SHEPARD OF THE ROCKIES CHURCH SHUTTING DOWN FOOD BANK

18 Aug 2010 06:32 #1 by navycpo7
The church council decided last night to shut the food bank down that was providing food to well over 800 folks a week. One of the main reason sited was that "Park county code enforcement came in and said they were in violation of having to many refrigerators plugged in (total of 6 in various locations). I am sending an inquire to the head of code enforcement asking for a copy of the paperwork on this visit. (Of which I believe was no visit.) I hope that someone from that council reads this also. I want them to respond to the community about how they could do this when so many need the help. Now alot of families will even have less because of the greed of a few that did not like the food bank being there. The Pastor is a really good individual, but the overrode him to. If anyone knows of a large building, that the food bank could operate out of let us know please thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2010 06:42 #2 by CC
Navycpo7. Do you have some phone numbers people could call?
When you say code enforcement....do you mean Park County? Fire dept?
Who exactly shut you down?
The Food Bank has provided an invaluable service to this community for some time. What the heck is wrong with people these days?

18 Aug 2010 07:45 #3 by LopingAlong
Could we store food at other places--people's homes maybe--and disperse from there?

18 Aug 2010 07:47 #4 by truecolors

18 Aug 2010 08:34 #5 by rlcarolyn
Ok Everyone!!!! This is Carolyn and Frank Roome! I didn't want to put my name down until I found out more about this site since over at Pine Cam I was Blasted and supposedly had a motive for what ever I was involved in. SOOO.... Here is the story: Frank and I started this food bank back in May of 2008 and it grew so big we didn't even have room in our apartment for all the food and families that were coming in. We were open 7 days a week from 7 am to sometime 10 pm helping people and giving them food. It started out with vegetables and fruit, from there it grew to getting bread and dairy, then frozen meats and so on. I put the word out to the coalition that I needed help and I needed a place to have for all this food and the community as it was we were helping over 80 families a week and grew to 150 when we gave it to Jackie Peterson.

I have been EXTREMELY proud of Jackie and Jack, her husband, for the year they have had it. Which in fact last week was the anniversary for the food bank being taken over by her. They have corporate funding now and have a wonderful bunch of volunteers, they are now feeding over 541 families, which means 1784 people that are being helped at the food bank and over 12,000 lbs of food a week. PRAISE GOD!!!!!

Now I talked with Jackie this morning and yes they had a meeting last night and no the code enforcement was not used, but an engineer that from what I gather was ask by the lady's group that is SO PROUD OF THEIR KITCHEN and has been fighting having this food bank at the church because it will hurt their poor kitchen and all the events they have.

HUMMMM Church? What kind of events, LOL go ask them. They seem to think that it's an inconvenience to help the community. Is that was Christ Said? They are worried that their events won't make money. Doesn't that sound like Christ being at the temple and all the people that were selling stuff at the temple and we was mad. What did he do? Let you look that one up.

Here is what I came up with and some fellow good people that even don't know about 285 bound say this is a good idea!
We will be setting up Picketing groups that will go up and picket the church with signs on why are you turning away from your community? Why aren't you obeying God's word. We will not be printing the names of the lady's group, but we can sure voice our opinion to the church. I have a few places to check out for putting the food bank there but in the mean time let's GO AND BE there Let's PUT OUR VOICES TOGETHER PLEASE.

God did stat this, Both Frank and I feel this, it just fell into our laps and it grew and kept growing. I prayed a long time and God did answer this prayer and seen our dilemma and how much we needed up here. Don't let this one get a way please.

Call me if you care to help out putting together groups or ideas.

303-816-1551

18 Aug 2010 09:01 #6 by LopingAlong
Ya know, I understand what you're feeling and where you're coming from, but really, what if, instead of fighting with picketing, etc., we spend that energy on finding a solution to the issue?

If the church doesn't want to do it, why force them to? I can store some things here; I don't have a lot of room, but can make some. Just let me know when, where, what and when. I'm sure others will also volunteer. I am not much intersted in picketing an organization in hopes of forcing them to do something they don't want to. It's their facility, their choice, their karma...Let's figure out what to do from this point forward.

18 Aug 2010 09:08 #7 by CC
Loping...I couldn't agree more. Why spend all this negative energy to fight when it is so much more fulfilling to use that energy in a positive direction.
I won't help picket but i will help in a more positive way such as finding a new location or even helping to store some food here also.

18 Aug 2010 09:09 #8 by LadyJazzer
Why does everything have to be so confrontational all the time? I should think looking for a positive solution would be a better use of energy.

18 Aug 2010 09:17 #9 by AV8OR
Loping & Becky,

Good job on thinking PROACTIVE!

Looks like, as usual, someone else comes along, after the Monday night game with their two cents.

18 Aug 2010 09:21 #10 by Local_Historian
I can help a couple of mornings a week if a new site can be found. However, I do have to work afternoons and evenings.

Have you spoken to a couple of the other churches who do food banks in the area? They might be willing to let people use the space if they didn't have to man it. Call Friendship Baptist. Call Mountain Peace Shelter and see if they know of an alternative site. Is there a community center in Bailey that might be used? I know it's a bit far down, but what about the Aspen Park community center?

As for Sheperd, well, heaven forbid that poor people are in their church, we surely wouldn't want that. And yes, that is very heavy sarcasm.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds