Bible curiousity

21 Jan 2013 17:23 #11 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic Bible curiousity
The two Bibles had special significance, but you already knew that.

In no aspect of his second inauguration is President Obama more explicitly historic, even iconic, than in his choice of Bibles: the Lincoln Bible and – to rest underneath it, as the president takes his oath of office – the "traveling" Bible of Martin Luther King Jr.

Mr. Obama has left nothing to guesswork on this point. The choice of the Lincoln and King Bibles is “fitting,” he said in a video statement on Friday, “because their actions, the movements they represented, are the only reason that it’s possible for me to be inaugurated.”

“Me stating before the entire country that I will uphold my oath of office while at the same time letting them know that there’s a connection between me being there and the sacrifices of those of the past, I think it’s entirely fitting,” he added.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder ... eals-video

(I Googled)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2013 17:25 #12 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Bible curiousity
I'm no historian and Wikipedia is always to be taken with a grain a salt, but here's info on bible use in presidential swearing in ceremonies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_of ... ted_States

Use of Bibles
Theodore Roosevelt did not use a Bible when taking the oath in 1901. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Harry S. Truman, and Richard Nixon (also a Quaker) swore the oath on two Bibles. John Quincy Adams swore on a book of law, with the intention that he was swearing on the constitution.[8] Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in on a Roman Catholic missal on Air Force One. Washington kissed the Bible afterwards,[9] and subsequent presidents followed suit, up to and including Harry Truman,[10] but Dwight D. Eisenhower broke that tradition by saying his own prayer instead of kissing the Bible.[11]

"So help me God"
It is uncertain how many Presidents used a Bible or added the words "So help me God" at the end of the oath, or in their acceptance of the oath, as neither is required by law; unlike many other federal oaths which do include the phrase "So help me God."[31]

The historical debate over who first used "So help me God," is marred by ignoring the two forms of giving the oath.

There's also a passage in the link about using 2 bibles and saying "affirm" instead of "swear". Interesting stuff, wish I knew more.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Jan 2013 20:48 #13 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Bible curiousity
But in an increasingly secular society, why bother? What makes the Bible so special. Why not the constitution or even mad magazine.

21 Jan 2013 21:41 #14 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Bible curiousity

frogger wrote: But in an increasingly secular society, why bother? What makes the Bible so special. Why not the constitution or even mad magazine.

Because The Bible has become the politically correct choice. The first President that deviates from the norm will be viciously attacked. It's a shame, because laying your hand on something to swear should carry a deep, personal meaning. When I lay my hand on my Bible, I feel I am placing my hand into the hand of my God.

21 Jan 2013 21:57 #15 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Bible curiousity
If, as some proclaim, government is not allowed to make any reference to God, how can we allow the use of the Bible when taking the oath of office, or in inauguration speeches?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

21 Jan 2013 21:59 #16 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Bible curiousity

chickaree wrote:

frogger wrote: But in an increasingly secular society, why bother? What makes the Bible so special. Why not the constitution or even mad magazine.

Because The Bible has become the politically correct choice. The first President that deviates from the norm will be viciously attacked. It's a shame, because laying your hand on something to swear should carry a deep, personal meaning. When I lay my hand on my Bible, I feel I am placing my hand into the hand of my God.

Unfortunately we tend to judge another's sincerity by what our own standards would be.......for the religious community, if you don't swear on a Bible, then you aren't making a sincere oath or pledge. Perhaps they don't think about what the beliefs of the person taking the oath are.....and what could we replace it with for those who are not Christian? or religious at all. It has become the symbol, yet for many it probably has little meaning. Maybe "I swear on my child's or my mother's life"

21 Jan 2013 22:02 #17 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Bible curiousity
I think for too many, oaths are meaningless. Every politician that swears to uphold the Constitution, but instead elevates his or her donors interests instead are oath breakers. I remember watching the cigarette executives swear in front of Congress that their product wasn't dangerous. If nothing is done to hold a person to their oath, what is the point?

22 Jan 2013 07:03 #18 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Bible curiousity

:idea: When you get to be President or Park County Dog Catcher, you can use whatever you want.

I am not very religious but I would have used our family bible if I had the opportunity.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Jan 2013 19:15 #19 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Bible curiousity
I have not been following this thread but I ran across something elsewhere that seems to fit right in.

http://qz.com/#

"Chinese bloggers, seeing Obama’s Bible, ask if religion is the secret to democracy

By Lily Kuo — January 22, 2013 "
...................."
Obama’s inauguration was a top trending topic on Sina Weibo, China’s massive microblogging site, with over 25 million posts on Jan. 21. Of these, one comment by a Weibo user by the name Wugou1975 was forwarded over 2,000 times, garnering over 500 comments. The blogger posted a photo of Obama taking the presidential oath with Supreme Court Justice John Roberts:
Some Chinese find it unbelievable that this secular country’s democratically elected president was sworn in with his hand on a Bible, not the Constitution,"........

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds