Colorado Anti-Fracking Measures To be Pulled Off the Ballot

14 Aug 2014 21:37 #31 by otisptoadwater

swansei wrote: Fine. I will buy the mineral rights to your place and cause 3.0 earthquakes. Shouldn't be a problem.

All things considered, a 3.0 earthquake isn't really a big deal and they happen all over the world on a frequent basis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2014 22:22 #32 by Blazer Bob

swansei wrote: Fine. I will buy the mineral rights to your place and cause 3.0 earthquakes. Shouldn't be a problem.

No please buy mine instead. I will take 3.0 earthquakes all day and all night long for a modest fee.

Btw the Richter scale is logarithmic.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

2.0–2.9 Minor I to II Felt slightly by some people. No damage to buildings. Over one million per year
3.0–3.9 II to IV Often felt by people, but very rarely causes damage. Shaking of indoor objects can be noticeable. Over 100,000 per year
4.0–4.9 Light IV to VI Noticeable shaking of indoor objects and rattling noises. Felt by most people in the affected area. Slightly felt outside. Generally causes none to minimal damage. Moderate to significant damage very unlikely. Some objects may fall off shelves or be knocked over.

15 Aug 2014 07:56 #33 by homeagain

15 Aug 2014 13:52 #34 by PrintSmith
Is this what you were referring to?

Bill Ellsworth, a geoscientist with the U.S. Geological Survey, has said, however: “We don't see any connection between hydraulic fracturing and earthquakes of any concern to society.”[68] The National Research Council (part of the National Academy of Sciences) has also observed that hydraulic fracturing, when used in shale gas recovery, does not pose a serious risk of causing earthquakes that can be felt.[69]

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds