President's Day: Favorite President?

20 Feb 2013 14:59 #11 by Arlen
#1 Lincoln
#2 Reagan
#3 Teddy Roosevelt
#4 Eisenhower

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2013 16:07 #12 by ScienceChic
Why is Lincoln #1 for you Arlen? Not asking to be snarky, I'm just genuinely interested! Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Feb 2013 16:11 #13 by Arlen
He was the great anchor of the Republican party. He was against slavery and was an intellectual giant (IMO). He changed the character of our republic as very few men have.

Let me ask you: Why do the Democrats try to annex him as their great leader?

20 Feb 2013 16:29 #14 by ScienceChic
I agree with all those points, good observations. Ironically, I'd forgotten how intelligent he was, it just sort of became a given in my mind. I find it humorous that I didn't list that as one of the reasons that I admired him so much. lol

I'm curious though, why do you perceive it as Democrats trying to annex him as their great leader? I have never heard any of my liberal friends say that "they love him, but it's too bad that was a Republican", or that he wasn't a Republican he was actually a Democrat, or that he'd be a Democrat if he were alive today - they love him because he did great things, was a great leader. It matters not at all that he was a Republican. The party philosophies have changed, most of us understand that Democrats and Republicans of today are much different than those of 150 years past. They even held some beliefs that neither do today, like women are incompetent to vote.

Wouldn't it be nice if we'd stop focusing on the differences between our parties, and celebrate good leaders, not good Republicans or good Democrats?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Feb 2013 16:36 #15 by Arlen
The Republican party has not changed. What has happened is the demonization of the Republican party by the Democrats. They have painted a caricature of fantasy which they attack. The odd thing about this fantastical caricature is that it is a portrait of the historical Democratic party.

Good Democrats? I have an open mind and am willing to be persuaded that such politicians exist or have existed. I am open to suggestion.

20 Feb 2013 16:41 #16 by Rick

Science Chic wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if we'd stop focusing on the differences between our parties, and celebrate good leaders, not good Republicans or good Democrats?

It would be nice... so would world peace and cold fusion.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Feb 2013 16:51 #17 by ScienceChic
The Republican Party has changed Arlen, because people have changed, our societal values have changed. Or do you think that women and people of color shouldn't be allowed to vote? Do Democrats believe that women and people of color shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Rick wrote:

Science Chic wrote:

And the ability to teleport! :biggrin:

20 Feb 2013 16:55 #18 by chickaree
Our Presidents are just that; OUR Presidents. That's what is wrong with America today. Everything is about mine and yours instead of ours. That is what Lincoln personified, an America for all Americans. That is why all Americans revere him.

20 Feb 2013 17:12 - 20 Feb 2013 17:20 #19 by Arlen

Science Chic wrote: The Republican Party has changed Arlen, because people have changed, our societal values have changed. Or do you think that women and people of color shouldn't be allowed to vote? Do Democrats believe that women and people of color shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Rick wrote:

Science Chic wrote:

And the ability to teleport! :biggrin:

I am persuaded that the Republican party has NOT changed. You may have bought into the grotesque caricature that has been painted by the Democratic party.

Consider:
1. It was Orval Faubus and the Democrat Party that wanted the Arkansas National Guard to enforce segregation, and Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican President, that sent the 101st Airborne to integrate the schools.
2. It was Bull Connor, a member of the Democrat National Committee, who turned the hoses on the marchers in Birmingham, and it was the Republicans who made up the majority that passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, over the filibuster of such Democrat paragons as William Fulbright and Al Gore Sr. - and Grand Kleagle Byrd.
3. It was the Democrats who kept Grand Kleagle Byrd in the party.

Here is a partial list of modern Democratic racists and bigots:
Orval Fabus (died 1994)
Benjamin Travis Laney (died 1977)
John Stennis (died 1995))
James Eastland (died 1986)
Allen Ellender (died 1972)
Russell Long (died 2003)
John Sparkman (died 1985)
John McClellan (died 1977)
Richard Russell (died 1971)
Herman Talmadge (died 2002)
George Wallace (died 1998)
Lester Maddox (died 2003)
John Rarick (died 2009)
Robert Byrd (died 2010)
Al Gore, Sr. (died 1998)
Bull Connor (died 1973)

The list goes on and on until we are tired of considering it.

Please list the Republican bigots and racist to back up your claim that the parties have flip-flopped. I do believe that the modern story is the polar opposite of the truth. Please open your mind and clear it of the Democratic propaganda that you have been taught all of your life.

20 Feb 2013 17:16 #20 by chickaree
There are bigots and racists in all political parties. It is silly in the extreme to claim otherwise.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds