Unhappy with CDOT?

12 Mar 2014 09:24 #1 by jf1acai
Unhappy with CDOT? was created by jf1acai
Are you unhappy with CDOT after this morning's drive down the ice rink?

The number to call for Complaints to CDOT is 303-757-9485 - http://www.coloradodot.info/topcontent/ ... topic.html

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Mar 2014 09:31 #2 by Engineer2207
Replied by Engineer2207 on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
I am fine with the roads. It's the unprepared/inattentive drivers that cause a problem for me.

12 Mar 2014 09:52 #3 by OmniScience
Replied by OmniScience on topic Unhappy with CDOT?

Engineer2207 wrote: I am fine with the roads. It's the unprepared/inattentive drivers that cause a problem for me.

+1

12 Mar 2014 09:57 #4 by Ronbo
Replied by Ronbo on topic Unhappy with CDOT?

Engineer2207 wrote: I am fine with the roads. It's the unprepared/inattentive drivers that cause a problem for me.

:YeahThat:

12 Mar 2014 10:05 #5 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
What engineer said. Learn how to drive in poor/bad conditions or stay off the road.

12 Mar 2014 10:14 #6 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
It's going to be a LONG decade of bitching about bald tires,bad drivers and all the other B.S.
associated with driving in Colorado....the reason?......Colorado (denver metro area) is number
EIGHT on the list of fastest growing cities,soon to be number THREE....per Channel 9 News....

Being a native of Colorado, I have found that with each passing year the issue worsens..the roads (infrastructure) has NOT kept up with the growth and the intelligence of the drivers
continues to slide down hill (pun intended)....it's NOT that difficult to 1). leave 2 or 3 car
lengths between you and the next car. 2). IF you persist in being "in the pack" (following
closely in tight bunches)you WILL eventually get yourself in trouble, because there is NO
room to maneuver if someone ahead of you gets their ass in a sling, LEAVE YOURSELF A
POCKET OF ROOM around all sides of your car (if possible).and FINALLY 3.) it is NOT necessary
or advisable to "race" the pack down the hill...DRIVE the speed the conditions dictate...pretty
damn simple and yet it appears that thought process is only for the "stupid"/old or scary cats. :Thud:

12 Mar 2014 10:27 #7 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
Like your post HA. However there are some problems with it. In ideal circumstances you can do that. But when someone is going 5 mph and impeding traffic and you can't really get around them so you put some distance between you and them it often means there are a number of cars behind you tailgating you and deciding you are the problem. What is a person supposed to do?

It will continue to get worse as you say, so make sure your car is in good working condition with adequate tires, decide that it is going to take some time because there are lousy inexperienced snow/ice drivers and be so totally alert like you are in afghanistan and you never know where the next sniper fire or land mines are coming from.

12 Mar 2014 10:47 #8 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
MANNO, I understand the issue of painfully slow drivers who do NOT understand that when you
lOSE your momentum you are screwed,part of the problem, as I view it, is drivers are NOT
looking ahead (multiple cars ahead, like 4 or 5 cars at least....IF you can do that (I understand
that in SOME cases you can't) then you can move over EARLY and get pass the inexperienced/
paralyzed driver.....it is the same with double lane turns and only ONE lane is being used and
is overly stacked....looking ahead at that scenario (by multiple cars) I can usually get thru a
turn signal on the first attempt....defensive driving is NOT what I am seeing on the roads(and
it WILL get worse)....text and cell phone use should be OUTLAWED WHEN DRIVING....and a
very stiff fine to TRULY enforce the law....problem half solved...JMO

12 Mar 2014 11:01 #9 by Blondie
Replied by Blondie on topic Unhappy with CDOT?

GreatGran wrote: <clip>
and be so totally alert like you are in afghanistan and you never know where the next sniper fire or land mines are coming from.

on 285? :Confused:

12 Mar 2014 11:07 #10 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Unhappy with CDOT?
Same problem between Fairplay and Breckenridge...vehicles with inadequate tires, drivers that do not know how to drive in slick conditions, and drivers that seem to know what to do but are going way, way too fast for conditions. Oh, and please if you are from out of state (which a lot of people going between Summit and Park Counties are 'cuz they are working at the ski areas)...know that just 'cuz the roads are decent in Breckenridge, they will likely not be that way going over Hoosier Pass.

Also, the lack of any kind of anything on the ice this morning didn't help.

I believe for people to drive in this state they need to: A) Take a test, either practical or written, about safe winter driving conditions (maybe watch a video, too)...Vail Resorts if you are hiring from out of state, make this be part of the indoctrination for your workers! B) The authorities should be ticketing people if they are unprepared, under-driving, or over-driving...and instead of waiting for the scouts to tell the CDOT trucks at 8 am that they need to get out there and put sand on slick spots...get out there sooner. Most people traveling these roads have to be to work way before CDOT gets out there.

Another irk is people who do not clean off their vehicles of snow...do they not realize that if I cannot see them, they cannot see out? Aren't the windows there to see out of for safety purposes?

Keep space between vehicles if possible, drive consistent speeds, if on slick roads just slow down...don't brake if at all possible, and pay attention. If you are a slow driver like me, pull off at regular intervals to let those going faster pass you safely. Most of all...do not get frustrated or angry...this usually leads to un-safe driving and has caused more accidents than naught...it is better to get to your destination safe & late than not at all.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds