Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever?

19 Aug 2013 16:23 #11 by PrintSmith
Can the Republicans garner 270+ Electoral College Votes ever again? Absolutely, but not by running candidates who are little more than Democrat Lite as they did in the previous 4 elections.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Aug 2013 12:40 #12 by Wayne Harrison
I'm not sure how going more extreme right and thereby appealing to an even smaller electorate will help Republics win 270 electoral votes, PS.

5 Reasons Republicans Are Beginning To Worry They Could Lose The House In 2014

“Several influential Republicans told us the party is actually in a worse place than it was Nov. 7, the day after the disastrous election,” Politico‘s Mike Allen and Jim Vandehei reported last week. They couldn’t find a Republican in Washington D.C. who didn’t see “a disaster in the making.”

Here are five reasons that even Republicans look at their representatives in the House and see disaster.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/5-reasons-r ... e-in-2014/

Edited to add: Here are 7 Maine Republican officials who agree with you, PS. They think the Republican Party is too liberal:

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/08/20/ ... oward.html

20 Aug 2013 13:16 #13 by FredHayek
Yes. Right now I am hearing Hilary already has 2016 locked up. When Did I last hear this, in 2007, when Hilary and Guiliani were supposed to win their nominations in 2008. How did that work out? Hilary came in second and the NY mayor didn't even place.

Does Hilary have the charisma against a moderate like Christie? Right now Hilary wins the polls, but will America still like Mrs. Clinton after months of exposure on the campaign trail?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Aug 2013 13:45 #14 by Pony Soldier
Please don't use Hillary and exposure in the same sentence.

20 Aug 2013 13:56 #15 by Wayne Harrison
Hillary hasn't even announced she's running, so she can't have 2016 locked up. And I would be careful -- as you point out, Fred -- in claiming a very early front runner has the nomination locked up. As Hillary, and Rick Perry and Herman Cain ad nauseum found, political fortunes can change on a dime.

20 Aug 2013 16:54 #16 by PrintSmith

Conservative Voice wrote: I'm not sure how going more extreme right and thereby appealing to an even smaller electorate will help Republics win 270 electoral votes, PS.

It's all in how the message is delivered CV. Take Social Security for instance. When a Republican stands up and tells the electorate that it is the desire of the Republican Party to give each and every citizen a private property right to their Social Security, something that all of us currently lack, who would not want to have that and why wouldn't they support altering Social Security to provide it? Why shouldn't the "progressives" have to explain to the electorate why not having a personal property right to the income tax that is withheld from each paycheck, also known as withholding taxes, is preferable to having a private property right to those funds that the Congress can't reduce or eliminate at their sole discretion at any time of its choosing?

20 Aug 2013 17:05 #17 by homeagain
Speaking as an INDY.....if the two front running candidates were Hillary and Christie, I would
have a HARD decision to make.....alot can happen for the two candidates and I STILL do not
think Hillary will run,altho it is what she has been striving towards for decades.....I think the
Benegazhi debacle has given her a reality check and her health is MORE important to her than
the POTUS......but then again, Hillary is a Scorpio and you should NEVER underestimate that
DEEP and DECEPTIVELY strong personality....JMO

20 Aug 2013 17:12 #18 by Rick

homeagain wrote: Speaking as an INDY.....if the two front running candidates were Hillary and Christie, I would
have a HARD decision to make.....alot can happen for the two candidates and I STILL do not
think Hillary will run,altho it is what she has been striving towards for decades.....I think the
Benegazhi debacle has given her a reality check and her health is MORE important to her than
the POTUS......but then again, Hillary is a Scorpio and you should NEVER underestimate that
DEEP and DECEPTIVELY strong personality....JMO

Kerry has swept Benghazi under the rug and nobody held accountable... Hillary is already starting her campaign just not announcing it. Hillary wants/needs power and nothing will stop her from running... she will also easily set the record for the most money spent on any election on this planet. Take that to the bank.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Aug 2013 17:17 #19 by chickaree
I think Chrisite could make a strong showing. He has shown that he is not a partisan hack and does what is best for his state rather than what is best for his party. He has common sense and is pragmatic. An old school conservative. I would be pleased to see him run.

20 Aug 2013 17:29 #20 by LadyJazzer
You presume that a "moderate" like Christie could win the teabagger primary... They are on a course of extremist self-destruction. A "moderate" like Christie won't win it. Whichever one of the remaining extremists gets it won't win against Hillary.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds