Bad Idea Creates Slow Recovery

07 May 2021 06:54 #1 by Rick
So it's a very big surprise to the left that the unemployment rate just ticked up from 6% to 6.1%. The geniuses expected a million new jobs last month but only 266k actually went back to work. If you made 32k or less a year before the pandemic, you're making more to stay home now. Small businesses are begging people to apply and are going to be in big trouble when the brain dead governors finally ALLOW everybody to open fully.

I have a lot of friends in the restaurant business and they are struggling the most to get people back . Unfortunately they will have to wait until September when the busy season is ending. IF this idiot government decides to stop incentivizing people to stay on their couches, maybe they'll finally get more people interested in coming back to work. Unfortunately, it may be too late for many business owners that just couldn't hang on that long.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2021 08:48 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Restaurants are notorious for low paying positions.

That they can't fill those positions says more about their pay scale than it does about people wanting to work.

07 May 2021 09:34 #3 by homeagain
Besides pay scale, TIPS are the top reason also...the waitpersons MAIN wage R tips,set aside the rude and
obnoxious customer who believes waitstaff R peons.....I KNOWN customers R still tipping 10-15 percent,
after ALL THESE YEARS. (I have asked and was really stunned)...I have ALWAYS tipped 20 percent and
last year asked if that enough...that is when I discovered the deficit. I have ALWAYS thanked my wait person
verbally and monetarily. IF they R REALLY GOOD,I speak to the manager and give them accolades.

When we lived in Conyers,Geo for several years,we generally went to three or four restaurants (I am a non meat eater). One, close to us, had a SUPERB waitperson. Her section was always full,but she would
stop by for a short while, an chat....I asked how she remembered the people and their orders and how she
could do the HARD job....she said I pretend I am an actor and my role in this movie/play is waitress. She
said she usually CLEARS $50,000 annually...because she is THAT good at her job.

07 May 2021 12:17 #4 by Blazer Bob

Wayne Harrison wrote: Restaurants are notorious for low paying positions.

That they can't fill those positions says more about their pay scale than it does about people wanting to work.

You are talking about a livable minimum wage. That is a different topic.

This is about the bad ideas that creates slow recovery's.

The quote below is antidotal but wide spread.

"Sad to say, that is true. None of my subcontractors can find anyone to hire, and people are honest in saying that they can claim big unemployment checks while working for cash, or while running their own cash business.

I spoke with the owner of a small market near me, he says most everyone that schedules job interview never shows up, they just needed to make the appointment for their unemployment paperwork."

www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsgs.aspx?su...ze=50&batchtype=Next

07 May 2021 12:40 #5 by homeagain

07 May 2021 13:30 - 07 May 2021 13:31 #6 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote: ACTUALLY, IT IS SKILL GAP.....

hiring.monster.com/employer-resources/bl...f-work-2021-summary/

Well lets see. If the Montana policy works it will prove that the problem is not a SKILL GAP.

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-gov...er-shortage-n1266346

Do you agree?

07 May 2021 14:44 - 09 May 2021 18:32 #7 by homeagain
wtop.com/national/2021/05/montana-ends-u...mid-worker-shortage/

BOLDED.....winters heating bills will ERASE any ability to survive on the minuscule amount....THAT
appears to be a real problem....LESS THAN 350 A WEEK!

07 May 2021 17:26 #8 by Blazer Bob
Is there something in your post that addresses my question? If in Montana unemployment goes down, would you agree that the problem is not lack of skills?

07 May 2021 18:58 #9 by ramage
"
Billy McWilliams, owner of an adult sex store in Bozeman, said he has seen employees leave over the rising cost of living. The policy change “is not addressing the real problems we're facing,” he said.

In towns like Bozeman, where costs of housing have skyrocketed during the pandemic, workers “are not getting jobs because these jobs don't pay enough to pay their bills,” McWilliams said."

Where to start?
It would be helpful to know how many employees Mr McWilliams has in his adult sex store. Evidently he is not paying them enough to pay their bills, perhaps he could reward them with product much like a waiter/ess and his /her tips in addition to salary.
What is the size of the adult sex store industry? Concomitantly, its effect on the unemployment percentage in the USA.
Do employees get maternity/paternity leave? This could be another reason for his inability to retain employees.
Why has the cost of housing skyrocketed for adult sex store employees in Bozeman? Could it be that they are moonlighting at their residence?
So many questions, will await answers from the reporter.

07 May 2021 19:58 #10 by FredHayek
High unemployment and high inflation? Biden is the new Carter. Stagflation returns!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds