Amendments 60 & 61?

16 Aug 2010 15:51 #1 by FredHayek
The Denver Post ran a story today about the big bucks assembling to oppose these tax limiting measures, including the teacher's union and road builders.

Do you support these measures?
While I normally do support tax limiting legislation and voted against both Referendum C & D, I haven't decided if limiting tax receipts is a good idea in this bad economy.

But knowing the bond writers are against these proposals makes me think I should vote for them.

Some of my friends who work for local goverment have already been warned that if this passes, there will be layoffs.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2010 16:10 #2 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
What is the overall difference in private sector pay vs. Govt. pay for same job, 10%, 15%? First, even the playing field then, impose additional cuts to reflect the poor economy.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

16 Aug 2010 16:12 #3 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
My budget has been cut practically to the bone. My IREA bill is higher so I have to cut elsewhere in my spending, because there is no more money coming in to cover the increased bill. I have to cut things that have value in my life, that are worthwhile, so that I can live within my means.

The government, on the other hand, just keeps spending and spending and spending as if there is an endless supply of money. They need to do the same cutting I have had to do, instead of passing more taxes under the guise of "fees". They are doing everything possible to gut TABOR, even though it was the will of the people.

My brother works for a governmental agency and they've been told that there will be 12-15% cuts across the board. Welcome to my personal world.

And I'm sick of government fear mongering to frighten us into allowing them unlimited access to our pocketbooks (i.e., there will be no ambulance service, people will lose their jobs, etc.). Think of all the ballot issues that have gotten turned down and yet the world did not end.

It's time for government, from local to national, to live within their means.

Stepping down from my soap box now. :soap:

16 Aug 2010 17:31 #4 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
Both are poorly constructed and I will not support either , the intentions may be good but the consequences will suck. I can't vote for either choice on the poll.There is a ton of fat but these amendments do not do a responsible job of cutting it.

16 Aug 2010 17:57 #5 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Amendments 60 & 61?

Some of my friends who work for local goverment have already been warned that if this passes, there will be layoffs.

I say join the party! Are all people that work for the gubmint special?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

16 Aug 2010 20:23 #6 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Amendments 60 & 61?

SS109 wrote: The Denver Post ran a story today about the big bucks assembling to oppose these tax limiting measures, including the teacher's union and road builders.

Do you support these measures?
While I normally do support tax limiting legislation and voted against both Referendum C & D, I haven't decided if limiting tax receipts is a good idea in this bad economy.

But knowing the bond writers are against these proposals makes me think I should vote for them.

Let me put it from my perspective. I'm in construction, and if these pass, the construction industry will be a "last one out shut off the lights" type of thing. I'm heavily against it, because it will destroy many industries in Colorado, construction being one of them. State govt is not like the feds. They aren't "borrowing" $$ from China, but rather just bonding for what needs to be done. No different than telling everyone they must pay cash for their house....long term borrowing is done thru bonds.

I'm all for limiting wasteful spending, but if these pass....hope you have a job that doesn't depend on a thriving growth economy.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

16 Aug 2010 21:20 #7 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
As I am not all savy on taxes other than I pay them, There is alot of jobs in private sector that get paid alot more than government, and vice versus. So if I understand this, they want to pass a law that will limit taxes but yet we are in a recession still, but if it doesn't pass what happens to our pockets other than getting emptier. Seems like a no win. Someone tell me if I got this wrong.

16 Aug 2010 22:14 #8 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
I don’t pretend to know enough about these but…. here comes the plug. We are having one of our group speak on these two issues as well as prop 101 at this week’s 285Corridor Tea Party meeting. We also have Rob McNealy, Libertarian Candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Colorado CD 6 who is scheduled to speak on these issues. So come on down Wednesday night to Beaver Ranch. The most it’ll cost you is a an hour or so and a buck or two, if you decide to kick in for the hall rental.
Be informed, be active, don't let others make decisions for you.

https://sites.google.com/site/285corridorteapartygroup/

16 Aug 2010 23:16 #9 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
This is more Doug Bruce "kill all taxes--no matter what." Sorry, but some taxes are necessary, and some taxes are good. Cutting taxes just to cut taxes with no regard of the impact is stupid. I won't vote for 'em...And it's not because I enjoy paying taxes...I don't. (In fact, I just found out that mine went up $200, and it's going to change my mortgage-payment each month...) But some are necessary.

16 Aug 2010 23:26 #10 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Amendments 60 & 61?
I don't have a problem telling the government to tighten their belts. Colorado is already running a deficit, if politicians could do the responsible thing in the first place we would not have a deficit in the first place. Government is not any more special than you or I, when you have an income problem, you need to cut spending.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds