DECLARATON of natl. emergency is dead in the water (legally)

11 Feb 2019 13:20 #11 by homeagain
www.npr.org/2019/02/11/693128901/if-trum...ngress-can-block-him

WELL NOW...….just maybe the king is going to be check mated??? AGAIN, another mention
of imperial presidency...….from the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2019 15:31 #12 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/0...al-emergency/580105/
long, but worth the information provided......in essence Trump probably would NOT win this battle....he has proven to be a inefficent in his ability to present FACTUAL platforms and the court
would tend to view his previous credibility gaps as reason to DENY accepting the case.

I don't know if you can trust The Atlantic. A couple of years ago they told me ISIS would be empowered by get tough strategies from Trump and Obama that would drive up recruitments. It sure doesn't look that way now. ISIS is holding onto just one percent of their original territory. They look effectively dead. Meanwhile Al Qaida and the Taliban have been getting stronger.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Feb 2019 11:27 #13 by homeagain
The legal battle will be long and laborious and I don't think he is patient enough for the outcome.....however the other plan is NOT going to obtain instant results either....$$$$ are NOT going to appear magically before your very eyes....jmo

14 Feb 2019 13:48 #14 by homeagain
AS EXPECTED.....he is declaring a national emer. showdown at the OK CORRAL....landowners, court battles coming to the king, l-o-n-g "end run" from the king WILL
be challenged by congress, and Pelosi WILL prevail....OVERSIGHT is on the agenda.

14 Feb 2019 17:08 #15 by ScienceChic
I never thought I'd see the day when a Republican president was all for abusing the power of his office and over-riding the Constitution. Most likely it'll be immediately challenged in court and won't go anywhere, but that this is even an actual topic of conversation is ridiculous. I wouldn't even want a Democratic president to have this ability - can you imagine how far down the rabbit hole this could go? If not, read through Rick Wilson's Twitter thread and get some ideas.

'Dangerous.' 'Abuse.' 'Lawless': Bipartisan attack on Trump national emergency declaration
The White House said the president was considering the step "to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border."
By Dartunorro Clark
Feb. 14, 2019

Lawmakers in both parties sharply criticized President Donald Trump on Thursday for planning to declare a national emergency to build his long-promised border wall.

"Declaring a national emergency would be a lawless act, a gross abuse of the power of the presidency and a desperate attempt to distract from the fact that President Trump broke his core promise to have Mexico pay for his wall," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a joint statement.

"I do not support this decision because declaring a national emergency sets a very dangerous precedent that undermines our constitutional separation of powers. By circumventing Congress and Article I of the Constitution, President Trump is opening the door for any future president to act alone without Congressional approval," Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wa., said in a statement.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Feb 2019 17:17 #16 by Blazer Bob
Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years

abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national...rs/story?id=60294693

Show of hands, who knew this?

14 Feb 2019 20:27 #17 by homeagain

Blazer Bob wrote: Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years

abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national...rs/story?id=60294693

Show of hands, who knew this?

Meet the Press brought it up briefly.....but did not indicate the numbers.

15 Feb 2019 09:04 #18 by parkcobound
yes some of them have been publicized, just not in the way the border wall has been, but what I do not know about any of the prior declarations are the dollar figure attached to them. I am not against border security. I am against spending 6 billion dollars on a wall that will not fix the problem of drugs coming into this country, not will it solve the issue with criminals coming into this country. Someone told me yesterday, "you have to start somewhere" but just don't think walls are the solution. And I firmly believe that Trump knows this will not fix the problem - he promised it to his constituents and realistically... he would really like to have a tribute built to himself. I'm not being petty here - we all know he really likes to build big shiny things and put his name on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain

15 Feb 2019 09:15 - 15 Feb 2019 09:18 #19 by Blazer Bob

parkcobound wrote: And I firmly believe that Trump knows this will not fix the problem -.

What leads you to believe that?

edit: Am listening now and he is addressing other necessary changes in addition to a wall.

15 Feb 2019 09:35 #20 by FredHayek
I am reading some sources that say previous presidents have used these declarations to move money around in the budget so this isn't as groundbreaking as the press wants to make it. If the courts do slap this down, it might establish a bad precedent that a future POTUS would be hamstrung. For example, a Ebola attack breaks out in Portland, Oregon. President Booker moves money from the Education budget to the CDC budget to combat the disease. The courts might not allow this. He might have to waste valuable time getting a pork laden bill through the House and Senate.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds