I hope this is not true

27 May 2010 16:42 #21 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic I hope this is not true

PrintSmith wrote: And what better way could there be to celebrate the liberty purchased with their blood than to enjoy the freedom that they gave the last full measure of their devotion to secure for the posterity of the nation?

How about going to a national cemetary (or any for that matter) and paying respect, or helping out a disabled vet, or sending a decent care package to a soldier that you don't even know or just thanking one for that matter?

For most it is just another long weekend.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 May 2010 18:04 #22 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic I hope this is not true
Hey, I'm not agreeing with everything this guys says, it's just another point of view and he does make a few good points. And I'm from a military family, my father was career Air Force, my uncles are both highly decorated officers in the army, and my mothers side is littered with war heroes- and I'll be celebrating Memorial Day along with everybody else by bar-b-queuing, drinking beer, watching sports and spending time with the family

You may want to bypass the first few paragrahps of this friends- It's a little over the top-
http://www.buffalobeast.com/126/Fuck.th ... urphy.html

27 May 2010 18:06 #23 by Sunshine Girl

Photo-fish wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: And what better way could there be to celebrate the liberty purchased with their blood than to enjoy the freedom that they gave the last full measure of their devotion to secure for the posterity of the nation?

How about going to a national cemetary (or any for that matter) and paying respect, or helping out a disabled vet, or sending a decent care package to a soldier that you don't even know or just thanking one for that matter?

For most it is just another long weekend.

What a nice thought. You could always drop off some goodies for the troops and leave them in the box outside King Soopers as a small gesture too. :sunshine:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

27 May 2010 18:10 #24 by Wayne Harrison
The Right Wing's Memorial Day Attack on Obama

There's a hole in the bottom of the ocean. Unemployment is still near 10 percent. There are two wars underway. And what are conservative pundits fretting about? That this year President Obama won't be laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

You'd think these folks would have better things to gripe about. And Obama is not retreating on Memorial Day. (What president would?) Instead of visiting Arlington cemetery, Obama and the first lady will participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., about 50 miles south of Chicago. Moreover, not every president has spent Memorial Day at Arlington. In 1983, President Reagan was at a summit meeting, and the deputy secretary of defense -- not even the veep! -- placed the wreath. Nine years later, President George H.W. Bush passed off the wreath to Vice President Dan Quayle (who had used family connections to get a slot in the National Guard during the days of the Vietnam War draft). And in 2007, Vice President Dick Cheney took on the wreath mission, while President George W. Bush was in Texas, perhaps clearing brush.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/05/26 ... -on-obama/

27 May 2010 18:15 #25 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic I hope this is not true
Its the outrage of the day!

28 May 2010 10:44 #26 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic I hope this is not true

WayneHarrison wrote: The Right Wing's Memorial Day Attack on Obama

There's a hole in the bottom of the ocean. Unemployment is still near 10 percent. There are two wars underway. And what are conservative pundits fretting about? That this year President Obama won't be laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

You'd think these folks would have better things to gripe about. And Obama is not retreating on Memorial Day. (What president would?) Instead of visiting Arlington cemetery, Obama and the first lady will participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill., about 50 miles south of Chicago. Moreover, not every president has spent Memorial Day at Arlington. In 1983, President Reagan was at a summit meeting, and the deputy secretary of defense -- not even the veep! -- placed the wreath. Nine years later, President George H.W. Bush passed off the wreath to Vice President Dan Quayle (who had used family connections to get a slot in the National Guard during the days of the Vietnam War draft). And in 2007, Vice President Dick Cheney took on the wreath mission, while President George W. Bush was in Texas, perhaps clearing brush.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/05/26 ... -on-obama/

I think that it SHOULD be a requirment for each President to perform this task, What did these "leaders" tell the people if they can't take the time to go to Arlington. IMO, I don't think that the President should do it anyhow, as military service is NOT a requirement to be President, I think it would mean a LOT more if the Highest ranking Military Officer in the Department of Defense, had this honor.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds