Mike Rowe Tells It Like It Should Be to Liberals & Conservat

31 Oct 2013 07:43 #21 by Rick

netdude wrote:

Jekyll wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

Big Dougy wrote: Wow, first that stupid church, now your following this guy like he's a cult leader?

Somethins wrong SC

Serriously

Unlike you VL, some of us actually believe in promoting something that may not have anything financially rewarding to us, but rather something good for future generations. Mike Rowe is doing a vast majority of this at no financial benefit to himself. He is donating his time and energy towards something he (and SC and I agree) feels passionate about. Teaching kids that hard work isn't a bad thing.

Double :like: This is why I'll be a welder sooner rather than later, and I'll teach my nieces and nephews this trade later on in life. Oh yea, btw, double :like:

That is a great trade skill. We talked through alternatives to college with my son and we talked about all of the skilled trades out there, electrician, mechanic, plumber and welder were up there as far as his interests... he is 22 and still might go one of those directions. He is taking classes but has no real idea of what he wants to do.

I have done some basic welding and it I found it definitely takes skill to master...

I have a buddy who works as a mechanic for two weeks a month in Alaska then gets flown back to Grand Junction for two weeks where he lives. He makes around $100k a year and he said the welders do too.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2013 13:11 #22 by Jekyll

Rick wrote:

netdude wrote:

Jekyll wrote:

RenegadeCJ wrote:

Big Dougy wrote: Wow, first that stupid church, now your following this guy like he's a cult leader?

Somethins wrong SC

Serriously

Unlike you VL, some of us actually believe in promoting something that may not have anything financially rewarding to us, but rather something good for future generations. Mike Rowe is doing a vast majority of this at no financial benefit to himself. He is donating his time and energy towards something he (and SC and I agree) feels passionate about. Teaching kids that hard work isn't a bad thing.

Double :like: This is why I'll be a welder sooner rather than later, and I'll teach my nieces and nephews this trade later on in life. Oh yea, btw, double :like:

That is a great trade skill. We talked through alternatives to college with my son and we talked about all of the skilled trades out there, electrician, mechanic, plumber and welder were up there as far as his interests... he is 22 and still might go one of those directions. He is taking classes but has no real idea of what he wants to do.

I have done some basic welding and it I found it definitely takes skill to master...

I have a buddy who works as a mechanic for two weeks a month in Alaska then gets flown back to Grand Junction for two weeks where he lives. He makes around $100k a year and he said the welders do too.

Yea, I'm a touch older than your son "Dude" but still young enough to get into it as long as I keep my ducks in a row and pay attention to where the upslopes are in the market. I currently have a Miller 212 (w/autoset that I really never use right now) that I've done some projects with. It takes a TON of practice to master, but if you have the "touch" for it, things go faster, smoother and more fun. I've got the "touch," but I'm not currently in a position to get into an apprenticeship because of legal issues and my current job situation. Things will smooth out, but it's gonna be a couple years. As far as your son goes, whatever he chooses, a trade is always gonna be better than a damn traditional "four year" college. That's my humble opinion, and it's what has worked for a lot of my family for generations. If it's any consolation, tell him to look into WyoTech. It's in Laramie I believe and it's all about trades. They currently have a two year/four year welding degree program and a heavy diesel program. Prolly have some others too, I can't remember, just recall the stuff I was interested in. If I could go back in time to when Pa asked me if I wanted to go to school or work I would have chosen the first. Now breakin in is gonna be that much harder for me, but for me that's part of building character and part of the fun! L-O-L. I wish nothing but the best future for your son, I'm sure he'll choose a trade and follow a path that most people in this country are dumb to, aka: hard work and great rewards for that hard work. We could talk for days about how sad it is that a good majority demonize the successful, but that's part of what made this place great. It's what motivates ME to work HARDER to make more MONEY. I don't envy or loathe richer people, I think about what I can do to BECOME rich MYSELF, hahahahaha, you get it. Either way buddy, cheers.

And Rick, if I could get on with an outfit like your buddy I'd be there! Maybe sometime down that road! As with "Dude," cheers bud. :wink:

31 Oct 2013 13:23 - 24 Sep 2014 14:19 #23 by ScienceChic
I don't know if he's still around and offering classes, but Rory May, one of the former River Canyon gallery co-op artists, held black smithing classes one upon a time. He might be a good one to try to get hold of. He hasn't posted here in a while, but you can try emailing him from this thread he started Rick, if you want to get your son some hands-on experience:

mymountaintown.com/forum/26-jobs-and-ser...4394-custom-ironwork

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Sep 2014 14:15 #24 by ScienceChic
Okay, this is kind of surreal that we have this thread on Mike Rowe and Rory May was mentioned in it because the two have now met - Mike Rowe was in Pine CO yesterday visiting Dragon Forge! Rory and his family made a sign for Mike Rowe's new show premiering on CNN October 8th called Somebody's Gotta Do It .

Posted yesterday on Mike Rowe's Facebook Page :

This is a terrible photo. No one in it, including the dog, is looking at the right camera. Which is why you should be looking at the sign.

Bias aside, I believe it to be a masterpiece. It contains just four welds. Everything else was forged by hand. Specifically, by the hands of Craig and Rory May - a father and son blacksmith team that comprise the artistic genius behind The Dragon Forge. Though Craig appears to have collapsed, and Rory looks a bit shell-shocked, I can assure you they are not only conscious, but entirely inexhaustable, and more than likely right where I left them several days ago - tending their fires and swinging their hammers and making a hell of a racket in the quiet hillside town of Pine Colorado.

I had the great pleasure of wandering into their shop last week, and seeing firsthand what can be accomplished when pure skill and raw talent collide with an uncommon work ethic. These men are not only keeping a critical trade alive and well, they’re making things - beautiful things - that you really need to see to believe. www.dragonforgeltd.com/

More photos on Rory's Facebook Page and you can always check out his amazing artwork on his website, isolatedreality.com/ . Follow Dragon Forge Ltd on Facebook and Twitter too!

Congrats to the May family, looking forward to your episode!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

24 Sep 2014 17:25 #25 by Rick
Very Cool! Definitely going to watch the new show, thanks for posting!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Apr 2015 09:31 #26 by ScienceChic
For those of you who don't venture out of the Courthouse much (tsk tsk. LOL) and haven't seen the announcement in the Campfire, Dragon Forge Ltd's episode on Somebody's Gotta Do It is scheduled for next week, April 16 at 9pm EST on CNN.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds