Oklahoma Senators Repeatedly Opposed Disaster Relief Funds

21 May 2013 09:06 #21 by FredHayek
But they weren't hypocritical Senators. They just thought any new aid for disaster victims should come out of the current budget. LJ whines about an unpaid war, but just throwing money we don't have at disasters isn't fiscally prudent.
When I have a problem come up at work, my budget doesn't automatically increase, I have to allocate resources from other, less critical areas.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2013 09:06 #22 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Can we blame climate change for the tornado that took out Moore, Okla.?
Sometimes natural disasters are just that: natural.
By Susie Cagle
20 May 2013

But the science on tornadoes and climate change isn’t clear enough to OMFG about it just yet. As Grist’s John Upton reported recently, the number of twisters has been roller-coastering up and down from year to year. “It certainly feels like one of those boom-bust weather cycles that we expect from climate change. But there doesn’t appear to be any evidence directly linking the recent tornado cycle to global warming.”

“Most climate scientists believe that clearer answers will be forthcoming with better climate modeling tools — and patience,” according to the Huffington Post.

Let's quote someone who is trained to answer this question...

Dr. Marshall Shepherd, the president of the American Meteorological Society and someone who is not shy about taking on climate skeptics, put it this way in a tweet: "Climate change is real issue but can we not dilute the issue with that right now. No links to tornadoes."

http://science.time.com/2013/05/21/tornado/

Case solved.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

21 May 2013 09:10 - 21 May 2013 09:13 #23 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Melodramatic much? :biggrin: This isn't about dead children

At this point IT'S ALL ABOUT DEAD CHILDREN and nothing else. Convenient on your part to forget that was the EXACT same expressions by the left after the Newtown shooting... the gun issue was ALL ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

Your hypocrisy is showing.

21 May 2013 09:12 #24 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: I've said it before, I'll say it again, and this is a general comment to everyone, not TLGT specifically: Deal with the subject matter at hand, don't make judgements about the person posting them because very few of us know each other that well, and it's way too easy to take comments out of context when reading them online without body language and tone to help convey true meaning.

Bullcrap... I can make public judgements all I want. And if a person doesn't want public scrutiny about their character... they won't post. And if they have anything to say about personal attacks... they'll respond. "Can't we all just get along"... hell NO!!!

21 May 2013 09:20 #25 by archer

Rick wrote: This thread reminds me of Barney Frank attempting to make political points as the body parts in Boston were still being picked up. IMO, the only focus in the next few days should be on the people who've lost their family members and everything they own. Politics can wait.

Yet you chose to post in this thread, and not in the other thread on the tornado that does talk of the tragedy and the victims.

21 May 2013 09:22 #26 by Rick

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Science Chic wrote: I've said it before, I'll say it again, and this is a general comment to everyone, not TLGT specifically: Deal with the subject matter at hand, don't make judgements about the person posting them because very few of us know each other that well, and it's way too easy to take comments out of context when reading them online without body language and tone to help convey true meaning.

Bullcrap... I can make public judgements all I want. And if a person doesn't want public scrutiny about their character... they won't post. And if they have anything to say about personal attacks... they'll respond. "Can't we all just get along"... hell NO!!!

I agree... the fact that anyone woud put politics before the tragedy (as people are stiill buried under rubble) is sick at best. But I guess some people haven't had enough on their side to bitch about lately, so here's a good opportunity to attempt point scoring during the middle of a tragedy. That's sad.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 May 2013 09:26 #27 by Rick

archer wrote:

Rick wrote: This thread reminds me of Barney Frank attempting to make political points as the body parts in Boston were still being picked up. IMO, the only focus in the next few days should be on the people who've lost their family members and everything they own. Politics can wait.

Yet you chose to post in this thread, and not in the other thread on the tornado that does talk of the tragedy and the victims.

Damn right. I will always call her out on this kind of crap... I can't imagine anyone else but her doing this, including you.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

21 May 2013 09:35 - 21 May 2013 09:35 #28 by archer
I think I'm done with this topic......perhaps now that everyone is nearly done with the piling on, you will spend a few minutes thinking of the victims and not your own vendettas

21 May 2013 09:45 #29 by Rick

archer wrote: I think I'm done with this topic......perhaps now that everyone is nearly done with the piling on, you will spend a few minutes thinking of the victims and not your own vendettas

Perhaps during the next tragedy when LJ decides to score political points, you'll refrain from defending her... but I doubt it.

George Orwell

21 May 2013 09:45 #30 by ScienceChic

FredHayek wrote: But they weren't hypocritical Senators. They just thought any new aid for disaster victims should come out of the current budget. LJ whines about an unpaid war, but just throwing money we don't have at disasters isn't fiscally prudent.
When I have a problem come up at work, my budget doesn't automatically increase, I have to allocate resources from other, less critical areas.

Cool, thanks for that point. I agree somewhat that money needs to be allocated responsibly, but you can't plan for how many disasters/year and how bad they will be - they are an unknown when planning a budget. So while something can be put aside for a rainy day, it may not always cover the cost and we need to take care of those who need help. Yes, that should mean prudent spending cuts and allocations from elsewhere, and saving up during good years to use during extra-bad ones, but we've seen how that will never happen b/c each special interest will cry foul and plead their case of why everyone else should be cut except them and nothing ever changes.

One of my biggest issues with every administration and Congress up to this point is that they, each and every last one of 'em don't care which political affiliation, are sticking their heads in the sand and not adequately planning for the future and the increasingly expensive and frequent disasters we'll incur. They ignore scientists who've told them again and again that we are creating drought and mega-Dust Bowl-conditions, fresh water supplies will become more scarce, sea level rise means that any storms will be pushed further inland and cause more damage, and increasing temps means stronger hurricanes...yet, we do nothing to prepare or mitigate for that. We aren't trying to reduce our carbon emissions on anything close to an effective amount, we aren't reducing our energy use, or changing our land use to absorb carbon. We send billions of dollars in disaster relief that mandates that rebuilding must occur in the exact same spot that has already proved to be a beyond-stupid area to rebuild in so we will continue to throw away taxpayer dollars until we are bankrupt. We need to start proactively planning, not retroactively reacting, or our economy is in for a shit storm far worse than we've experienced.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds