Colorado Anti-Fracking Measures To be Pulled Off the Ballot

05 Aug 2014 09:33 #1 by FredHayek
Looks like Polis has caved in to Governor Hickenlooper and will take off the ballot anti-fracking measures that were to be voted on in November. I support fracking but I also think the people of the communities where the fracking takes place should get to vote on it. Don't like the idea of money limiting democracy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2014 10:57 - 05 Aug 2014 10:58 #2 by ScienceChic
And that's exactly what Polis said last night at his Conifer Town Hall. He supports whatever each local area/municipality/town whishes for their area. For those towns who have passed moratoriums, he supports their position. For towns that have welcomed it, he supports that too. He also said he doesn't support the federal gov't (or corporations) coming in and saying "no you can't ban that" or that "you have to allow fracking", and over-riding the locals' wishes. The important thing is to have dialog, find out the real pros and cons, and decide what's best for your community.

Edit to add: we'll see if his actions match his words.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Aug 2014 11:54 #3 by OmniScience
Something I'm wondering about on this topic ---If certain communities decided to ban fracking, then how do you allocate the massive taxes and royalties that the county and state generate? How would you ensure that communities which did not allow fracking do not recieve the financial benefits?

05 Aug 2014 12:04 #4 by ScienceChic
That's an interesting question. Something else I learned last night is that Polis wrote or sponsored legislation to allow those who do not use medical facilities/treatments due to their religious beliefs to opt out of the ACA and not be penalized for it. Since they say they will never make use of anything the ACA provides, why should they have to pay for it?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Aug 2014 12:12 #5 by FredHayek

OmniScience wrote: Something I'm wondering about on this topic ---If certain communities decided to ban fracking, then how do you allocate the massive taxes and royalties that the county and state generate? How would you ensure that communities which did not allow fracking do not recieve the financial benefits?

The oil and gas industry has also got a couple measures on the ballot that would penalize anti-fracking communities. So the deal essentially says the pro-fracking people will deep six their two bills and the anti's will stop their two bills. The Denver Post is supporting the deal so maybe it isn't as much of a rollover as I thought. And if either side changes their mind, they can make changes next year.

Sie note: The Feds to save the sage grouse just eliminated from drilling an area bigger than Yellowstone.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Aug 2014 18:43 #6 by PrintSmith

ScienceChic wrote: And that's exactly what Polis said last night at his Conifer Town Hall. He supports whatever each local area/municipality/town whishes for their area. For those towns who have passed moratoriums, he supports their position. For towns that have welcomed it, he supports that too. He also said he doesn't support the federal gov't (or corporations) coming in and saying "no you can't ban that" or that "you have to allow fracking", and over-riding the locals' wishes. The important thing is to have dialog, find out the real pros and cons, and decide what's best for your community.

Edit to add: we'll see if his actions match his words.

The problem with that is that the resources don't belong to the people who want to ban the fracking. Others have paid good money for those resources, and they, not the town, not the inhabitants of the town, are the rightful owners of the property, ie the oil and gas, that was purchased with their money. You do not have the right to deny to someone else property that belongs to them - it is a violation to the very foundation of the idea of property rights.

05 Aug 2014 19:14 - 05 Aug 2014 20:00 #7 by otisptoadwater
I'm not a real estate expert but when I bought my home I did notice that I signed a contract that did not grant me ownership of the mineral rights under my property. I own the ground and I own the buildings on my lot, I am obligated to grant access to the mineral owners should they request it. That means that the owner of the minerals under my property can erect a well, drilling rig, and use existing roads to access their equipment as well as cut their own roads on my property.

There also seems to be a large NIMBY factor in this issue. Citizens in Longmont don't want fracking in or near their city. I imagine that a rancher who owns property 15 miles northeast of Roggen might welcome the potential improvements to the roads on his property and the potential for some modest compensation from the companies harvesting the minerals under his land.

IMHO Polis seems to have a very shifty stance on this topic, he's trying to take a page out of Slick Willy's book attempting to be everything to everyone. If you are for and against anything then it's essentially the same as saying you don't have any opinion either way. The whole thing stinks of greasy palms and smoky back room deals to me.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Aug 2014 19:53 #8 by swansei
PS what you say makes sense. Why then were there ballot measures? It is possible to get anything on the ballot whether it would be legal or not? And what about the Commission advising the state legislature. Will the Commission take into account the legal issues?

PrintSmith wrote: The problem with that is that the resources don't belong to the people who want to ban the fracking. Others have paid good money for those resources, and they, not the town, not the inhabitants of the town, are the rightful owners of the property, ie the oil and gas, that was purchased with their money. You do not have the right to deny to someone else property that belongs to them - it is a violation to the very foundation of the idea of property rights.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

07 Aug 2014 15:54 #9 by PrintSmith
Ballot measures are sometimes a means to replace the rule of law with democracy, aka mob rule. That is why even after ballot measures are enacted, even ones which amend the State Constitution, and even laws enacted by duly elected legislatures, there are legal challenges to the results.

And don't hold your breath thinking any politically derived commission is going to be concerned with legalities. Those commissions are generally created to find a way to circumvent at least the spirit of the law if not the law itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swansei

07 Aug 2014 20:33 #10 by swansei
Thanks PS. And then there is always the question whether the legislature will even listen or take into account what the Commission recommends.

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds