Faith vs Science in Schools

18 Dec 2012 15:18 #61 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Faith vs Science in Schools

LadyJazzer wrote: I respect your right to believe what you want to believe... I just don't want it even remotely trying to coexist with science in the classroom.

Those beliefs belong in a comparative-religion class because they are not science.

LJ, you once told me that you loved the book Illusions. That book falls into my belief system and I still think adding, not taking away is the answer but really if you and I got down to it, I bet we believe some of the same things since we both thought that was one of our favorite books. You have to have a really open mind to read that book and not be scared by it.

:mistletoe:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Dec 2012 15:22 #62 by LadyJazzer
And I don't want "Illusions" taught in a science class... It is not science...Any more than "Intelligent Design" (creationism masquerading as fake science) should be taught in a science class.

You want to teach it in a philosophy class? No problem... You want to teach it in comparative-religion? No problem.

What part of this are you having trouble with?? Is it the difference between what is SCIENCE and what is NOT-science?

"Scared"? I think not.. I don't want your non-science in a science class...because it is NOT science.

18 Dec 2012 15:31 #63 by CinnamonGirl

LadyJazzer wrote: And I don't want "Illusions" taught in a science class... It is not science...Any more than "Intelligent Design" (creationism masquerading as fake science) should be taught in a science class.

You want to teach it in a philosophy class? No problem... You want to teach it in comparative-religion? No problem.

What part of this are you having trouble with?? Is it the difference between what is SCIENCE and what is NOT-science?

"Scared"? I think not.. I don't want your non-science in a science class...because it is NOT science.

Okay, obviously you are going on something i never said. Point is to work together. You said "I" too many times in the sentence. Back to my original point-teach it all somehow or teach none of it. Because anything less is stomping on someone's else's opinion and rights. I realize you think your view is cut and dry but it isn't. Back to Darwin's statement. Everything you just said is according to you only.

One cannot look at this Universe with all living productions & man without believing that all has been intelligently designed

Charles Darwin, 1861

Everyone needs to do their own homework. You cannot grow with just one way of looking at things. No more discussion for me on science class because that was not my point.

Have a great night.

:)

18 Dec 2012 15:35 #64 by LadyJazzer
I'm all FOR teaching SCIENCE. If you want non-science taught, go to a non-science class. It's very simple.

18 Dec 2012 15:59 #65 by bailey bud
Is gay rights a science?

18 Dec 2012 16:05 #66 by LadyJazzer

bailey bud wrote: Is gay rights a science?

Is it taught in a science class?

18 Dec 2012 17:01 #67 by CinnamonGirl
LJ, I would like to say this..... Thank you very much for a great discussion. I feel good about that.

18 Dec 2012 17:02 #68 by ScienceChic

CinnamonGirl wrote: I did not say I was in favor of religion I said intelligent design. There is a big difference. But even then that is for all of the parents to decide together. You can believe in god and not religion. I am one of those.

Can you explain why you think intelligent design is not religion and therefore deserves to be taught alongside evolution in science class?

Intelligent Design: Is it scientific? checklist

Again, you cannot use that Darwin quote as evidence that intelligent design should be taught in science courses in addition to evolution. He was saying that he could see intelligent design as it applied to the whole universe, but not to each individual organism by itself, which is what evolution is all about. If you are basing putting intelligent design in any class on Darwin's opinion, then it is best suited to a philosophy or theology class. Or maybe physics, because we all know those people make up half that crap and can't prove it anyway! :biggrin: :jk2:

http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/entry-3154
One cannot look at this Universe with all living productions & man without believing that all has been intelligently designed; yet when I look to each individual organism, I can see no evidence of this. For, I am not prepared to admit that God designed the feathers in the tail of the rock-pigeon to vary in a highly peculiar manner in order that man might select such variations & make a Fan-tail; & if this be not admitted (I know it would be admitted by many persons), then I cannot see design in the variations of structure in animals in a state of nature,—those variations which were useful to the animal being preserved & those useless or injurious being destroyed.

Can you explain how not teaching a non-scientific discipline in a science class stomps on anyone's rights, because I still don't understand that assertion?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Dec 2012 17:51 #69 by Blazer Bob
OT i think.

Surprised that this is such a hot button issue. Are we talking grades k-12 or 13-16.

If k-12 I would just like them to graduate an acceptable % of students and that those students are not illiterate.

What grade is "science class"? How much time is devoted to evolution? That seems like a very, very tiny piece of the science pie to me.

18 Dec 2012 19:52 #70 by bailey bud
Science Chic

IMO, Intelligent design is not a fully developed science. I'm not aware of any testable hypotheses from ID that have, in fact, been tested.

To my recollection, ID advocates ARE working on articulating those testable hypotheses.

I do think ID is about the philosophy of science. It poses some interesting (and I'd argue - relevant) questions, that to a philosopher, are hard to ignore:
- how do we know what we know?
- how do we observe, and formulate testable theories?
- what are the boundaries of science?

(it all comes down to first principles)

That said - should ID be taught in school? Not sure I'd argue that it should. I think it's fair to acknowledge it, though. What I don't think should be taught is evolutionism ---- i.e. --- the idea that all "progression" in life is the product of evolutionary processes ---- AND that these processes are fundamentally dominant.

I believe that evolution exists. I don't think it's a be-all ---- end-all. As moral beings, I think it's our job to ensure that it isn't.

Incidentally - ID is ambivalent about any specific deity. It simply observes the sequence of events that leads to life is irreducibly complex. I've heard ID invoked by Muslims, by Christians, and by Baha'is (just to name a few). Although Christians have devoted a considerable amount of time and energy to the topic, they don't really have a monopoly on it.

Incidentally - I went to school with Bill Dembski. He was a great friend, and an intellectual giant in class.

To persons interested in this topic - I also happen to admire Lecomte du Noüy.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds