Enemy Combatant

22 Apr 2013 08:06 #11 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Enemy Combatant

appleannie wrote: I think the term is overused. Is anyone going to deny that home-grown terrorists like McVeigh are enemies of the State with connections to others who feel the same way? The connections don't have to be foreign to make you an enemy.

How many attacks or attempted attacks have been made by McViegh types vs radical Islamic types in the last 20 years in the US and across the world? Oh ya, Obama has decimated Al Qaeda, nevermind.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2013 08:28 #12 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Enemy Combatant
He is a citizen as much as the Aurora shooter is. Each of us are endowed with the same Constitutional rights. As soon as you give the government the power to strip any of us of those rights, we have all lost them.

22 Apr 2013 09:04 #13 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Enemy Combatant
I am a bit confused.

So they are going to question him, without a defense lawyer present. They cannot use anything he says against him in a court of law. They can't force him to say anything.

Which of his Constitutional rights does this violate?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

22 Apr 2013 09:37 #14 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Enemy Combatant
The Fox talking heads were saying since the two brothers admitted the bombings to the man they carjacked they don't really need a confession and Miranda is only really related to confessions.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Apr 2013 11:13 #15 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Enemy Combatant
Fox is wrong.....again. The person that said (if he/she did) they talked about the bombings and the poilce may be liars. Makes no sense given they well knew and did stay quite. This seems to be BS.

22 Apr 2013 11:34 #16 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Enemy Combatant
Just in

The White House says the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing will not be tried as an enemy combatant in a military tribunal.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be prosecuted in the federal court system.

He says President Barack Obama's entire national security team supports the decision.

Tsarnaev is a naturalized U.S. citizen. Carney says that under U.S. law U.S. citizens cannot be tried in military commissions. Carney says that since Sept. 11, 2001, the federal court system has been used to convict and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists.

ABC News

So I am guessing that by now they have read him his Miranda Rights.

22 Apr 2013 11:47 #17 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Enemy Combatant
IF he is heavily sedated,as reported,Miranda probably not been done......JMO I am elated at above information, however.

22 Apr 2013 12:04 #18 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Enemy Combatant
I believe this first article is timely, as we've seen what happens when we start lumping groups in as "enemy combatants". This boy is a US citizen, and at the moment, innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Comments relating to his punishment are premature, and not that I've seen it here, but comments that ascribe why someone would do this to a group as a whole (ie Muslims) are just as appalling.

If you haven't been to the Colorado History Museum, I highly recommend it. They've got a section dedicated to the internment camp that was opened here in CO, with some newspaper articles of CO citizens protesting its opening - not because they were against what was happening, but because they didn't want the "enemy" moved here near them from outside the state (the comments are appalling). Then CO Governor Ralph Carr sacrificed his political career by publicly denouncing the actions of the federal government and abuse of its innocent citizens. I recommend going - it's worth the reminder of how quickly we allow ourselves to cross the line of decency, morality, and integrity and sacrifice freedoms in the name of "security".

Why We Must Remember Rohwer
by George Takei
Posted: 04/22/2013

Don't scapegoat a faith for bombings
By Farhana Khera, Special to CNN
updated 2:18 PM EDT, Sun April 21, 2013

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Apr 2013 12:08 #19 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Enemy Combatant
Am I right in thinking that anything he has said up to this point will be I admissible? What a mess! Sadly not surprising. If we can kill young citizens overseas with drones without due process, why not just do it here as well?

22 Apr 2013 12:20 #20 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Enemy Combatant
SC....excellent post. SCOTUS and the forth estate is the line of protection for USA citizens......well earned over 300 years. The current weak pols are indeed domestic enemies to be tossed starting in 2014......both in WDC and Denver......payback will be massive IMHO. TRUST is gone.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds