ACLU sues baker for discrimination

07 Dec 2013 11:03 #11 by archer

Blazer Bob wrote: Like anything else if you take it too far it just gets stupid. There ought to be a law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/2 ... 24533.html

"Weiner, who represents the area, has introduced legislation to amend the city's health code to ban nudity for customers in restaurants (its already prohibited for employees) and require anyone sitting on an outdoor bench or pubic transportation to put down a towel between the seat and their rear ends."

Works for me, do you want to sit on, or have your kid play on, a bench where someone has placed their naked butt? :scared:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Dec 2013 11:20 #12 by FredHayek

archer wrote: I believe if you advertise a service or product to the general public, then anyone in the general public should be able to buy It. Would you feel different if this baker refused a black couple?

The interesting thing is the baker didn't refuse service to the gay couple on any other product they wanted, want a birthday cake? He would sell it to them, but he didn't want to sell them a wedding cake.
I am still a little undecided here myself, is it an example of the lunch counters? Or is it about being able to refuse service to anyone?

And why would you want to do business with someone who refuses you on this? Think you might get a substandard cake if you ordered one? Or why give them your valuable cash?

Boycott but don't sue them.
Rosa Parks? Her cause included a boycott of the city buses until they got what they wanted.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

07 Dec 2013 11:32 #13 by homeagain
Oh Hell, the issue of sanitary conditions OPENS up another can of worms.....you would probably
be APPALLED at the lack of sanitary practices within the food industry/medical industry.....case
in point......the sanitation of surgical instruments after a colonoscopy.....(sorry for the transition
of topics).....THAT procedure is SUB CONTRACTED OUT,the hospital/ clinic does NOT have management of THAT process......(a expose articles was in the WSJ,I believe a year or two ago,
the process is NOW being reviewed....with MORE oversight by the clinics/hospitals being
implemented....it is ONE of the reason I do NOT do colonoscopy practice....(unless the medical
issue is hereditary and there is a KNOWN risk genetically.).....JMO...but I do RESEARCH......

07 Dec 2013 11:36 #14 by archer
Rosa Parks boycott worked, in the long run this nation adopted civil rights, how many times are the citizens going to have to boycott, protest, or go to court before people "get it"?

07 Dec 2013 11:40 #15 by archer
Home again, the risk of a colonoscopy is worth it, one saved my life.... and I had absolutely no risk factors or genetic history of colon cancer. Go to a doctor /hospital you have researched and can trust.

Sorry, way off topic, consider it a public service announcement.

07 Dec 2013 11:45 #16 by homeagain
BUT, that's the point.....people do NOT "get it" (in general).....NOTHING has come about by
"wishing" it so....it has ALWAYS been this GREAT QUOTE....."Never doubt, that a small group of
thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
MARGARET MEAD.....

07 Dec 2013 11:47 #17 by bailey bud
a social boycott would not bug me one bit ---- it's the insistence the government needs to resolve this issue........

I don't think the baker broke any laws.

Did he do something that you or I might disagree with? Yes ---- so demonstrate the disagreement.

07 Dec 2013 12:01 #18 by Blazer Bob

bailey bud wrote: a social boycott would not bug me one bit ---- it's the insistence the government needs to resolve this issue........

I don't think the baker broke any laws.

Did he do something that you or I might disagree with? Yes ---- so demonstrate the disagreement.

Ditto. The judge is imposing his POV on the baker. What if the judge supported pedophile rights.

The basic problem as I see it , and the difference between libertarians and liberals, is that judges and governments are people too. They are just as capable of bad judgement as individuals. If they are allowed to codify everything we end up in an Orwellian future. IMO we are part way there.

07 Dec 2013 12:08 #19 by archer
Isn't the civil rights act law?

07 Dec 2013 13:13 #20 by Rick
If I was gay and found out a baker didn't want to bake my gay wedding cake, I wouldn't even consider letting them make my cake at that point. I would spread the word in any way I could through social media, google/yahoo reviews, and possibly even picket the store if I felt that strongly about it. In business, bad feedback spreads like wildfire, so refusing anybody service is never a good way to grow a business.

Now all that said, I also don't believe the gov't should force a private business to do something they are ideologically against. If the baker was some kind of anti-war crusader and some marine came in wanting a cake covered in guns and soldiers, I wouldn't expect the baker to be forced to make that cake either.

As far as I know, there is no monopoly on cake baking so I'm sure there's dozens of other bakers who would love to make this couple's cake and would probably do a much better job than someone who is against gay marriage.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds