SCOTUS Approves Ohio Early-Voting On Final Weekend

16 Oct 2012 17:08 #1 by LadyJazzer

Supreme Court Approves Ohio Early Voting On Final Weekend Before Election Day

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a last-gasp appeal by Ohio Republicans and approved early voting for Ohio residents on the weekend before Election Day.

Ohio's Secretary of State John Husted had refused to enforce last week's appellate court decision, in which a three-judge panel came down on the side of the Obama campaign and blocked a law that would have limited early voting.

Husted remained adamant that Ohioans should not be allowed to vote on that weekend, which was a prime voting period for minorities in the 2008 election.

The Supreme Court's order was one line long: "The application for stay presented to Justice [Elena] Kagan and by her referred to the Court is denied."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 70603.html

Oh, darn... It would appear that the last gasp of the Ohio TeaPublican Sec of State to prevent early voting by specific groups has been denied. One more attempt at voter-suppression down the tubes... Wouldn't it be horrible if they had to actually try to win the election on ISSUES instead of cheating?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Oct 2012 18:41 #2 by FredHayek
Pity reply. How did you stay awake cutting and pasting that? I would have fallen asleep from boredom.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Oct 2012 18:47 #3 by LadyJazzer
The usual irrelevant non-reply reply... Thanks for playing... :lol: I realize you just can't help yourself.

16 Oct 2012 20:28 #4 by FredHayek
I thinking the rest of the board agrees with me. Too bored to reply. Bazinga!

16 Oct 2012 20:36 #5 by CC
She complains about sources like drudge?

16 Oct 2012 20:42 #6 by billonthehill
3 weeks to go!! :woo hoo:

A wise man keeps his mind open so that he may know when he is wrong.
Value your elders, They always have somthing to teach you.
The day I stop learning, Is the day I die! G.Mcf.W a man of his word.

16 Oct 2012 20:43 #7 by LadyJazzer
1) Fact: The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a last-gasp appeal by Ohio Republicans and approved early voting for Ohio residents on the weekend before Election Day.

Not open to "interpretation"...

2) Fact: Ohio's Secretary of State John Husted had refused to enforce last week's appellate court decision, in which a three-judge panel came down on the side of the Obama campaign and blocked a law that would have limited early voting.

Husted DID, in fact, refuse to enforce the decision... Not open to "interpretation."

3) Fact: Husted remained adamant that Ohioans should not be allowed to vote on that weekend,

Husted DID, in fact, remain adamant that voting should not be allowed that weekend, and that was the basis for the appeal to the SCOTUS.... Not open to "interpretation."

4) Fact: The Supreme Court's order was one line long: "The application for stay presented to Justice [Elena] Kagan and by her referred to the Court is denied."

The SCOTUS order is the SCOTUS order... It is also "not open to interpretation."

Whether it came from HuffPo, Reuters, FauxNews or any other source...The facts are the facts...

You don't like the source? Why don't you go out on Drudge, or RedState, or one of the other Rightie sources and see if you can find a different set of facts... (It shouldn't be too hard... They think they're entitled to a "different set of facts" on a regular basis...

:lol: God, I love it..

16 Oct 2012 21:14 #8 by Raees

Becky wrote: She complains about sources like drudge?

Here's another source: The Akron newspaper

COLUMBUS: The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for voters in the battleground state of Ohio to cast ballots on the three days before Election Day, giving Democrats and President Barack Obama’s campaign a victory three weeks before the election.

The court refused a request by the state’s Republican elections chief and attorney general to get involved in a battle over early voting.

Ohio is among 34 states, plus the District of Columbia, where people can vote early without giving any reason. About 30 percent of the swing state’s total vote — or roughly 1.7 million ballots — came in before Election Day in 2008.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/hig ... o-1.342561

Why on earth would the Republicans want to disenfranchise 1.7 MILLION voters?

17 Oct 2012 05:39 #9 by FredHayek
Denying them a weekend of voting does not constitute disenfranchising. Not sending out absentee ballots overseas in time does. The military can't fly home to vote on Election Day.

17 Oct 2012 09:27 #10 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: Denying them a weekend of voting does not constitute disenfranchising. Not sending out absentee ballots overseas in time does. The military can't fly home to vote on Election Day.

Wow...Since it is a Republican administration in Ohio, with a Republican Secretary of State, and Republican legislature trying to make the rules for voting, if you have a problem with how military ballots are mailed overseas from OHIO , perhaps you should be directing your inquiry to the Republicans in Ohio?

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds