Abortion Red/Blue Divisions

15 May 2019 07:55 #1 by FredHayek
After New York and other states celebrated abortions up until the last minute of pregnancy, Red states are fighting back with heartbeat laws and straight anti-abortion bills passed in Alabama. Will the Supreme Court permit states to keep such diverse laws on the books or will the Feds create a new national standard compromise that will piss off both sides?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 May 2019 08:12 #2 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic Abortion Red/Blue Divisions

FredHayek wrote: After New York and other states celebrated abortions up until the last minute of pregnancy,

That is a lie.

www.factcheck.org/2019/02/addressing-new...ks-new-abortion-law/
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain

15 May 2019 09:39 #3 by homeagain
SORRY, the SCOTUS will strike this down (for now)…...but make NO mistakes, it's coming in 3 or 4 years.....the slow destruction of SETTLED law will be challenged severely...glad I'm not of child bearing age....or have children who are.... (those teens and young adult women will be
gob smacked and reeling from the religious right who will be on their soapbox and screwing with a decision that we mightily fight for).

15 May 2019 12:36 #4 by FredHayek

Brandon wrote:

FredHayek wrote: After New York and other states celebrated abortions up until the last minute of pregnancy,

That is a lie.

www.factcheck.org/2019/02/addressing-new...ks-new-abortion-law/

Rephrase. New York was celebrating that they made abortions less restrictive. Would you agree with that? They lit up their skyscrapers after it was signed into law.

15 May 2019 12:39 #5 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: SORRY, the SCOTUS will strike this down (for now)…...but make NO mistakes, it's coming in 3 or 4 years.....the slow destruction of SETTLED law will be challenged severely...glad I'm not of child bearing age....or have children who are.... (those teens and young adult women will be
gob smacked and reeling from the religious right who will be on their soapbox and screwing with a decision that we mightily fight for).

You really think Roe V. Wade is on the death block? I believe the Supreme Court will not overturn it, but they may let states have more control over restricting abortion rights. 3-4 years would imply that Trump or another Republican will still be in the White House appointing new Supreme Court justices. Polls would seem to support that Biden will be our next POTUS.

15 May 2019 13:52 #6 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote:

homeagain wrote: SORRY, the SCOTUS will strike this down (for now)…...but make NO mistakes, it's coming in 3 or 4 years.....the slow destruction of SETTLED law will be challenged severely...glad I'm not of child bearing age....or have children who are.... (those teens and young adult women will be

You really think Roe V. Wade is on the death block? I believe the Supreme Court will not overturn it, but they may let states have more control over restricting abortion rights. 3-4 years would imply that Trump or another Republican will still be in the White House appointing new Supreme Court justices. Polls would seem to support that Biden will be our next POTUS.

[/b]

1st bolded...that is what it will probably look like, AGAIN the heavy religious states will move
forward in a very restrictive manner.....born again, extreme right religious areas.

2nd bolded NO, I think another D will take the position of POTUS....Biden,altho seasoned, is too old.

15 May 2019 14:39 #7 by Pony Soldier
Trump is the odds on favorite to win 2020 and maybe 2024!

16 May 2019 00:23 #8 by ScienceChic
I do hope you are referring to one of the Trump kids running in 2024 and not DJT, because that would be a violation of the Constitution.

So I have a question: why, with all of these laws being passed to restrict abortion, do they not carry any punishment or hardship for the men involved in the impregnations? You cannot create a fetus with a female only, and yet only females are targeted (or doctors, who are performing a legal medical procedure). If women are forced to undergo an ultrasound and counseling before the procedure will be performed, why aren't their partners forced to watch as well, or undergo mandatory counseling and sex education classes? Hmmm...

And why is this? Isn't this the same thing? These are viable embryos being destroyed, the only difference being that they are outside the woman's body and not inside, having been created without sexual intercourse involved.
Fertility clinics destroy embryos all the time. Why aren’t conservatives after them?
By Margo Kaplan, associate professor at Rutgers Law School | August 14, 2015

Last month, my husband and I signed forms donating an embryo we had conceived to medical research.

The disparity between how the law treats abortion patients and IVF patients reveals an ugly truth about abortion restrictions: that they are often less about protecting life than about controlling women’s bodies. Both IVF and abortion involve the destruction of fertilized eggs that could potentially develop into people. But only abortion concerns women who have had sex that they don’t want to lead to childbirth.

If anti-choice lawmakers cared as much about protecting life as they did about women having sex, they could promote laws that prevent unwanted pregnancy.

The law’s conflicting treatment of the two procedures is no coincidence: Anti-choice organizations have avoided targeting IVF even as they’ve sought radical restrictions on abortion access. Conservatives focus on legislation that facilitates embryo donation to other couples, rather than laws that limit the choices of IVF patients; they even take pains to deemphasize the impact of proposed “personhood amendments” on IVF. This distinction cannot be based on principle — if life begins at conception, then anti-choice groups have every reason to put the estimated 400,000 to 1 million frozen embryos in the United States at the forefront of their efforts.

Yes, I wholeheartedly believe this is an attempt to overturn Roe vs Wade; I don't know if you've been paying attention but Congress has been stacking courts with conservative judges (it's about the only thing the Senate has been doing lately) and Kavanaugh being appointed to the SC has caused a flurry of legislation in hopes of a re-visit:
‘The Time Is Now’: States Are Rushing to Restrict Abortion, or to Protect It
By Sabrina Tavernise | May 15, 2019

States across the country are passing some of the most restrictive abortion legislation in decades, deepening the growing divide between liberal and conservative states and setting up momentous court battles that could profoundly reshape abortion access in America.

“There’s only one way to get a case before the U.S. Supreme Court — someone has to sue us, and that happened today,” said Michael Gonidakis, the president of Ohio Right to Life in Columbus.

He pointed out that Mr. Trump has appointed several judges to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, often a crucial final stop before the Supreme Court. “We are very encouraged that we are going to have great success,” Mr. Gonidakis said.

B. Jessie Hill, a lawyer who helped file a legal challenge to Ohio’s law on behalf of the American Civil Liberties Union on Wednesday, said, “I genuinely think that the future of Roe is the most precarious it has ever been since 1973.”

The fact is, we could significantly reduce the number of abortions without having to pass legislation or punishing women seeking them or doctors providing them. Improve sex education in schools, insist men to keep their ejaculates to themselves, and, more importantly, make birth control and the morning after pill readily accessible and affordable. The data has proven that this is effective, so why isn't that the effort being made? Why are these new restrictive laws being passed and Planned Parenthood's funding constantly under attack by conservatives when the vast majority of their services are for healthcare and birth control, and they could be formidable partners in this effort?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 May 2019 05:59 #9 by Pony Soldier
Of course I was echoing Trump's joke on the matter of 2024. We all know only democrats get to stay in office longer than two terms...<cough> FDR <cough>. As to IVF, I didn't realize it had become an industry like that. Those embryos should be made? Built? not sure what the right word is, only on an as needed basis. One thing I couldn't find in trying to research when these embryos are destroyed was when. Do they have a heartbeat? If so, they should be governed by these laws as that is the one thing that all of the laws had in common. I am pro life to the core, but agree with you that other means should be used to decrease abortions. Laws should be the last thing tried.

16 May 2019 06:54 #10 by FredHayek
I do worry the GOP in these very Red states are hurting their chances to win in purple states with these bold policy changes. But maybe voters will realize abortions are down anyway, sex rates are declining, Plan B is out there, and free/low cost birth control is common. Abortion today is a very different animal than it was in the 1970's.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds