Has Rep. Lauren Boebert traveled to other countries?

14 Jul 2021 10:27 #1 by Wayne Harrison
I ask because I don't know and Google doesn't seem to help. It keeps pulling up stories about her padding her travel account.

Boebert says the U.S. is the greatest country in the world because of "freedom." That made me curious about how many countries she has spent time in, in order to compare.

It reminds me of this scene from "The Newsroom"

The following user(s) said Thank You: driver8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2021 10:35 #2 by koobookie

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad / Roughing It
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, driver8

14 Jul 2021 11:17 #3 by Rick
In 2021 you can sit in front of a computer and get any information you want about a country, except for smell and taste. I can investigate what freedoms a country has from freedom of speech, freedom of health care choices, freedom to start a business, freedom to get an abortion, freedom to assemble, etc etc. There isn’t much I can’t find out about a country if I’m interested in the freedom they give their citizens. Maybe one of you could challenge me on that and I will concede your point if you have the evidence to prove me wrong.

As for Mark Twain, I believe he died in early 1900 and make a good point, back before we had all of this technology that can give us a virtual view of every square inch of the planet.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Jul 2021 12:11 #4 by ScienceChic
Experiencing another culture first-hand, talking with the people who grew up there, is nothing like reading about it in a book or on the internet. It would be like letting someone operate on you who'd only read about the procedure vs having performed them themselves. Or taking a car apart and putting it back together again vs reading a manual about all the parts.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jul 2021 12:23 #5 by koobookie

ScienceChic wrote: Experiencing another culture first-hand, talking with the people who grew up there, is nothing like reading about it in a book or on the internet. It would be like letting someone operate on you who'd only read about the procedure vs having performed them themselves. Or taking a car apart and putting it back together again vs reading a manual about all the parts.

That is true. For example, what we read and hear about Mexico is vastly different from what you see when you visit, especially when you get off the tourist resorts and head into the small towns.

14 Jul 2021 14:54 #6 by FredHayek
I have traveled to dozens of nations but it I believe you really have to live there to get a good sense of another country. But conversely, just a small taste of the sea can tell you as much as drinking a whole gallon.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Jul 2021 18:31 - 14 Jul 2021 18:33 #7 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: Experiencing another culture first-hand, talking with the people who grew up there, is nothing like reading about it in a book or on the internet. It would be like letting someone operate on you who'd only read about the procedure vs having performed them themselves. Or taking a car apart and putting it back together again vs reading a manual about all the parts.

True, culture is one thing, but we are talking about FREEDOM, not culture.

[

Boebert says the U.S. is the greatest country in the world because of "freedom." That made me curious about how many countries she has spent time in, in order to compare

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Jul 2021 09:00 #8 by Wayne Harrison
So, the question is: Does the United States have more freedom than any other country in the world?

16 Jul 2021 09:27 #9 by koobookie
This parody site is hilarious. Written by one of the writers of South Park.

www.thelaurenboebert.com/

16 Jul 2021 12:35 #10 by homeagain
WOW....just looked at pix of Boebert..:coolwink: ...SARA PALIN's sister? Sorta reminiscent of BOEBERT=Barracuda

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds