First Amendment Under Attack

23 Feb 2021 05:13 #1 by Pony Soldier
This regime is lining up to be the one that destroys the Constitution. Our entire Bill of Rights is under attack, but lets start with the First Amendment.

As most of you already realize, the Bill of Rights is not actually a list of rights, but actually a list of limits on government. It was written that way on purpose in order to convey that any right not specified was granted to the states and individual by god and that the government had no power to infringe.

The First Amendment was written to limit the power of government to control free speech. It did not grant the right of free speech as it was listed as a right given by a higher authority than government. As such, this first citation isn't technically a First Amendment violation, but it does call into question, with the Presidency granting itself legislation rights via Executive Orders, the roles of the Chief Executive:

www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavir...-house-idCNL1N2KP00E

The White House has been reaching out to social media companies including Facebook , Twitter and Alphabet Inc’s Google about clamping down on COVID misinformation and getting their help to stop it from going viral, a senior administration official said.

This would not be concerning in and of itself - if it existed in a vacuum - but it comes on the heels of statements like this:

www.foxnews.com/media/aoc-media-literacy...mission-capitol-riot

"I can say, there is absolutely a commission being discussed but it seems to be more investigatory, in style rather than truth and reconciliation, so I think that’s an interesting concept for us to explore, and I do think that several members of Congress, in some of my discussions, have brought up media literacy because that is a part of what happened here and we’re going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can’t just spew disinformation and misinformation," Ocasio-Cortez said.

Just a crazy lady, right? She's just ignorant and won't be able to do anything of the sort, right?

At the same time that she made this statement, Jack Dorsey of Twitter made this one:

apnews.com/article/jack-dorsey-twitter-d...0cfb89c1fd1132a525d8

This article glosses over what he actually said. He called for a standard that all social media has to follow to be "platformed". This standard would be set by a commission - one that he has already started and staffed. They would be the arbiters of what is truth....

Now comes this:

beta.documentcloud.org/documents/2049008...isinfo-letters-22221

It's getting close. Can you feel it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2021 06:30 #2 by homeagain
s such, this first citation isn't technically a First Amendment violation, but it does call into question, with the Presidency granting itself legislation rights via Executive Orders, the roles of the Chief Executive:

WHY WASN'T THIS A PROBLEM when Trump was rolling out E.O. like a conveyor belt full burgers?

Wasn't one used for the big beautiful wall and the DEFENSE $$$ was diverted....(I could be wrong?))

23 Feb 2021 07:23 #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic First Amendment Under Attack
If twenty years ago someone told me this is what was going to be happening, I would have thought we were being taken over by China...

Oh, wait...

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

23 Feb 2021 09:13 #4 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote: s such, this first citation isn't technically a First Amendment violation, but it does call into question, with the Presidency granting itself legislation rights via Executive Orders, the roles of the Chief Executive:

WHY WASN'T THIS A PROBLEM when Trump was rolling out E.O. like a conveyor belt full burgers?

Wasn't one used for the big beautiful wall and the DEFENSE $$$ was diverted....(I could be wrong?))

Are you serious? You are going to compare a theft of first amendment rights to re-allocation of funds???? You need to get your priorities straight.

23 Feb 2021 11:05 #5 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote:

homeagain wrote: s such, this first citation isn't technically a First Amendment violation, but it does call into question, with the Presidency granting itself legislation rights via Executive Orders, the roles of the Chief Executive:

Are you serious? You are going to compare a theft of first amendment rights to re-allocation of funds???? You need to get your priorities straight.

the bolded does EXACTLY THAT from my interpretation.

25 Feb 2021 07:57 - 25 Feb 2021 16:01 #6 by Pony Soldier
nationalinterest.org/blog/techland/lette...en-cable-news-178674 ..

Reps. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) and Jerry McNerney (D-Calif.) on Monday wrote letters to twelve of the largest cable, satellite and technology companies which, per a press release from the two of them, is “urging them to combat the spread of misinformation and requesting more information about their actions to address misinformation, disinformation, conspiracy theories, and lies spread through channels they host.”

“We are concerned about the role AT&T plays in disseminating misinformation to millions of its U-verse, DirecTV, and AT&T TV subscribers, and we write to you today to request additional information about what actions AT&T is taking to address these issues,” the version of the letter sent to AT&T CEO John Stankey said. “Right-wing media outlets, like Newsmax, One America News Network (OANN), and Fox News all aired misinformation about the November 2020 elections,” the letter continued, referring specifically to conspiracy theories about both the election and the coronavirus pandemic.

This is in direct violation of the First Amendment. There is no longer any question. The democrats are out to turn our country into an authoritarian regime. While I know this will be ignored **** by the left, apparently because they agree with this power grab, I would be interested if ANYONE ** *** **** can defend this.

25 Feb 2021 08:28 #7 by homeagain
I believe the CONCENTRATION of our attention should be directed towards CYBER ATTACKS,we are
woefully negligent in that specific area. SOLARWINDS did damage we have yet to discover....it was vast
in it;s reach....VERY effective and has put our ENTIRE nation in jeopardy. When the codes can be inserted
UNDETECTED and our entire infrastructure (energy,water,sewer,chain dist.)can VANISH with a keystroke....
we have a problem,Huston.

25 Feb 2021 08:40 #8 by Pony Soldier
And... back to the topic at hand. Does anyone have any kind of argument for this direct violation of our free speech rights?

25 Feb 2021 08:43 #9 by FredHayek
I am really worried about these clampdowns. There is no absolute truth. Two months ago, we were told that the Pfizer vaccine needed to be stored at ultra low temps and you needed two doses in three weeks. That appears to ne in debate now. But if the Biden Team had their way, there would not be allowed discussion on this.
I think this is really an attempt to muzzle many platforms before the 2022 elections.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Feb 2021 09:01 #10 by homeagain
SO, what's new? EVERYONE is jockeying for the first position. The "GATES" just sprang open and we
are off to the races.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds