American Intelligence and Election Hacking

22 Feb 2018 11:37 #31 by Carrie
I agree that education has to greatly improve for the US to remain competitive in the world, and critical thinking a MUST. But schools, a lot to do with funding restrictions, have to get better at educating. You don't learn logic by doing math with a calculator. Civics, REAL history, not the legends, logic, philosophy, literature should all be taught as basics. Do they even teach proper grammar and sentence construction these days? I can't help but feel our education system has become lax. Proper dress, respect and discipline were all part of education 50-60 years ago and school shootings, child suicides, etc. were almost unheard of. Schools have become half education, half baby sitting when the teachers hands are tied in being able to teach kids consequences of actions, personal responsibility, compassion for those who are different, and instilling a thirst for knowledge to keep them wanting to learn their entire lives. There HAS to be some logic in the lessons. The school that just banned "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Huckleberry Finn" because they contain racial slurs is putting 2018 values on early 20th century culture. Those books should be a STARTING point for discussions on racial issues, cultural changes and a host of other related fields, not banned. That is short sighted and plain ignorant. Children need to be taught the vast range of individuals who have made this world what it is today, both good and bad, and instill in them the desire to make the world a better place. They have unlimited choices in how to do that. There HAS to be an understanding of the differences in people, cultures, histories, religions, etc. to have a broader concept of the world and finding their place in it. You cannot do that by eliminating exposure to things with which you do not agree or of which you do not approve. Understanding differences promotes respect and communication. You do not do it by banning books or failing to teach personal responsibility and that there are rules that one must follow in life to be a successful human being.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blazer Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Feb 2018 11:44 #32 by Carrie
What an incredible program! It teaches responsibility, binds kids to the community, gives them an understanding of, and dedication to, others. It teaches work ethics and compassion. It should be required in all schools. It might even teach parents some things...

22 Feb 2018 12:14 #33 by parkcobound
It is a wonderful program and I wish all schools had something like this, but I think most teachers will say its still not enough. These kids are hurting, and they have no idea how to deal with today's problems. I have a 4 year old grandson who will be entering the school system before long and it terrifies me to think about kids going to school every day, in fear.

13 Mar 2018 14:24 #34 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Mar 2018 14:32 #35 by parkcobound
That's an interesting video. I will say while I'm not on the fence about the Russians trying to influence us - I am freaked out over, now I don't know what to read? I mean, has the news I normally read been hacked? I find myself reading headlines and not actually reading some stories until I see 2-3 mainstream media outlets carrying the same story. However, that tells you nothing. Where did CNN or ABC get their information? did the person they interviewed get their info first hand? Starting to feel like a paranoid unbalanced old lady here :( My daughter in law said I'm obsessed with the news - and really I feel like every day on the news is like watching a slow motion 20 car pile up at the ET on a holiday weekend...

20 Mar 2018 13:11 #36 by ScienceChic
These articles talk about the Trump campaign, but understand that this organization, Cambridge Analytica, has been involved in numerous elections worldwide and this problem is not specific to our past election or one candidate at all. There's no putting all of this data back in the bottle and going back to the "old ways" of campaigning - this is our new normal, like it or not, and we need to figure out how to deal with it or we risk having every election in every country from here on out decided by those who pay for them using our private data that they've unethically gotten hold of and are using to manipulate us all.

Yes, these videos are longer. Watch in parts if need be.
Data, Democracy and Dirty Tricks: #CambridgeAnalyticaUncovered
A five-part exposé into Cambridge Analytica – the British data firm linked to Trump’s win.
March 19, 2018

Part one: The Whistleblower

Part two: Revealed: Trump’s election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians

Part three: Tuesday, March 20, 7pm GMT – on the company’s work in the United States

Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach
Whistleblower describes how firm linked to former Trump adviser Steve Bannon compiled user data to target American voters
Carole Cadwalladr and Emma Graham-Harrison
Sat 17 Mar 2018

The data analytics firm that worked with Donald Trump’s election team and the winning Brexit campaign harvested millions of Facebook profiles of US voters, in one of the tech giant’s biggest ever data breaches, and used them to build a powerful software program to predict and influence choices at the ballot box.

A whistleblower has revealed to the Observer how Cambridge Analytica – a company owned by the hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer, and headed at the time by Trump’s key adviser Steve Bannon – used personal information taken without authorisation in early 2014 to build a system that could profile individual US voters, in order to target them with personalised political advertisements.

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down
How Cambridge Analytica used your Facebook data to help the Donald Trump campaign in the 2016 election.
Hannes Grassegger & Mikael Krogerus
Jan 28 2017

This article was originally published January 28, 2017.

Update: March 17, 2018: Facebook lawyer Paul Grewal announced in a blog post Friday that the company has suspended Strategic Communication Laboratories and its data analytics firm, Cambridge Analytica, from the platform.

According to Facebook, Aleksandr Kogan lied about deleting data that he obtained from a Facebook personality test and improperly passed it to third parties. As we and others have reported, Cambridge Analytica ultimately partnered with the Donald Trump campaign to leverage the data of millions of Facebook users to target them with advertisements and campaign material. The original investigation into Cambridge Analytica, published on Motherboard in January 2017 and in German in Das Magazin in December 2016, follows below.

You'll want to watch this video:
The digital guru who helped Donald Trump to the presidency
By BBC
13 Aug 2017

A key insider from the Trump campaign's digital operation - Theresa Wong - unravels for the first time the role played by social media and Facebook's in getting Trump into the White House.

Jamie Bartlett learns how Facebook's vast power to persuade was first built for advertisers, combining data about our internet use and psychological insights into how we think.

How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions
By Matthew Rosenberg, Nicholas Confessore and Carole Cadwalladr
MARCH 17, 2018

This article is from 2016, we now know that they were targeting those hundreds of thousands of ads using detailed data they'd harvested about you. Knowing exactly how to most effectively influence your opinions and behavior. I share this one because it specifically mentions how many digital ads the Trump campaign was running - the scale was staggeringly massive. We have a social media propaganda problem.
Here's How Facebook Actually Won Trump the Presidency
By Issie Lapowsky

Mark Zuckerberg is trying hard to convince voters that Facebook had no nefarious role in this election. But according to President-elect Donald Trump's digital director Brad Parscale, the social media giant was massively influential...

Coby's team took full advantage of the ability to perform massive tests with its ads. On any given day, Coby says, the campaign was running 40,000 to 50,000 variants of its ads, testing how they performed in different formats, with subtitles and without, and static versus video, among other small differences. On the day of the third presidential debate in October, the team ran 175,000 variations. Coby calls this approach "A/B testing on steroids." The more variations the team was able to produce, Coby says, the higher the likelihood that its ads would actually be served to Facebook users.

Whether fake news did or didn't affect the election's outcome, Facebook as a platform did. The winning candidate was not just willing, but eager to break with traditional models of campaigning. His team invested in new ways of using the digital tools and platforms that have come to dominate the media landscape. Anyone who wants to defeat him in the future will have to do the same.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

21 Mar 2018 07:29 #37 by FredHayek

parkcobound wrote: It is a wonderful program and I wish all schools had something like this, but I think most teachers will say its still not enough. These kids are hurting, and they have no idea how to deal with today's problems. I have a 4 year old grandson who will be entering the school system before long and it terrifies me to think about kids going to school every day, in fear.

Kids have always gone to school in fear, if it isn't bullies, it is atomic weapons, remember Duck and Cover? There will always be something.

Back on topic, this Facebook scandal is quite interesting. The Obama campaign was helped out by Facebook employees to better target their voters. Then it appears the Trump campaign used Facebook data for this last election. I would have to think Team Hillary would also be using this database if they are smart.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Mar 2018 08:04 - 21 Mar 2018 08:06 #38 by driver8

FredHayek wrote:

parkcobound wrote: It is a wonderful program and I wish all schools had something like this, but I think most teachers will say its still not enough. These kids are hurting, and they have no idea how to deal with today's problems. I have a 4 year old grandson who will be entering the school system before long and it terrifies me to think about kids going to school every day, in fear.

Kids have always gone to school in fear, if it isn't bullies, it is atomic weapons, remember Duck and Cover? There will always be something.

Back on topic, this Facebook scandal is quite interesting. The Obama campaign was helped out by Facebook employees to better target their voters. Then it appears the Trump campaign used Facebook data for this last election. I would have to think Team Hillary would also be using this database if they are smart.

Did Obama use a company with deep ties to russia?
Did Obama's campaign manager run the company when the FB user data was breached by the company he was part owner in and in charge of the data operations when the breach ocured?

www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/cam...o-russian-university

That whatbouism you wear like a 2nd skin is thin and does not hold up well fred. The right has been so programmed at this point that any of the russian news that comes is totally ignored by the right. It's as if you guys actually like and support putin. It's as if you guys see that same authoritarianism in you dear leader. Have you watched ANY of those Channel4 video's of Alexander Nix and Cambridge Analytics?

Yes, there have been 'data operations' in the past. But this goes well beyond any previous legitimate operation and delves much deeper into the dark underbelly of a russian run operation.

21 Mar 2018 19:23 - 21 Mar 2018 19:26 #39 by parkcobound
Hope that link works. I see potential problems with returning to a paper ballot system, but that may be the only solution. Just like identity thrives always seem to find a way around security... I suspect anyone trying to meddle with our election would too. I seriously have a feeling they they really aren't interested in changing the results as much as creating doubt in our minds and distrust of our democracy.

21 Mar 2018 19:28 #40 by parkcobound

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds