Paying for Education

04 Oct 2012 09:04 #1 by CC
Paying for Education was created by CC
Obama tried to embarrass Romney last night in a talking point regarding Romney commenting that young people should borrow money from their parents for college.
It would be great if they would actually just "borrow" the money.
How many of you have paid for all or part of your child's higher education?
Wasn't this just an expectation of a parental duty that comes with having and raising a child?
When did it become the governments job to educate our children?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2012 10:27 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Paying for Education
My parents paid for part of my college, and scholarships did the rest.

I have talked to some of my contemporaries with teens. Most expect to pay for college for their kids. Some have been planning since before birth. But they are also applying for athletic and academic scholarships like crazy. They weren't planning on tuitions rising five times as fast as inflation.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Oct 2012 10:27 #3 by cydl
Replied by cydl on topic Paying for Education
I borrowed from my parents - and paid them back. And I worked thru school to pay the rest.

04 Oct 2012 12:42 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Paying for Education

cydl wrote: I borrowed from my parents - and paid them back. And I worked thru school to pay the rest.

Same here... I worked at The Fort restaurant from 16 to 21 years old before I had enough money saved to get a BA in finance at Metro. My parents were broke and got a divorce when I was 16 so they were not in any position to help me.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Oct 2012 15:08 #5 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Paying for Education
I paid my own way through college, with the exception of a few semesters of tuition which my father paid for.

I worked a full time job during the day and went to night classes for a few years.

The Federal government uses the money it allocates for schools in order to project control over those institutions. In the last 4 years- the teachers unions and Colorado schools experienced this first hand when millions of dollars were diverted to other states instead of Colorado.

Colorado failed once again to receive a grant in the latest "Race to the Top" competition, the U.S. Department of Education announced this morning.

In the previous two rounds, Colorado was a finalist, but did not receive any funds.

North Carolina, Massachusetts, Washington, Delaware, Ohio, Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode Island and California were chosen to receive anywhere from $45 million to 70 million for the competition's Early Learning Challenge.

Read more: Colorado loses again in "Race to the Top" grant competition - The Denver Post www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19561915#ixzz28MlS2pW9

So the Federal government collects our taxes- and then proceeds to pick winners and losers - those states and schools who play by their rules get the money- and other states like Colorado get nothing. The Federal government uses grant and Dept of education money as power to get it's way- to get laws changed- to get unions to change rules- basically to bully it's way around the subject of education.

I would totally eliminate any funding of schools in any form at the Federal level- it dosn't belong there, it should not be part of the Federal Government at all. The money should be re-allocated back to the states where it was fleeced from in the first place- so that the states can use it to build schools and educate their students- after all- each state knows much more about what they need than does the Feds.

Beyond that the best reason for doing this is to hand this power and control back to the local government level where it belongs, and take this power to bully away from the Federal government.

04 Oct 2012 20:56 #6 by akilina
Replied by akilina on topic Paying for Education

Becky wrote: When did it become the governments job to educate our children?

Good point. But have you seen how easy it is to get loans while attending college? Some racking up $300,000 in debt. All you have to do is sign and it will pay for your rent, pizza and delivery cuz you couldn't possibly have time to make anything or work with all the partying, er studying that is being done.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

04 Oct 2012 22:08 #7 by PonyTail
Replied by PonyTail on topic Paying for Education
My son worked full time and went to college full time, graduating with a 3.49 and no debt to anyone. On the other hand I worked with a 38 year old man who was a career grant student. He would sign up for classes, drop them but kept the grant money, pouring it into a hot rod. A freaking hot rod!

Proud of my son!

Disgusted with the career grant student.

04 Oct 2012 22:37 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Paying for Education

PonyTail wrote: My son worked full time and went to college full time, graduating with a 3.49 and no debt to anyone. On the other hand I worked with a 38 year old man who was a career grant student. He would sign up for classes, drop them but kept the grant money, pouring it into a hot rod. A freaking hot rod!

Proud of my son!

Disgusted with the career grant student.

If Obama had a son he would look like your career grant student. rofllol

05 Oct 2012 09:43 #9 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Paying for Education

Blazer Bob wrote: If Obama had a son he would look like your career grant student. rofllol

I think that's an unfair assumption to make. His daughters seem bright and self-sufficient, although we don't really know all that much about them so can't make too many assumptions about them either, but Obama certainly isn't a career grant student.

I worked and I got $6,000 in loans to supplement the scholarships which didn't cover everything, and my parents paid for half of mine and my brother's tuitions. I paid everything back within 7 years of graduating, but that included the post-graduate $6k loan I needed too, and the 2 years while I was in grad school that I didn't have to pay on my undergrad loan. There's nothing wrong with getting loans as long as you are planning ahead for how to pay them off and keeping them as minimal as possible so you don't end up with exorbitant debt when starting a low-paying job fresh out of school. I am against abuses like PonyTail's description above, and disagree with students who get extra for play money, but it's their choice if they want to screw themselves over like that. I think there's bigger issues with education costs, but I don't know how to start fixing them. There's also a problem with the thinking that everyone has to go to college in order to make a good life.
Just my $0.02.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Oct 2012 11:38 #10 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Paying for Education
My parents paid some of my BA - but I paid for 3/4ths of it with a scholarship.

I borrowed about $30,000 for my graduate degree (with a scholarship).

It was worth it, though.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds