Obama's Beach Blanket Recovery

12 Aug 2010 18:51 #31 by pineinthegrass

Nmysys wrote: You don't want to miss this video!

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch_popup?v ... &vq=medium

I enjoyed the video. It's good satire, and I was entertained.

He does repeat a popular talking point which really isn't accurate. About 1:35 in he repeats the claim that Obama promised that with the stimulus, unemployment wouldn't go above 8%. I can't find anywhere that he really made such a promise. I think I've heard an audio where you can infer such a claim, but inferring something isn't a promise, and I can't find that audio (I think Obama said that if we don't pass the stimulus, then unemployment would go over 8%. Which probably was a true statement, and you have to infer the "promise"). But I did find this...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/09/eric-cantor/Cantor-and-other-republicans-say-obama-promised-s/

But the guy does make good points. Democrats swore the surge wouldn't work. Reid said the "war was lost", which was not only bad morale for our troops, but he looks like an idiot. Petraeus was grilled in congress and demonized by Dems, but now he's a "brilliant" choice in Afganistan. And the Patriot Act would take away all our civil rights and must be repealed. But Obama has kept it. My guess is he learned that it can help protect our security, and he doesn't want a terrorist act to happen here again. Does anyone know of a case where someone totally innocent got hit by the Patriot Act? I know, like the health care bill, it's very long and sounds scary, but I'd appreciate knowing if it's really been hurting good citizens.

But I'm sure there are examples of this for both parties. One that comes to mind is about Medicare. Some time ago, the Republicans proposed reducing the increase in Medicare funding. The Democrats called this a cut, and said the Repubicans didn't care about seniors. Well, with Obama's health care bill, he proposed reducing the increases in Medicare Advantage. And now the Republicans accused him of pretty much the same thing. Both seem like hypocrites to me.

And back to the Patriot Act. Democrats said they had no time to read/review it before voting on it. But with the health care bill, Republicans said the same thing.

Conservatives love Reagan, but it took over two years before unemployment started going back down after the recession during his administration. Of course, it was all Carter's fault (and much of the damage happened during his administration, IMO). And unemployment under Reagan was even a bit higher than now. But now it's all Obama's fault when he's just been in office a little over 1 1/2 yrs. And they complain every time Bush is mentioned, saying that's the "past". Come on, just admit it. The current recession started under the leadership of George Bush. And it was a very serious one. Personally, I'll give Obama his full 4 years to see if things improve. I won't support him if it doesn't, but then again, I didn't vote for him the first time... :wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds