The CDC is a JOKE

12 May 2021 08:09 #1 by Rick
The CDC is a JOKE was created by Rick

These recommendations would be more grounded in science if anywhere close to 10 percent of Covid transmission were occurring outdoors. But it is not. There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

Today’s newsletter will be a bit longer than usual, so I can explain how the C.D.C. ended up promoting a misleading number.[/b]
www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outd...sion-cdc-number.html

I heard about this on the Gutfeld show, one of the only political shows out there that is actually funny. If you don't like Gutfeld because you watched it once or twice or one of your sources said it sucked, do me a favor and show me the lies... The monologue addresses the topic but there's a lot more good stuff he makes fun of in a factual way.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 May 2021 08:28 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic The CDC is a JOKE
It wasn't just the CDC,it was WHO and pretty much most of the medical community....the timeline,when
U look at it,was reflective of LACK of communication and recognition.

12 May 2021 14:49 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic The CDC is a JOKE
While it is a much lower incidence rate, it is not zero. I disagree that the CDC is a joke, but it does need a thorough review and changes to policy to fix issues (particularly political interference), as does many institutions. The WHO has a massive problem in kowtowing to China and that sh*t needs to stop. The science is solid, it provides good health recommendations and policy, but the political influence needs to be addressed upfront and honestly.

Outdoor Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and Other Respiratory Viruses: A Systematic Review
Tommaso Celeste Bulfone, Mohsen Malekinejad, George W Rutherford, Nooshin Razani
The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 223, Issue 4, 15 February 2021, Pages 550–561, doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiaa742
Published: 29 November 2020

Results
Five identified studies found a low proportion of reported global SARS-CoV-2 infections occurred outdoors (<10%) and the odds of indoor transmission was very high compared to outdoors (18.7 times; 95% confidence interval, 6.0–57.9). Five studies described influenza transmission outdoors and 2 adenovirus transmission outdoors. There was high heterogeneity in study quality and individual definitions of outdoor settings, which limited our ability to draw conclusions about outdoor transmission risks. In general, factors such as duration and frequency of personal contact, lack of personal protective equipment, and occasional indoor gathering during a largely outdoor experience were associated with outdoor reports of infection.

Every disaster starts with much confusion, attempts to gather information and make the best decisions based on what's known at the time which often are changed as more information is gathered. What's important is that the truth is always sought and ethical policy made that is in the best interests of the public to reduce risk and save lives. This pandemic started in a country known for hiding information, lying to the outside world, and it hampered our ability to quickly and decisively act with the right knowledge. They need to be held accountable. Our infrastructure, institutions, and leaders tried their best but certainly could've done better on many counts. What matters now is that we prepare for the next disaster because this one showed that we are woefully ill-equipped to efficiently and effectively respond.

Fauci to Internists: A Lot of 'Oops' in Early Days of Pandemic
— NIAID's director talks COVID PTSD, prepping for the next pandemic, and fighting anti-science
by Cheryl Clark, Contributing Writer, MedPage Today April 30, 2021

Asked what the nation should have or could have done differently during the early days of the pandemic -- or even before the pandemic -- to avert such a severe crisis, Fauci was blunt.

Before the outbreak itself, over recent decades this country -- probably a victim of its own success with childhood vaccinations -- "let the local public health infrastructure undergo a degree of attrition, which is really unfortunate," he said. Relaxed emphasis on funding for disease surveillance and testing impaired the ability to identify, isolate, and contact trace to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission during the early months of 2020.

There was a "misstep," he acknowledged, from the CDC, which was unable to mobilize the private sector to accomplish mass production of diagnostic testing for COVID-19. "That was more than just an isolated outbreak of food poisoning or an isolated outbreak of a cluster of sexually transmitted diseases. This was a massive countrywide outbreak that needed a lot more diagnostics than we actually had."

Knowledge evolved and policies changed, but during the early months, there were a lot of "oops" as scientists realized that they had the wrong assumptions, Fauci said.

"Things were changing so rapidly," he noted, and there was "a considerable lack of transparency early on the part of China."

I'm with @JoshRogin on this:
May 11, 2021

Rand Paul and Fauci are arguing over whether the bat coronavirus research in Wuhan was "gain of function" according to the NIH definition. That's somewhat besides the point of whether the research is risky or not (it is).

Fauci: “I do not have any accounting of what the Chinese may have done and I am fully in favor of any further investigation of what went on in China.” Wow.

Fauci: "The NIH and NIAID categorically has not funded gain of function research to be conducted in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.” Paul points out that many scientists argue the research was gain-of-function even if the NIH didn't define it as such.

.@PeterHotez says on CNN there's "no evidence" for a lab accident theory (which isn't true) and then says it doesn't matter anyway (which is crazy). @KateBolduan Rand is asking legitimate questions and Fauci is responding in a lawyerly fashion.

Fauci says he supports any and all investigations in China but he hasn't said he supports investigation the relationships between the Wuhan labs and US organizations like NIH and NIAID. But those investigations have already begun: t.co/2bYuyLC9vF?amp=1

The narrow question of whether NIH funded "gain of function" research in Wuhan is just one piece of the puzzle. As the NIH just admitted, we don't know what else these Wuhan labs were doing.

This Rand Paul/Fauci exchange shows two things: 1) Fauci is still resisting any legitimate examination of NIH and NIAID relationships with the Wuhan labs. 2) This issue getting politicized even more, which is a tragedy, so both parties must come together to press for answers. END

I am happy to see an inquiry being opened by Congress into COVID, and it absolutely should include a review of the NIAID's role. Let the light shine transparently on everything.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 May 2021 15:10 #4 by homeagain
LAURIE GARRETT called it a very long time ago...no one was interested. The Coming Plague was first,then

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1120853/

14 May 2021 06:34 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic The CDC is a JOKE
Are you two ok with the teachers unions influencing the CDC?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 May 2021 06:57 #6 by homeagain
IT's a double edge sword....it is imperative that education (or the attempt of) find a sense of normalcy. It
is also a factor in woman/men going back to work...child care is a HUGE problem and parents R not "teachers". The paradigm has required that parents become the teachers and THAT has been difficult
to navigate.

In the end, it should be left up to the parent...zoom classes or in person schooling. A CHOICE.

14 May 2021 07:47 #7 by Rick

homeagain wrote: IT's a double edge sword....it is imperative that education (or the attempt of) find a sense of normalcy. It
is also a factor in woman/men going back to work...child care is a HUGE problem and parents R not "teachers". The paradigm has required that parents become the teachers and THAT has been difficult
to navigate.

In the end, it should be left up to the parent...zoom classes or in person schooling. A CHOICE.

Parents ARE teachers, at least that is what they should be. I agree that most parents probably don't have the the ability to teach reading, writing, and math at a level that is required to compete. But that's not the issue, is it?

The issue has been the teachers unions pushing back against opening schools for in person learning, EVEN WHEN VACCINATED. The kids of this country have suffered irreparable harm from these government unions that didn't follow the science. You talk about parents being able to make the choice, but too many parents didn't have a choice. This last year has become the biggest incentive for parents to push for school choice and tell the teachers unions to F*** OFF.

George Orwell

15 May 2021 07:41 #8 by homeagain
When we lived on the mountain,I was somewhat surprised at the number of families that HOME SCHOOL.
As I understand the concept.....the curriculum is laid out in a format that is straight forward and simplified
The parent is then able to follow the lesson plan,layer upon layer...K-12 and it appears sufficient...I have
never done research on the long term success/failure of the structure....it just seems to be a popular
alternative.

15 May 2021 12:17 #9 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic The CDC is a JOKE
Maybe the CDC's positions evolved as they got in more data?
Or maybe their boss, the Biden administration told them we need to get people back to work?

It is amazing to see how fast the state and nation are opening back up! No masks required at even woke corporations like Trader Joe's and Costco.

I am a little troubled by this since the vaccination completed rate is a lot lower than I expected before they repealed the mask requirements. I expected we would have to get to 75% for the economy to open up again, only seniors are at that level right now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 May 2021 07:08 #10 by Rick

FredHayek wrote:
I am a little troubled by this since the vaccination completed rate is a lot lower than I expected before they repealed the mask requirements. I expected we would have to get to 75% for the economy to open up again, only seniors are at that level right now.

Why are you troubled? Anyone who doesn't feel 'safe' can get the damn vaccine, so there's no reason to keep destroying the economy and lives because of fear that is no longer justified.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds