The chart that shows how grossly unfair US Tax System become

23 May 2013 10:17 #1 by LadyJazzer

The 1 Chart That Reveals Just How Grossly Unfair The U.S. Tax System Has Become

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1152351/thumbs/o-FEDERAL-REVENUE-570.jpg?3

Notice the beige stripe that is shrinking steadily? That stripe is the percentage corporate taxes contribute to total federal revenue. And notice the olive-green stripe that has swollen to be larger than the beige stripe used to be? That is the contribution of payroll taxes to federal revenue.

What this shows is how dramatically corporate tax contributions have shrunk in the past several decades, and how our personal taxes have risen to fill the gap. Payroll taxes now make up 35 percent of all federal government tax receipts, up from 11 percent in 1950. Corporate income taxes, meanwhile, now make up less than 10 percent of federal revenue, down from about 26 percent in 1950.

To 'splain those numbers a little more clearly: We who are on the payrolls of companies now bear way more of a tax burden than those companies bore decades ago. Those companies, meanwhile, bear less of a burden than we ever did.

And this doesn't include individual income tax, which accounts for about 46 percent of total federal tax receipts, roughly the same as 60 years ago.

http://www.businessinsider.com/two-char ... ore-2013-5

Forgive me while I go in search of some tissue to wipe my eyes over just how unjust "corporate taxes" have become... (Maybe that's why they are so interested in Apple these days...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2013 10:20 #2 by LadyJazzer
And to further make my eyes water, a look at how those poor folks on Park Avenue in NYC struggle to get by...by controlling the Congress and flipping the rules in their favor... Yes, I'm sure there are plenty here who still buy into that teabagger talking-point that if you "just work hard, you can make it up to the level of the 1%-of-the-1%... :rofllol

Park Avenue: Money, Power & the American Dream

...And yes it's a PBS special, which of course somehow magically negates all of the FACTS that are in it... :lol:

23 May 2013 10:36 #3 by FredHayek
So why didn't Obama take care of this when Pelosi was the Speaker of the house?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 May 2013 11:03 #4 by LadyJazzer
You mean the 17 days when they actually controlled both houses?... I dunno...Maybe they couldn't work it in.

23 May 2013 11:15 #5 by FredHayek
Excuses. Ronald Reagan got his agenda passed with a Dem House.
Even "W" worked with Pelosi on getting stuff done after 2006.

23 May 2013 11:21 #6 by pineinthegrass
Humm... you know why payroll taxes have gone up so much since 1960? It's called Medicare.

The article in the OP isn't too clear to me. They seem to be complaining about corporate revenue going down but defending Apple who is really good at keeping their corporate taxes down. But maybe I missed something...

23 May 2013 12:05 #7 by Reverend Revelant

pineinthegrass wrote: Humm... you know why payroll taxes have gone up so much since 1960? It's called Medicare.

The article in the OP isn't too clear to me. They seem to be complaining about corporate revenue going down but defending Apple who is really good at keeping their corporate taxes down. But maybe I missed something...

Here's your Big Apple...

Apple Dodges Enough Taxes to Cover Much of the Sequester $9.2 Billion in Taxes Avoided

The scheme that Apple cooked up this week to finance a $55 billion stock buyback for its shareholders was orchestrated to avoid paying $9.2 billion in taxes, Bloomberg reported Friday.

That $9.2 billion tax bill that Apple dodged would have been enough to make unnecessary all of the major budget cuts we’ve been writing about this week as part of our “Repeal the Sequester” campaign. With $9.2 billion, the federal government could have (based on lists compiled by The Washington Post’s Wonkblog and Think Progress):

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022805035

Yep... it's all legal (I watched Apple's CEO testifying two days ago)... and other corporations do it... but if LJ is going to complain... she needs to include the lefts favorite 1 percenter.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

23 May 2013 12:42 #8 by Soulshiner

FredHayek wrote: Excuses. Ronald Reagan got his agenda passed with a Dem House.

You could also say that the Dem House worked with RR so he could get some work done. Cooperation is a two way street.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

23 May 2013 12:45 #9 by FredHayek
Hmm, Rush Limbaugh was saying the other day that Apple pays a very high percent of the corporate taxes actually paid to the US treasury. They just avoid as much as they pay?
Does Apple pay more than those evil oil companies? One advantage of domestic fracking, harder to hide profit offshore.

Maybe the IRS needs to spend more time auditing corporations rather than people who adopt children? Something like 60% of people who claimed an adoption tax deduction were auditied.

23 May 2013 13:45 #10 by archer

FredHayek wrote: Excuses. Ronald Reagan got his agenda passed with a Dem House.

Which just goes to show that Democrats are more willing to work with a Republican president and compromise than Republicans in congress are to work with a Democrat as president? For Republicans now in congress all I have seen from them is do it our way or we will make sure you don't do it at all. I sure hope a lot more Republican congress critters get defeated in 2014.....this country can't afford them anymore.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds