The most ridiculous law of 2013

27 Jan 2013 17:23 #1 by chickaree
The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your Smartphone
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ne/272552/

This is outrageous. If I own a product, I should be able to alter it in any way I wish.[url][/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2013 17:34 #2 by jf1acai
Disclaimer: The following is a semi-serious response only :biggrin:

The question is, do you really own it?

I think many electronic devices, such as cell phones, I-Pads, computers, etc. are like cats.

You don't own them, they own you! :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

27 Jan 2013 17:45 - 27 Jan 2013 17:51 #3 by FredHayek
It would be good to see this one overturned. But for other products you buy but don't own look at patented seeds. You can buy the corn seed but you can't legally use the corn you grow for seed.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Jan 2013 17:49 #4 by chickaree

FredHayek wrote: It would be good to see this one overturned.

It would, but it isn't a priority in Congress with either party. All the money is against us.

27 Jan 2013 17:53 #5 by FredHayek
All it takes are a couple of judges who like jailbreaks.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Jan 2013 20:27 #6 by netdude
This is the type of thing that caused me not to go to the iPhone 5 and instead bought a Nexus 4.... I'm unlocked an working without a contract... And feel pretty dang free!!!

27 Jan 2013 21:18 #7 by chickaree
Lucky you. My son has been on a waitlist forever.

28 Jan 2013 12:14 #8 by bailey bud
I'd agree that it's silly to have that law ---

I suppose the phone company would argue that you don't own your phone - you have a limited license to use it.
(in which case, business/contract law should cover intellectual property concerns).

Your best option --- give a contribution to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

28 Jan 2013 15:36 #9 by 2wlady
Sounds like pre-divestiture to me.

28 Jan 2013 17:37 - 28 Jan 2013 18:01 #10 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic The most ridiculous law of 2013
To me, the bigger story is the Library of Congress bureaucrats deciding these detail laws. Not a big cell phone user, and I prefer to buy my equipment up front whether it is internet modems, dish receivers, etc etc. I recently had Skybeam try to start charging me rental for equipment I bought 7 years ago from Wispertel. Ugghhh. SOBs.. Save your receipts people!

From OP article theAtlantic
"Conservatives should be leading the discussion on fixing this problem. Conservatives are understandably skeptical of agencies and unelected bureaucrats wielding a large amount of power to regulate, and are proponents of solutions like the REINS Act (which has over 121 co-sponsors). However, if Congress truly wants to rein in the power of unelected bureaucrats, then they must first write laws in a narrow manner and avoid the need for intervention by the Librarian of Congress to avoid draconian consequences, such as making iPhone jail-breakers and smartphone un-lockers criminals, or taking away readable books for the blind.

If conservatives are concerned of unelected bureaucrats deciding upon regulations which could have financial consequences for businesses, then they should be more worried about unelected bureaucrats deciding upon what is or isn't a felony punishable by large fines and jail time for our citizens. And really, why should unelected bureaucrats decide what technological choices you can make with your smartphone? These laws serve to protect the interests of a few companies and create and maintain barriers to entry."

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds