For those who want more civil discussion...

11 Jan 2013 10:55 #1 by Soulshiner
So how am I supposed to respond to this from <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/285forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25375&start=130 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25375&start=130<!-- l -->:

akilina wrote: Yea and that is why s***shiner does it. And I didn't say sh*tshiner. I just don't see the soul so as a courtesy he is s***shiner. Sorry you don't see it that way.

FredHayek wrote:

Heisenberg wrote: Shoeshiner?

Goodfellas: "Get your shinebox."
I like it! :thumbsup:

How am i supposed to take these as anything but personal insults that add nothing to the discussion? Where are the objections from those who have been calling for a less vile 285, who want to discuss the issues and object to these types of posts? I would really like to see some of you act on what you are so desperate for and call posts like these out. Otherwise, you are showing that your words are empty and are really only interested in silencing the posters you don't like.

If YOU want a more civil 285, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2013 11:08 #2 by FOS
why a new thread? why not just get your answer in the other thread and not start a new one if you arent lookin to stir another pot?

11 Jan 2013 11:17 #3 by LadyJazzer
Why not ignore this thread?

11 Jan 2013 11:22 #4 by FOS
why not

11 Jan 2013 11:23 #5 by Soulshiner
Not stirring the pot, just looking to see if the people who are wanting a change for the better mean what they say.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

11 Jan 2013 11:34 #6 by archer
Of course they mean what they say......they want the liberals to be nicer, and see little wrong with how they themselves post.

11 Jan 2013 11:39 #7 by FOS
didn't i see a video somewhere here of a dog chasing its tail

11 Jan 2013 11:40 #8 by ScienceChic
Back when I first started posting on community forums, I was perplexed about what seemed a silly rule that actually had to be written out in the TOS to not change other members' nics. I hadn't seen the history of what people had done until I took over here. And all I can say is, wow how immature. Frankly, it's the same thing with changing our elected leader's name. The President of the United States, whether you agree with him or not, should be accorded some modicum of respect.

I think it's sad that that kind of rule actually has to be stated. If you don't like someone's nic, or you don't like them, just don't type their nic! How hard is that? If you don't like them, then take it to the Ring and vent or have it out with them if they oblige responding to you. While not spelled out in our TOS, we do not allow members to mimic or use other members nic if they change it for a time, as that is impersonation and confusing to guests and other members if someone new is using an old nic, not to mention the potential for abuse is high because every time I've seen it done, it's because the person taking on the new nic has an agenda against the person who previously used that nic. Let's be mature here, and just not go there.

After thinking about it, I agree that even putting stars in a nic is changing it and it shouldn't be done. Whether you don't intend it to be a "starred out curse word" or not, other people are taking it that way and it's disrespectful. If you don't like their nic, don't type it, there's plenty of ways to indicate that you are speaking to them otherwise.

Just my $0.02. I really don't want to start making additional, stricter, spelled out rules, because then we head to Pinecam-land and just encourage people to rebel and break the rules for the sheer enjoyment of being asses. But, if we could all agree not to do this, I'd be happy.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Jan 2013 11:46 #9 by Raees
They get it from people like Rush Limbaugh who regularly change names of things (and people) to denigrate them. I use Limbaugh as an example because he seems to do it the most. I don't see Fox doing it. But many of the posters on here have picked up the practice and do it, as Soulshiner points out.

Before that, the Obama haters tried always using his middle name when referencing him, but found out it didn't bother liberals, so they mostly stopped.

11 Jan 2013 12:03 #10 by FOS
is starting a thread for the purpose of baiting fellow members also somewhat disrespectful

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds