Colorado Anti-Fracking Measures To be Pulled Off the Ballot

08 Aug 2014 20:19 - 08 Aug 2014 20:20 #21 by otisptoadwater

homeagain wrote: It's my understanding, techniques NOW utilized REQUIRE copious amounts of water to complete the process....water is a FINITE resource,locally and GLOBALLY....there are ramifications to that process and I believe Gaia is NOT able to sustain the assault. Climate change has "upped" the ante and "we"(read the companies making more $$$$)are shooting craps that it can continue DEPENDING UPON WATER AVAILABILITY.

The Water Cycle

The water cycle is the continuous movement of water in and around the Earth. As previously mentioned, water never really goes away -- it just changes form. The sun drives the entire water cycle and is responsible for its two major components: condensation and evaporation. When the sun heats the surface of water, it evaporates and ends up in the atmosphere as water vapor. It cools and rises, becoming clouds, which eventually condense into water droplets. Depending on the temperature of the atmosphere and other conditions, the water precipitates as rain, sleet, hail or snow.

Read more: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/h2o6.htm

Do the research indeed. Water doesn't leave the planet, it can't. While you might not find water when and where you want it, water is not a finite resource. The challenge with water is to use it where it's geographically available and do what you can not to ruin it's purity and availability. Is it wise to conserve water? Absolutely. Is it accurate to be critical of industries that use water to extract minerals from the earth (BY PUTTING WATER BACK IN THE GROUND)? Do the research and get back to us. We'll wait.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2014 21:19 #22 by FredHayek
Great point. I saw a Facebook post accusing Nestle bottle water company of using up all the underground water!!!!!!! Guess my urine stream just disappears.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Aug 2014 09:02 #23 by homeagain
THIS is just one example of the MASSIVE problem, recent satellite imagery has SHOCKED the scientific
community of just how much GROUND WATER HAS BEEN DEPLETED..( I have company this week I will
post the thread of that report (later.).... water.usgs.gov/edu/gwdepletion.html

09 Aug 2014 20:10 #25 by Venturer
Would that be why areas of Bailey and Conifer have so many bad wells? Or is this a cycle that will improve in time? How does all the rain we have had affect the water table? Now I am curious how it will affect Denver Water and other water rights owners.

11 Aug 2014 15:21 #26 by PrintSmith

homeagain wrote:

BlazerBob wrote:

homeagain wrote: NO PS, I have a PROBLEM with the new technology (that is based on MORE $$$$$ for the company) and CREATES
unforseen ramifications....do the RESEARCH....

Are you overlooking the foreseen ramifications? The footprint is much less. Therefore the despoiling of the earths surface is much less. Therefor Mother Gaia is happy happy. Millions of starving people around the world are happy happy. Cheaper energy means they have a better chance of not living lives of hunger, ignorance and despair. Do the research.

It's my understanding, techniques NOW utilized REQUIRE copious amounts of water to complete the
process....water is a FINITE resource,locally and GLOBALLY....there are ramifications to that process and
I believe Gaia is NOT able to sustain the assault. Climate change has "upped" the ante and "we"(read
the companies making more $$$$)are shooting craps that it can continue DEPENDING UPON WATER AVAILABILITY.

A lot of which is recovered from the well upon completion of the fracking and transported to the next well that needs to be fracked, where again most of it is recovered and shipped to the next well. You are attempting to convey the image that every time a well is fracked "copious amounts" of virgin potable water are consumed to accomplish the task. That tactic might be useful to create and sustain hysteria, but it is nowhere near the vicinity of the truth.

The fact of the matter is that the fracking cocktail doesn't contain anything that isn't flushed into the waste water system by nearly every American household each and everyday. What is different is that with fracking it isn't running into the water supply, it is injected far below the potable water table and almost exclusively below the brackish water table as well.

If you are truly that unhappy about the use of potable water in the fracking cocktail, then by all means, give the companies access to use the brackish water instead. Most of the current generation of fluids uses potable water because that is what the companies have access to in order to comply with the regulations attached to their industry. But I suspect that you are going to have even greater difficulty getting the environmental zealots to permit that water to be used than has been realized thus far when starting with potable water.

Mostly, though, I believe you are referring to seismicity as associated with fracking when you speak of "unforeseen" consequences - that seems to be the latest target of the fear mongering associated with fracking these days. The fact of that matter is that the likelihood of seismic activity associated with fracking goes down as more and more experience is gained. And when there is seismic activity, it falls in the 1-4 range on the Richter Scale - far enough down the scale that there is no danger of damage associated with it. If you were to say that you believed that much of the recent seismic activity near Greeley was the result of fracking in the area, I would agree with you, but as nearly all of those quakes are 3 or below on the Richter Scale I don't see why it should be of concern.

13 Aug 2014 15:53 #27 by swansei
If I knew work I was doing was creating 3.0 earthquakes that would be ok? I don't think so.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

13 Aug 2014 17:05 #28 by PrintSmith
Why? They do no damage to anyone's property. What is the harm in releasing some of the pent-up resistance in geological formations when such is the case? There are literally hundreds of such earthquakes annually around the globe.

13 Aug 2014 19:27 #29 by swansei
Fine. I will buy the mineral rights to your place and cause 3.0 earthquakes. Shouldn't be a problem.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

14 Aug 2014 21:24 #30 by PrintSmith
I'm sure the current owner of those rights would be more than happy to sell you the gas and oil rights for a modest fee. Why I hear tell that the unproven reserves in the Bailey formation makes ANWAR look like a small play. Did I mention I have a bridge for sale too? :silly:

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds