Breaking News: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

17 Jul 2014 10:08 #1 by ScienceChic
Crashed or shot down? If the latter, this could escalate things nastily. Those poor people on the plane, and their families. :(

Report: Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine
By Ashley Fantz, CNN
updated 11:57 AM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jul 2014 10:46 #3 by mountaindollar
They are asking that people wait before they jump to say it was shot down but if you look at the Internet it is just crazy.

17 Jul 2014 10:49 #4 by otisptoadwater
There is a lot of information that needs to be gathered to draw a definitive conclusion but the coincidence of this aircraft coming down in roughly the same location as a Ukrainian AN-26 cargo aircraft was shot down on Monday points to an air to ground missile system such as the Russian Buk medium range missile system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

If the press reports are accurate, the Malaysian Boeing 777 was flying between 33 and 34 thousand feet when it either was shot down or it experienced some other form of catastrophic failure such as an explosion on board the aircraft. If that is the case I can't imagine that any of the passenger or crew suffered for more than a second or two at the most.

Both Russia and Ukraine have issued statements indicating that neither party is responsible for downing this aircraft as well as pointing the finger at each other. So who dunn'it? Pro Russian separatists? The Buk missile system has been in service since 1979 and I suppose it's possible that some Pro Russian separatists could have the training required to operate the Buk missile system. If that is the case it's frightening to me that Pro Russian separatists would have access to these kinds of weapons.

Stay tuned, we may never get all of the facts but it sure looks to me like this aircraft was shot down or was sabotaged internally inflight. Who dunn'it and why are the questions I want to have answered.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Jul 2014 11:14 #5 by homeagain
There is speculation (STILL) ABOUT TWA FLIGHT 800....eyewitnesses swear they saw a missile prior to
explosion AND there is a two second gap on the flight recorder data....of which is UNexplained....one
of the victim's father stated " I trusted the government prior to this event, NOT anymore", he maintains
the mysterious two second gap is the sticking point. Government/FAA put the source of explosion as a
center tank fuel explosion.....per CNN Special Report several nites ago....STILL 100's of eye witnesses
state they SAW a missile trail PRIOR to explosion....these incidents have MANY facets and the REAL truth
is obscured because of that.

17 Jul 2014 11:15 #6 by FredHayek
The FAA wouldn't let American planes fly over the war zone, I saw a display showing many other flights turning away from Ukraine after the Malaysian aircraft crashed.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Jul 2014 12:13 #7 by BaconLover
Looks like there have been several warning about not flying over Ukraine, but (allegedly) airlines were still doing it to save money (shorter route).

If that's the cast Malaysian Airlines is certainly negligent.

17 Jul 2014 14:35 #8 by PrintSmith
Why would that be? Because they didn't believe that even the Russian separatists in the Ukraine were actually crazy enough to shoot a civilian aircraft out of the sky? That makes them negligent because the Russians are indeed that crazy?

17 Jul 2014 14:49 #9 by homeagain
Per WSJ and CNBC.....surface to air missile fired on jetliner.....us intelligence verified.

17 Jul 2014 14:51 #10 by homeagain

ExtremeModerate wrote: Looks like there have been several warning about not flying over Ukraine, but (allegedly) airlines were still doing it to save money (shorter route).

If that's the cast Malaysian Airlines is certainly negligent.

They were ALREADY bordering on bankruptcy with the FIRST EVENT....this is going to tank the carrier.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds