Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

26 Aug 2015 16:46 #111 by ScienceChic
ZHawke, I will concede your point on the use of the term "exactly"; I should've said similarly.

No, we don't have many facts here - why was he forcibly committed? Is the fact that he was forcibly committed better or worse as a reason for removing the guns from the home? What is the storage situation? Could she change the lock code on a safe so he couldn't access them, or is that impossible?

What I was hoping to do was to stimulate a discussion on these various scenarios. At what point does the state cross the line of being proactive in protecting its citizens to being abusive in trampling its citizens' rights in the name of "community safety"? If the people in Holmes' life had alerted authorities, would they have investigated more closely, and caught him before he murdered a dozen people and wounded over 70 more?

On that line of thought, has anyone seen Minority Report? Yes, it's sci-fi and not reality-based at all, but what about the notion of stopping crimes before they begin? False accusations are so easy to start, and much harder to stop; power corrupts and governments tend toward building more and more power over time to the point of abusing their constituents - how do citizens police that or what is acceptable collateral damage in the name of "that's life"?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2015 08:17 #112 by ZHawke
Replied by ZHawke on topic Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People

ScienceChic wrote: ZHawke, I will concede your point on the use of the term "exactly"; I should've said similarly.

SC, sorry if my post was a little confrontational. It certainly wasn't intended to be. I guess I'm getting a little bit testy in my dotage on these types of issues.

ScienceChic wrote: No, we don't have many facts here - why was he forcibly committed? Is the fact that he was forcibly committed better or worse as a reason for removing the guns from the home? What is the storage situation? Could she change the lock code on a safe so he couldn't access them, or is that impossible?

All these questions factor into making decisions in cases like these, and more. They need to be determined on a case by case basis. That's why to simply state the woman should be able to have her guns and suffer the consequences of her actions after the fact, so to speak, doesn't resonate with me. We've pretty much been doing that in the past, and it hasn't worked. Plus, the pro-gun advocates come out of the woodwork in condemnation of the "crazies" almost every single time, after the fact. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

The fact the husband was forcibly committed indicates/implies a mental condition in which he probably should not be around guns, even if he is getting ongoing treatment/therapy, stored or not, in a locked safe or not. I point to my own life experience as just one example of how a very determined individual will figure out how to access a lethal weapon to do what they intend to do (suicide of first wife with a gun).

As a point of speculation here, let's just say this woman actually owns those guns (it wasn't specifically stated that she did.....rather, it was implied from my own interpretation of the story). Plus, because they are husband and wife, unless there's some kind of invisible wall of ownership that would preclude her allowing him access to those guns if they're stored "safely" in a locked gun safe, the argument that she can, or even would, prevent access to those lethal weapons is in question.

If she owns the guns, then one would think that she, as a responsible gun owner (which it could be argued she is not simply by virtue of the fact she wants to put lethal weapons into an environment in which mental illness is present which is, in turn, one of the "red flags" we've all wrung our hands over after one of those people some label as "crazies" commits their mayhem), would want to keep those lethal weapons in a place where the mentally ill person, her husband in this case, absolutely could not get access to them. That would necessarily preclude them from even being in the home we're talking about.

ScienceChic wrote: What I was hoping to do was to stimulate a discussion on these various scenarios. At what point does the state cross the line of being proactive in protecting its citizens to being abusive in trampling its citizens' rights in the name of "community safety"? If the people in Holmes' life had alerted authorities, would they have investigated more closely, and caught him before he murdered a dozen people and wounded over 70 more?

A fine line, to be sure. I'd argue that it all depends on one's own personal views toward "government" in general as to your posit. I won't say the perp's name in the Aurora theater shooting, but I will say that the people in that monster's life are not to blame, just as the people in the Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, and so many others are not to blame. The blame lies solely with, and staunchly on the shoulders of the perps, themselves. I will say, however, that awareness can, and sometimes does, play a significant role in helping prevent these kinds of travesties. The problem is, IMHO, the stigma attached to mental illness. The "if only" questions after the fact are just that if we do nothing to address the stigma associated with this pervasive illness, and they always will be....as we've been seeing time and time again. Perhaps if we, as a society, did not encourage and perpetuate our own misconceptions and perceptions regarding this illness, perhaps if we as individuals chose to learn more about what we could do to help rather than condemn or make fun of people suffering from this malady, perhaps then more people would be willing to come forward actually seeking the help they so badly need. Again, speaking from my own life experience in this area, my first wife was absolutely petrified of what others might think of her if they found out she was suffering from her diagnosed mental illness. Her's was pervasive, her's was insidious, her's was debilitating in the extreme. And yet, no one outside of a very few select family and friends knew of her affliction to the extent she was suffering from it. They knew something was amiss, but they had no idea the extent of her illness. Sorry....rambling here.

ScienceChic wrote: On that line of thought, has anyone seen Minority Report? Yes, it's sci-fi and not reality-based at all, but what about the notion of stopping crimes before they begin? False accusations are so easy to start, and much harder to stop; power corrupts and governments tend toward building more and more power over time to the point of abusing their constituents - how do citizens police that or what is acceptable collateral damage in the name of "that's life"?

Removing the stigma, somehow, that is associated with mental illness in general would go a long way toward answering your questions here, SC. I believe "more guns" isn't the answer. I also believe "more gun control" isn't the answer, either. It's going to take much more than either of those conditions can be reasonably expected to provide.

My two cents.

27 Aug 2015 08:21 #113 by ZHawke
By way of further explanation, there's the story of the most recent travesty (not a mass shooting by definition, but a travesty none the less):

Killer’s ultimate selfie: Roanoke horror becoming the new norm

Evil acts rarely have a single explanation, and this one’s no different. Again, a gun is involved. Again, it’s an angry, unsuccessful man. Again, he sent a rambling manifesto to a news media organization. It was a compendium of grievances: racial discrimination, sexual harassment, bullying by co-workers, family alienation. He expressed admiration for the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters.

"Evil acts rarely have a single explanation". That....that right there, pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned. And unless we're willing to work with that, we're going to be doomed to history repeating itself, especially, as the author of this article implies, as technology keeps making the advances that it is.

27 Aug 2015 09:13 #114 by ZHawke
And one more on "media coverage":

How the media should cover murderers

An interview with Dave Cullen (author of "Columbine") is always interesting for me. This is one time he kind of, sort of "went off" on the media.

27 Aug 2015 11:39 #115 by ZHawke
Here's another OpEd on the complexities associated with these types of travesties:

American exceptionalism and the ‘exceptionally American’ problem of mass shootings

Societal "norms" do appear to be a factor, although some will most certainly argue people like the monster in this most recent shooting should just grow the f**k up, get a life, and accept their lot in that life. Personally, I don't see it that way, but I know some do.

27 Aug 2015 11:59 #116 by ZHawke
WDBJ Shooter Had History of Violent Outbursts

This piece goes to the very heart of our discussion here, IMHO.

An initial check of legal records reveals no criminal history that would have prohibited Flanagan from buying or possessing a gun. A pattern of mental illness would not have disqualified him from purchasing a firearm through a licensed dealer unless he had been involuntarily committed to a mental institution by a judge or “adjudicated as a mental defective.”

And:

Other studies have explored the role of firearms in workplace violence, with the Bureau of Justice Statistics finding that shootings accounted for 80 percent of workplace homicides between 2005 and 2009.

27 Aug 2015 13:19 #117 by Rick

ZHawke wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: ZHawke, I will concede your point on the use of the term "exactly"; I should've said similarly.

SC, sorry if my post was a little confrontational. It certainly wasn't intended to be. I guess I'm getting a little bit testy in my dotage on these types of issues.

ScienceChic wrote: No, we don't have many facts here - why was he forcibly committed? Is the fact that he was forcibly committed better or worse as a reason for removing the guns from the home? What is the storage situation? Could she change the lock code on a safe so he couldn't access them, or is that impossible?

All these questions factor into making decisions in cases like these, and more. They need to be determined on a case by case basis. That's why to simply state the woman should be able to have her guns and suffer the consequences of her actions after the fact, so to speak, doesn't resonate with me. We've pretty much been doing that in the past, and it hasn't worked. Plus, the pro-gun advocates come out of the woodwork in condemnation of the "crazies" almost every single time, after the fact. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

The fact the husband was forcibly committed indicates/implies a mental condition in which he probably should not be around guns, even if he is getting ongoing treatment/therapy, stored or not, in a locked safe or not. I point to my own life experience as just one example of how a very determined individual will figure out how to access a lethal weapon to do what they intend to do (suicide of first wife with a gun).

As a point of speculation here, let's just say this woman actually owns those guns (it wasn't specifically stated that she did.....rather, it was implied from my own interpretation of the story). Plus, because they are husband and wife, unless there's some kind of invisible wall of ownership that would preclude her allowing him access to those guns if they're stored "safely" in a locked gun safe, the argument that she can, or even would, prevent access to those lethal weapons is in question.

If she owns the guns, then one would think that she, as a responsible gun owner (which it could be argued she is not simply by virtue of the fact she wants to put lethal weapons into an environment in which mental illness is present which is, in turn, one of the "red flags" we've all wrung our hands over after one of those people some label as "crazies" commits their mayhem), would want to keep those lethal weapons in a place where the mentally ill person, her husband in this case, absolutely could not get access to them. That would necessarily preclude them from even being in the home we're talking about.

ScienceChic wrote: What I was hoping to do was to stimulate a discussion on these various scenarios. At what point does the state cross the line of being proactive in protecting its citizens to being abusive in trampling its citizens' rights in the name of "community safety"? If the people in Holmes' life had alerted authorities, would they have investigated more closely, and caught him before he murdered a dozen people and wounded over 70 more?

A fine line, to be sure. I'd argue that it all depends on one's own personal views toward "government" in general as to your posit. I won't say the perp's name in the Aurora theater shooting, but I will say that the people in that monster's life are not to blame, just as the people in the Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, and so many others are not to blame. The blame lies solely with, and staunchly on the shoulders of the perps, themselves. I will say, however, that awareness can, and sometimes does, play a significant role in helping prevent these kinds of travesties. The problem is, IMHO, the stigma attached to mental illness. The "if only" questions after the fact are just that if we do nothing to address the stigma associated with this pervasive illness, and they always will be....as we've been seeing time and time again. Perhaps if we, as a society, did not encourage and perpetuate our own misconceptions and perceptions regarding this illness, perhaps if we as individuals chose to learn more about what we could do to help rather than condemn or make fun of people suffering from this malady, perhaps then more people would be willing to come forward actually seeking the help they so badly need. Again, speaking from my own life experience in this area, my first wife was absolutely petrified of what others might think of her if they found out she was suffering from her diagnosed mental illness. Her's was pervasive, her's was insidious, her's was debilitating in the extreme. And yet, no one outside of a very few select family and friends knew of her affliction to the extent she was suffering from it. They knew something was amiss, but they had no idea the extent of her illness. Sorry....rambling here.

ScienceChic wrote: On that line of thought, has anyone seen Minority Report? Yes, it's sci-fi and not reality-based at all, but what about the notion of stopping crimes before they begin? False accusations are so easy to start, and much harder to stop; power corrupts and governments tend toward building more and more power over time to the point of abusing their constituents - how do citizens police that or what is acceptable collateral damage in the name of "that's life"?

Removing the stigma, somehow, that is associated with mental illness in general would go a long way toward answering your questions here, SC. I believe "more guns" isn't the answer. I also believe "more gun control" isn't the answer, either. It's going to take much more than either of those conditions can be reasonably expected to provide.

My two cents.

I think we throw the term "mental illness" around far to easily and frequently. Were the 9/11 terrorists all mentally ill, or were they just really really bad people with no regard for human life? I believe this country has been creating bad people through media images that a certain percentage of people become desensitized to... then add the devolving family structure and we get a group of people who feel justified and have nothing to lose. Yes, there are people who have biological problems in their brains, but for the most part, I just see a society that breeds a lack of respect for human life and now those "chickens are coming home to roost" (to quote another bad guy who happens to be a racist).

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

27 Aug 2015 15:07 #118 by ZHawke

Rick wrote: I think we throw the term "mental illness" around far to easily and frequently. Were the 9/11 terrorists all mentally ill, or were they just really really bad people with no regard for human life? I believe this country has been creating bad people through media images that a certain percentage of people become desensitized to... then add the devolving family structure and we get a group of people who feel justified and have nothing to lose. Yes, there are people who have biological problems in their brains, but for the most part, I just see a society that breeds a lack of respect for human life and now those "chickens are coming home to roost" (to quote another bad guy who happens to be a racist).

Are you including veterans and first responders suffering from PTSD in that group of people having "biological problems in their brains"?

27 Aug 2015 18:44 #119 by ZHawke
A very simple, very straightforward analysis by comedian, Andy Borowitz:

File Attachment:

27 Aug 2015 19:47 #120 by ScienceChic
No worries ZHawke, I didn't take it as confrontational at all. You were correct in correcting me. :)

I don't know why, but this last shooting is affecting more deeply than others that have become "big" in the news. I don't know if it's because the shooter so obviously wanted to cold-bloodedly gain notoriety, because I viewed the news cast video, or in learning more of the history of those so senselessly killed , but I'm starting to feel that I need to get more involved in this problem our society faces.

One thing I do know for sure: I will be choosing to not share anything that will benefit or serve those who do harm to others. Even at the cost of watching competitors do the same and garner those hungry views and clicks.

Before you watch a tragic, graphic news video, ask who wants you to see it, and why
Written by Gideon Lichfield
August 27, 2015

After shooting Alison Parker and Adam Ward dead yesterday morning in Roanoke, Virginia, Vester Flanagan—a.k.a. Bryce Williams—posted a video showing the murder from his vantage point to Facebook and Twitter, and told everyone to look.

But I won’t show you that picture, because last summer, after the Islamic State starting posting beheading videos, I wrote that people shouldn’t share or link to them. In sharing, I said, we were playing into ISIL’s hands, serving its desire for publicity.

Vester Flanagan is like ISIL. He wanted you to see.

“The media”—if that term refers to newspapers, TV stations, and news websites such as Quartz—control less and less of what we see. Today the whole internet is the media—or rather, as befits this bigger entity, the Media—and everyone who uses the internet is a member of the Media.

As members of the Media, every one of us faces ethical dilemmas that employees of the media deal with almost daily.

You may think it doesn’t matter; you’re only circulating it to a few (or a few hundred) of your closest friends. But collectively, our decisions to share or not to share can have more impact than those of the world’s biggest media networks.

We will see more Vester Flanagans. The first-person-shooter—now in both senses of “shooter”—is a new Media form, and new forms attract innovators and copycats. There will be other new forms, too. How long before a murderer mounts a GoPro on his rifle or films his act from multiple angles using drone-cams to give it the full Hollywood treatment?

They know that you, as Media consumer, will click hungrily on any innovation, and as Media member, will spread it to your shocked but fascinated friends.

Ultimately, then, it’s down to your conscience. You are not a helpless witness to violence—you are a member of the Media. Understand that power. What do you want to do with it?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds