INSPIRING LEADERSHIP

30 Jul 2010 00:10 #11 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP

AV8OR wrote: Food for Thought:

If there exists any merit to the feasibility of Natural Gas being available for extraction in Park County, it would be wise to chose sound business individuals that are capable of being wise financial stewards. This potential boon, as The Flume would call it, could impact the county in a couple of ways.

1.) It might create a tremendous influx of revenue for the county, or
2.) Unwise leadership could take the county down a path of foolish spending on anticipation of future revenue (i.e. PILT and HUTF funding) only to have the well(s) production - short lived.

Franz, being a geologist... any thoughts?

Let's not get the cart before the horse. Feasibility is a long way from realized potential. I'm not knowledgeable on the business end of things in terms of revenue distribution. But the geologic question that pertains to production life I can address. Firstly, this is an exploration effort, so the subsurface geology is poorly understood, especially from a reservoir management perspective. The longevity and production behavior of a potential field will depend upon its size and reservoir rock quality. Size dictates ultimate longevity and financial returns. Reservoir rock quality controls not only how easily the gas can be extracted, but also how much it will cost to produce the reservoir. Poor reservoir rock means greater spending to get the hydrocarbons out of the ground because it will require well tighter spacing (think more wells) so your margin is lower. Poor reservoir rock also influences production rate. Tight reservoir rocks (meaning it's difficult for fluids to pass through them) may mean that the wells produce low volumes/day. Add fractures and wells may flow fast but decline quickly and require shut down wells for a period of time. This is because fractures act like pipelines quickly draining what's inside them, but the poor reservoir rock is slow to fill the pipeline again). This is all too much technical stuff. What I wanted to emphasize here is 1. the high risk of predicting returns given immense unknown geologic variables, thus the need for restraint in counting your money while sitting at the table. Then an even greater risk for success in finding hydrocarbons (HC). So look at it as a potential windfall that you should definitely not put into the budget until proven and then remain cautious not to overestimate the payout. Explorationists wear rose colored glasses that seem to filter out reality. Obviously, a geologic review must be had before any financial deals are struck. Rules regarding royalties etc are another matter all together that require legal experts. One person that I would get involved in something like this is Rak over on Pinecam. He is much more knowledgeable about the business end of things than I. He also lives in Florissant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jul 2010 07:25 #12 by AV8OR
Replied by AV8OR on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP
Thanks for the "readers digest" insight.

I hope our commissioners consider the above points before the "perceived" $$$ are spent.

30 Jul 2010 14:50 #13 by Tilt
Replied by Tilt on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP
Hope??? Have they shown discretion in the past. They
are still drunk on our taxpayer money-spending spree.
Name one accomplishment for the people, please.

30 Jul 2010 16:03 #14 by AV8OR
Tilt, go back and re-read.

30 Jul 2010 16:40 #15 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP
AV8OR:

You definitely know how to inspire with real logic. Let's all keep this on the topic.

There really are people in this county that can come out and bring this county back to where it truly works for the citizens. We have become riled up over all levels of government, and a grassroots movement of people who have never been involved, or even interested in anything but their own daily lives, is awakening.

30 Jul 2010 16:45 #16 by AV8OR
I hope this will inspire folks to think at the polls. Thinking and cultivating prior to elections is even greater.

30 Jul 2010 20:02 - 23 Jun 2013 17:00 #17 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP

Regards,
Major Bean

30 Jul 2010 23:17 #18 by Local_Historian
Wasn't it Franklin who said something to the effect of never choose the man who wants to lead, instead whoose the man who wants it the least as your leader - he wold do a better job?

Poor paraphrase, but same sentiment.

30 Jul 2010 23:28 #19 by 40coupe
Replied by 40coupe on topic INSPIRING LEADERSHIP
Well, Lincoln had his start as a schoolteacher and county 'lawyer'. Red Cloud and Sitting Bull were mere youths when they counted their first coups. Hitler tried postcard illustration for a short while. Freeze-frame any one of the above, pick a moment in time, in their early years, and wonder what the hometown folks and their contemporaries thought of them and their chances for any kind of success, let alone leadership. :bookread: Excellent post, LH! The one-time 'Printer's Devil' turned out to be quite a leader, indeed.

31 Jul 2010 09:00 #20 by AV8OR
Good leaders "tend" to be natural born.

Within most groups, at least one person will emerge as a leader.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds