Colorado lawmakers reintroducing 'red flag' gun bill

29 Mar 2019 12:02 #11 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: Hopefully they let the public read the whole bill before voting on it. While it sounds like a good idea, the devil will be in the details.

AS IN EVERTHING.....the devil is in the details.....I advocate for the right to protect you and yours,my husband conceal carries....that is the nature of our society unfortunately. HOWEVER, better methods must be implemented to ensure that mentally unstable individuals are unable to obtain firearms.....BUMP STOCKS are something the founding fathers NEVER
envisioned, HOW do you construct a law that allows for the 2nd amendment,BUT does not
"prostitute" the law???? I have pondered this problem for a very long time....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2019 08:42 #12 by ramage
If Polis signs the EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDERS bill, HB 19-1177, known as the "Red Flag" bill and it appears that he will, what will the Park County Sheriff do, if ordered by a judge to seize your firearms?

02 Apr 2019 10:27 #13 by homeagain

ramage wrote: Lots of questions and "what ifs" associated with this bill. Visit "rallyforourrights.com" For extensive coverage.
On that site is a listing of the counties that will be 2nd Amendment sanctuaries; Park County is one.

[/b]
THIS seems incongruous.....given the FUBAR that happened under Fred, and past Parkco
problems......the individual in the FUBAR was well know as an extremist/danger....JMO
l

02 Apr 2019 11:04 #14 by ramage
HA,
What is THIS?

02 Apr 2019 12:29 #15 by ScienceChic
I believe Homeagain is referring to Cpl Nate Carrigan's death at the hands of a man who was a known danger/threat to our Park County Sheriffs Office when they attempted to evict him from his foreclosed home. Whether they had gone to his home to evict him, or to simply remove his weapons, he would've fired upon them because he had made the statement that he would have a shoot out if they ever came for him (which he knew they would because he was in default on his home).

I worried about this very scenario when this bill came up; however, I think it's better than doing nothing like we are now. What tipped me over into supporting it was Deputy Parrish's sheriff being strongly in support of this bill and the domestic violence statistics.

We all agree that mentally ill people and people with a criminal record/history of violent or abusive behavior should not have guns, but there's no process in place to properly screen gun buyers before they purchase them unlike in other countries, plus mental illness can develop after purchase. This bill gives those who would suffer most at the hands of their attackers a method by which to make themselves and the community safer, while still offering the accused recourse.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Apr 2019 12:37 #16 by FredHayek

ScienceChic wrote: I believe Homeagain is referring to Cpl Nate Carrigan's death at the hands of a man who was a known danger/threat to our Park County Sheriffs Office when they attempted to evict him from his foreclosed home. Whether they had gone to his home to evict him, or to simply remove his weapons, he would've fired upon them because he had made the statement that he would have a shoot out if they ever came for him (which he knew they would because he was in default on his home).

I worried about this very scenario when this bill came up; however, I think it's better than doing nothing like we are now. What tipped me over into supporting it was Deputy Parrish's sheriff being strongly in support of this bill and the domestic violence statistics.

We all agree that mentally ill people and people with a criminal record/history of violent or abusive behavior should not have guns, but there's no process in place to properly screen gun buyers before they purchase them unlike in other countries, plus mental illness can develop after purchase. This bill gives those who would suffer most at the hands of their attackers a method by which to make themselves and the community safer, while still offering the accused recourse.

It is all fine and good to advocate for this bill but you aren't the officers who have to go in and take the guns from someone who might be falsely accused by a former spouse or domestic partner. Happened to a guy at work. He had dumped a girl, she filed false charges of domestic violence. He didn't have the money to hire a lawyer to defend the charges so his future gun rights were taken away.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2019 16:40 #17 by ramage
If as you suggest, SC, that Homeagain is referring to the shooting death of Nate Carrigan, then it begs the question: will the Park County Sheriff's Department come in full S.W.A.T. regalia to serve a no-knock "civil" warrant to take away the guns of someone who has been accused?
A question that can only be answered by that Department. This bill, not yet law, is fraught with potential danger to civilians and law enforcement.
In other threads, Democrat candidates are discussed with pros and cons of each. Please know that to a man/woman they all support doing this on a federal level.

02 Apr 2019 18:15 #18 by homeagain

ramage wrote: If as you suggest, SC, that Homeagain is referring to the shooting death of Nate Carrigan, then it begs the question: will the Park County Sheriff's Department come in full S.W.A.T. regalia to serve a no-knock "civil" warrant to take away the guns of someone who has been accused?
A question that can only be answered by that Department. This bill, not yet law, is fraught with potential danger to civilians and law enforcement.
In other threads, Democrat candidates are discussed with pros and cons of each. Please know that to a man/woman they all support doing this on a federal level.

YES, SC was posting my intent......please explain your last paragraph, I do not know your intent.

02 Apr 2019 20:54 #19 by ramage
Happy to explain, Homeagain,
"In other threads, Democrat candidates are discussed with pros and cons of each. Please know that to a man/woman they all support doing this on a federal level."

In the thread, 2020 Presidential Candidates, Democrat candidates are discussed with regard to the positions that they support/oppose., I pointed out that ALL (now you got me doing it) Democrat candidates support gun control as seen in the Red Flag bill here in Colorado. I will not bore you with the many references to document such; they are readily available on their respective websites and/or on the web.

03 Apr 2019 05:34 #20 by Pony Soldier
This bill makes me wonder just how many times the phrase "Cold dead hands" will arise. How many citizens and law enforcement will be slaughtered?

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds