ACA (Obamacare) updates for 2014

19 Feb 2014 18:52 #231 by otisptoadwater
:sarcasm: If you think about it Obamacare will release people who are sick and suffering from their misery; they're not death panels, they're mercy panels! Just imagine, the masses will soon be released from the bondage of working for evil corporations so they can spend what time they have left on the surface of the planet waiting in line for treatment they can't afford, many expiring in the process, and the rest dieing off sooner than later.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2014 19:19 #232 by archer
:sarcasm: when the benevolent insurance company tells you they won't cover your life saving treatment, you take it in stride, after all, insurance companies know best what is good for you.

20 Feb 2014 06:57 #233 by OmniScience

archer wrote: :sarcasm: when the benevolent insurance company tells you they won't cover your life saving treatment, you take it in stride, after all, insurance companies know best what is good for you.

Don't be silly, archer. Everyone understands the Demorats know what is best for you and me.

20 Feb 2014 07:08 #234 by FredHayek
Soylent Green, sponsored by Obamacare. Are you being a drain to your family, go to Soylent Green retirement communities to live out your golden years. Government centered lives ahead for all of us.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Feb 2014 08:17 #235 by archer

OmniScience wrote:

archer wrote: :sarcasm: when the benevolent insurance company tells you they won't cover your life saving treatment, you take it in stride, after all, insurance companies know best what is good for you.

Don't be silly, archer. Everyone understands the Demorats know what is best for you and me.

I beg to differ, according to my rightie friends, corporations are people and have nothing but our best interests at heart. If we will just let them be, free of regulations, they will do the right thing.

20 Feb 2014 09:38 #236 by RenegadeCJ

archer wrote:

OmniScience wrote:

I beg to differ, according to my rightie friends, corporations are people and have nothing but our best interests at heart. If we will just let them be, free of regulations, they will do the right thing.

Incorrect. Most corporations are people. A corporation is just a type of business entity. They aren't evil by definition. If they are run by evil people, then the people who run them are bad...the corporation isn't bad. They have the interests of their shareholders at heart. No conservative I know thinks there should be NO regulations, but what we are getting into is way to much regulation. It just drives up costs for the consumer.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

20 Feb 2014 09:47 #237 by FredHayek
Exactly. Example: Sarbanes Oxley was passed to prevent future Enrons so now my corporation has to jump through these endless hoops and has added hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs. We make medical instruments and we have to pass on these costs to our customers. And has Sarbanes Oxley done any good? Sure seems like there are still bad apples in the corporate world who defraud people and SOX is only expensive window dressing.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Feb 2014 21:28 #238 by PrintSmith

If you had contracted with them to provide that service, then they would, in accordance with the contract, provide the service. When, however, you ask for service which is not within the four corners of the contract, then of course they will refuse to pay for it. After all, why should they pay for something you didn't pay them to insure you against? I'm sure they would have been happy to sell you a rider for experimental treatment costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in exchange for a higher premium. If you yourself did not anticipate your need for the treatment, how is it that you expect them to be more prescient about your future needs than you are?

And really, the "lifesaving treatment" you are referencing is really, in most instances, the second of the two chances (none and slim) that the potentially lifesaving treatment provides. It is a slightly better chance than a snowball has in Hades, but not by much usually. Add that to the reality that it is not life saving, only life prolonging - if it works that is, because unless there is something you have failed to tell us about yourself, if your life ends in not at all in question, only when it will end.

20 Feb 2014 21:47 #239 by archer
Of course you are right PS, it has always been that way. The insurance company gets to decide what treatment is right for you, not your doctor. We wouldn't want doctors to make that decision now would we?

20 Feb 2014 21:52 #240 by archer
I think I understand now, the mythical death panels the conservatives see in Obamacare are bad, the real death panels PrintSmith claims are part of the insurance industry are acceptable. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds