect their incomes and close loopholes that they use to keep as much of their meager incomes as they can. (mortgage interest, state/local taxes, medical deductions, some charitable deductions)

Hint: Approximately 1-2% of the population falls into the first category (the top 1% controls 42% of the wealth; if you expand it to the top 2%, it's over 50% of the wealth); the other 98-99% fall into the second category.

If all of the 1-2% vote for RMoney, and all of the rest vote in their own best interests, (except for the folks on the right who are still deluded into thinking that somehow it will trickle-down to them), it's not hard to see why the numbers are the way they are.

Since the poll numbers are a LOT closer than 2%-to-98% the rest can be safely categorized as the "anyone-but-Obama"/Obama-haters crowd. And no matter how bad, unethical and corrupt Mittens is shown to be; (and no matter if Obama could walk across the White House swimming pool without getting the bottoms of his feet wet), they will vote for Mittens.

We need RMoney like a fish needs a bicycle. The only thing he appears to be good at is hiding his money, and sending other people's jobs off-shore and screwing companies that he's "harvested", (mostly to China), while running commercials that say "He'll stop China from cheating."

You can't make this stuff up.

03 Oct 2012 08:15 #5 by FredHayek
But you are only thinking about tax policy, every day we hear more stories about people who went from earning 80K under "W" to $8 an hour under Obama. We have seen Obama and his 1% growth just isn't cutting it. It is just like the football coach who keeps wins one more game every year but the country is still under .500.

Time for a new man and a new plan, from someone who understands high finance and private industry versus a man who admittedly says he has a tough time slogging through economic reports.
Mitt eats this stuff up, and for Obama, it is one of the parts of the job he thinks suck. Barack would much rather help out the poor than figure out how to stimulate the economy and business to create better conditions.

03 Oct 2012 08:32 #6 by LadyJazzer
Then vote for him...

...In the end, I'm not voting for the Social Darwinism Party...

03 Oct 2012 08:42 #7 by FredHayek

Democracy4Sale wrote: Then vote for him...

...In the end, I'm not voting for the Social Darwinism Party...

The Social Darwin party that has never trimmed back the social net, at best, only increasing it at a slower rate?

Doesn't sound like much of a Social Darwin party. "W" who decreased the pool of lower income people who pay taxes versus Clinton who increased the number of poor who paid income taxes.

But keep your illogical platitudes coming.

03 Oct 2012 10:24 #8 by ScienceChic

FredHayek wrote: Once again you are showing why this country needs Romney, he is a doer and a guy who understands how to make things turn out for the best.

Do Businessmen Make Good Presidents?
Doug Mataconis · Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The question, though, is whether any of these assumptions that people have about the ability of businessmen, or anyone from outside the political system of that matter, to function at the top of the political ladder are true. Bloomberg’s David Lynch argues, quite convincingly, that they aren’t :

There’s no equivalent in the corporate world to the separation of powers that often thwarts a president’s will. And the job demands political savvy more than managerial excellence.

“Our entire system of government is meant to preclude models and skills used in the corporate world, which may be why presidents with business experience are not our most successful presidents,” says Barbara Perry, a senior fellow at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center.

Perhaps the most important point that Lynch makes is that, contrary to the way people seem to frequently put it, the Presidency is not like being a Chief Executive Officer. When a corporate CEO makes a decision, he can reasonably expect that what he decides will be what actually happens, and if it doesn’t then he’s going to fire someone. No such luck for a President. ...there is still much that an American President cannot do without the agreement of other branches of government. Often this means having to negotiate with a Congress controlled in whole or in part by the opposing party...

This Is What a Businessman in the White House Looks Like
Ben Adler on June 21, 2012

Bush, the first “MBA president” and his powerful Vice President Dick Cheney, who had been CEO of Halliburton, disproved the notion that businessmen are efficient managers or fiscally responsible in public office. The Bush-Cheney record—bungled occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, the non-response to Hurricane Katrina, exploding national debt—and recent economic history should make Romney’s pitch a bad one for this election cycle.

And yet here is Romney, acting as if businessmen hawking deregulation and tax cuts are the solution to our economic and budgetary woes, not the cause of them. He has even gone so far as to favorably mention a proposal to amend the Constitution to require three years of business experience to be president. This, of course, would have disqualified great wartime leaders such as Abraham Lincoln and Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Even looking just at the historical economic record, Romney’s argument doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. The economy has not performed better under presidents who had business experience.

How does familiarity with spreadsheets tell you what do about the unrest in Syria? Does having met a payroll make you better qualified to select Supreme Court justices? (George W. Bush’s initial selection of his under-qualified crony Harriet Miers suggests that it does not.)

Ultimately, governing is about policy choices, not creating wealth.

Read this one as I was getting my hair done this week, and just liked the info about Lincoln - it hammered home the point to me that having business experience, or being a "good" businessman has little to do with being a good president - it's different skill sets. You have to be able to get diverse viewpoints to work together and compromise. Romney has demonstrated that he might be able to do that, but it's highly unlikely given how he's perceived as weak and inconsistent, and with as divisive as the two major parties have gotten.
The Hiring of the President
By Todd S. Purdum
September 2012

The greatest presidents? Notable business failures almost to a man, if they had any business experience at all. Abraham Lincoln racked up so many unpaid notes in his brief career as a storekeeper in New Salem, Illinois, that he referred to the obligations as his “national debt.”

This is not to say that no successful businessmen have ever become president. A few have, among them Warren G. Harding (an Ohio newspaper publisher and editor), Herbert Hoo­ver (a multi-millionaire mining engineer, investor, and consultant), and Jimmy Car­ter (a Georgia peanut farmer and warehouse owner).

But no one would argue that the one-term presidencies of Harding, Hoover, or Carter were anything close to successes.

Why Businessmen Don’t Get Elected President
Michael Kazin
July 17, 2012

When he ascended to the White House in 1929, many commentators expected that Hoover’s organizational acumen would make him a brilliant, practical leader. But the onset of the Great Depression later that fall required the skills of a master politician, and Hoover, who had never run for office before, proved to be a less-than-mediocre one. A stiff and awkward speaker, he neither showed empathy for the jobless nor rallied Congress behind a credible plan to reverse the nation’s economic slide. After a career spent commanding his own organizations, Hoover was unable to adjust to a job that required persuasion, adaptation, and compromise.

More important, Romney fervently shares the same mistaken credo preached by Hoover, Perot, and Cain. They all believed that to do well in business, which requires dedication to the narrow welfare of one firm or economic sector, splendidly equips one to triumph in the presidency, which demands a talent for reconciling competing interests and voter blocs for the purpose of advancing a semblance of the common, national good. To get rich may be glorious. But it does not qualify you to represent the best ideals of the country or to make policy for the vast majority of Americans.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Oct 2012 10:42 #9 by appleannie

Bush, the first “MBA president” and his powerful Vice President Dick Cheney, who had been CEO of Halliburton, disproved the notion that businessmen are efficient managers or fiscally responsible in public office. The Bush-Cheney record—bungled occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, the non-response to Hurricane Katrina, exploding national debt—and recent economic history should make Romney’s pitch a bad one for this election cycle.

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone says that we need someone who understands running a business in there. Fercryinoutloud. It wasn't that long ago! "Needs to know how to run a business" is extremely low on the list of things that I look for in a president. And I don't consider knowing how to dodge paying taxes as an asset at all for the job.

03 Oct 2012 10:45 #10 by LadyJazzer

appleannie wrote:

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone says that we need someone who understands running a business in there. Fercryinoutloud. It wasn't that long ago! "Needs to know how to run a business" is extremely low on the list of things that I look for in a president. And I don't consider knowing how to dodge paying taxes as an asset at all for the job.

:yeahthat: :thumbsup: :like:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds