Pakistani girl shot

09 Oct 2012 16:21 - 09 Oct 2012 17:24 #1 by bailey bud
Somewhere in Swat, Pakistan – a person politely labeled "extremist," is raising his hands and shouting a victorious "Allahu Akbar." He's celebrating his service to god, even as he rapes the sacred motto of its alleged meaning. G-d is great --- but the person who pulled the trigger thinks that he's even greater. He is officer, prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner. The victim's sin ---- having the balls (or perhaps more accurately - NOT having them) to get an education. She was a Muslim. She covered, she likely even prayed. Still, she was an obscenity in the eyes of the Taliban ---- an obscenity in the eyes of the obscene. An obscenity to a group of primitive goons who would just presume have the 14 year old girl in bed with her legs spread instead of in a classroom with her mind engaged.

People familiar with statistics and demographics in Pakistan will realize the assailant has a 1-in-3 chance of being named Mohammed. Pakistani Muslims - particularly the Taliban - have a huge fetish for the prophet's name. Apparently, they're uniquely entitled to that fetish. The Taliban would quickly kill a westerner for drawing a graven image, even though they are happy to commemorate the bi-product of their latest f*** using the same name. In any event, the Taliban’s Mohammed would kill a child for learning to read. Mohammed, the rightly guided, would happily lodge a bullet in a girl's neck, swearing to return to complete the good deed if she was insolent enough to survive.

I realize the army surgeons who are struggling to save Malala Yousufzai's life are likely Muslim. The President of Pakistan - who is arranging to fly Malala out (to the USA) for medical treatment ---- is likely Muslim. The Prime Minister who condemned the attack, is Muslim. The newspaper editor from DAWN, who condemned the attack is likely Muslim, too.

I've spent more than a few years defending the dignity of Muslims. Perhaps I've been mistaken.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Sou ... rn-culture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Oct 2012 16:27 #2 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Pakistani girl shot
Why is the girl being flown to the US? I thought our health care in this country wasn't all that great... why not send her to a closer country that has universal health care?

Sorry to stray off topic... the shooter should fly with her and be dropped off prior to landing.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Oct 2012 16:59 #3 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic Pakistani girl shot
Wow, BB. Change in tone is striking. Yes, these so-called "students"--Taliban--are definitely an obscenity. Cowards hiding behind a religion that, as I understand it, also condemns murder. It is alarming to think that there is so much support for them. We hear all about ethnic cleansing, but when it comes to crazy fanatics slaughtering women.... Not just Pakistan, but Afghanistan has seen its fair share of this type of mass murder too. Easier to control the uneducated?

09 Oct 2012 23:31 #4 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Pakistani girl shot
I suppose you might say I'm angry.........
Angry, frustrated, and downright cynical.

10 Oct 2012 05:27 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Pakistani girl shot
Very sad. I guess I am too used to the idea of free speech and universal free education to understand why the neanderthals are cheered for the crimes of violence against women.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Oct 2012 08:09 #6 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Pakistani girl shot
Watch what happens once we are out of there... I'd hate to be a woman in that region.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Oct 2012 08:40 #7 by FredHayek
Saw today in Afghanistan that they now have a female rapper. Wonder what her life expectancy is right now?

14 Oct 2012 18:09 #8 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Pakistani girl shot
Since it's an Associated Press story, I can't quote anything from it or share the picture. It's heartening to read though, check it out. The girl who was shot is slowly improving.

Thousands rally for Pakistani girl shot by Taliban
Written by Associated Press
Oct 14, 2012

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Oct 2012 18:11 #9 by FredHayek
Sad that people so fear an educated woman. The true war against women?

14 Oct 2012 18:56 #10 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Pakistani girl shot

FredHayek wrote: Sad that people so fear an educated woman. The true war against women?

One of many around the world, including right here at home. Just because the Republican war on women isn't violent, that doesn't make it any less troubling.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds