Colorado right-to-die legislation announced

02 Feb 2015 19:43 #41 by homeagain

HEARTLESS wrote: homeagain, We get it, really. You're for right to die legislation. Others aren't. The more times you quote yourself, it only makes you look foolish.

I have done ALOT of research,from WSJ articles to books authored by surgeons,internal medicine doctors,NURSES (my good friend is a hospice nurse,doing graduate work for her Nurse Practitioners license)
I have a pretty well rounded understanding of the problems...the MAJORITY of the medical field has the
perspective that has been posted in the link...it is the REASON I have reposted the topic (it is YOUR
view it makes me look foolish...I believe otherwise, not all viewers here on MMT will look backward thru
multiple posts to UNDERSTAND a medical viewpoint.

It is NOT just me who believes this legislation is long overdue...so AGAIN, PS....post a link that substantiates that the medical community is affiliated with the D's...it is a HUMAN ISSUE and because of
the lack of willingness to tackle the HARD FACTS we have found ourselves in an unsustainable healthcare crisis that will END in bankruptcy for this nation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Feb 2015 20:06 #42 by homeagain
"The problem of inappropriate use or OVERuse of medical procedures is a difficult nut to crack. For one,physicians,hospitals and the life science industry are all aligned and INCENTIVIZED to do MORE procedures." Even at the subconscious level, as graphically portrayed in ATUL GAWANDES 2009 New Yorker article, "The Cost Conundrum".....certainly not all procedures are carried out in the patients best interest." EXCERPT from book by Eric Topol, M.D.

ATUL GAWANDE authored several books,all from a surgeon's viewpoint of the challenges he faces in
the medical arena....IF you wish I can also cite you date,volume of articles from the WSJ regarding the
medicare crisis, the role UNNECESSARY procedures play in the fubar we have as a health care delivery
system.....YOU may think this is personal,but I ASSURE you it effects EVERYONE ONE OF US in one way or another...we ALL are paying for this issue....information is POWER.

03 Feb 2015 03:05 #43 by HEARTLESS
homeagain, You must already have DNR and advanced directives/living will in place I presume. What else do you hope to get from the additional laws?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

03 Feb 2015 06:48 #44 by homeagain

HEARTLESS wrote: homeagain, You must already have DNR and advanced directives/living will in place I presume. What else do you hope to get from the additional laws?

BECAUSE, a native of Colorado, I do NOT wish to move to one of five states that have LEGALIZED MY
option to release/relieve suffering at the end of life..

www.lifesitenews.com/news/brittnay-mayna...as-committed-suicide

04 Feb 2015 12:30 #45 by ComputerBreath

PrintSmith wrote:

ComputerBreath wrote: If someone has a terminal condition or disease and wants at some point the option of ending their life because they do not want to experience the pain or horribleness of what the condition is going to do...again, I believe they should be given that option.

Each to his own. I see all points of view given.

They already have that option CB, without involving anyone else in an act of homicide to accomplish their death. That's the point. The Democrats are not after anything compassionate here, the end game is to make it a societal expectation that one who is facing the end of their life anyway to swallow the pills and die already.

Actually, PS, it is not homicide when a physician prescribes a lethal dose of medication to someone who is going to use it to end their life. That person is committing the act of death themselves, so it is suicide, making what the physician does as assisted suicide.

Yes, you are correct...anyone that wants to end their life has multiple options for doing so and doesn't have to involve the medical community. I'd be curious to know how many of the ways one wants to commit physician-unassisted suicide are painful and/or messy. Messy in the physical sense and messy in the spiritual/mental health sense for those that are left behind.

To me, the idea of physician-assisted suicide is not necessarily for me, though as I said previously, if I were given a diagnosis that involved pain & horribleness, I'd take it...it is for my family and friends--I'd get to tell them good-bye my own way; they wouldn't have to watch me deteriorate into a shell of myself or watch me waste away or watch me be in pain; and they wouldn't have to find my body had I chosen to kill myself without the aid of a physician; and lastly, there would be no cops called 'cuz a dead body was found, nor would there be an investigation, nor would there have to be a clean-up crew hired by the state but paid for by the homeowner called to clean up any body fluids.

Lastly, should it happen, I hope that by me ending my own life with the help of a physician and the knowledge of those I love, it would alleviate some of the mental anguish that may be felt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, onpoint

04 Feb 2015 14:05 #46 by PrintSmith
Homicide is an act by one that results in the death of another CB. The person providing a lethal dose of barbiturates, whether they are a street dealer or a physician, is an act by one that results in the death of the other, and properly defined as a homicidal act. To be sure, it is a voluntary act of homicide since it is essentially a suicide pact that we are talking about here, but it is most certainly a homicide under any definition of the term that's been in use from well before the time of the Revolutionary War to the present.

04 Feb 2015 14:35 #47 by ScienceChic
Life is not so black and white. It may technically be homicide, but I would never consider it so if my loved one chose to get help to end their life if they were suffering with no hope of recovery. It's the compassionate thing to do, and it should not be against the law - people should have the right to decide for themselves and they shouldn't have to suffer by starving themselves to death to end their lives. That's just barbaric in my opinion; I would hope that we've evolved beyond forcing someone to suffer a life filled with pain and sorrow.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Feb 2015 16:04 - 04 Feb 2015 16:05 #48 by PrintSmith
And how far should society extend this compassion SC? To those with any physical disability? To those perceived not to have ordinary intelligence? To those born with any physical or mental defects? To those who are simply depressed and don't want to go on living? Just how far into the tent do you want this camel's nose allowed?

04 Feb 2015 16:59 #49 by HEARTLESS
Well maybe I had a bad day and am depressed, can I have a fatal cocktail? :sarcasm:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

04 Feb 2015 17:41 #50 by homeagain

PrintSmith wrote: And how far should society extend this compassion SC? To those with any physical disability? To those perceived not to have ordinary intelligence? To those born with any physical or mental defects? To those who are simply depressed and don't want to go on living? Just how far into the tent do you want this camel's nose allowed?

This is a 13 minute video, it is an explanation of MOLST (altho it refers to Mass., Colorado has one
also,ask your physician)

molst-ma.org/consumers/molst-stories

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds