Unintended Consequences?

06 Jun 2022 13:31 #1 by FredHayek
Canada's PM Trudeau plans to ban all sales and transfers of handguns. Think this will cause gun sales to decline? Wrong, record handgun sales are happening in Calgary and other Canadian communities.
Same thing happened in the 1980's and 1990's in America. Assault rifles were a very small part of firearm sales. Then George Bush Sr. banned many rifles from being imported. So the demand for these rifles increased. Then Bill Clinton signed the AWB into law. Once again rifle sales skyrocketed. I bought an AR without a bayonet lug and a couple of AK's. I later sold them for much more than I bought them despite using them hard.
Plus Clinton banned any magazine over 10 rounds. Once again every hi-capacity magazine doubled or quintupled in price. $20 round Glock magazines were now $100. People thought of them as investments. And when they used to buy only one or two, now they were buying 20 to 100.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2022 07:29 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Unintended Consequences?
From what I gleaned on the internet, Canada has 1.1 million registered hand guns. In order to obtain one the procedure is laborious and time consuming. Trudeau is all about theater.
During the Trump administration, the firearms industry was not supercharged, compared to the administrations preceding and succeeding. At least one industry is thriving under Slo Joe.

15 Jul 2022 14:58 #3 by ramage
I had some difficulty as to whether this should go in the Sports category or here even though it may be nefariously thought of as an intended result of Covid.
Canada does not allow aliens into the country that have not been vaccinated. Thus last night the K.C. Royals defeated the Toronto Blue Jays (MLB) even though 10 K.C. players stayed home due to their vaccination status (a fluke or the Blue Jays are that bad).
One has to wonder if Canada is doing this purposely to bolster their MLB team?

15 Jul 2022 15:40 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Unintended Consequences?
I saw that story. Impressed that ten major leaguers choose to ignore the pressure to get the mRNA vaccine that seems to be getting proven to be less effective the more data we get.

21 Jul 2022 08:46 #5 by ramage
A new industry will develop in order address this problem. It will also have to deal with the batteries of EV's.

‘Has To Be Disposed Of’

When the panels do hit their end, the chemicals within the glass are a concern, said Andy Frey, superintendent of operations for Fremont County Solid Waste Disposal District.

“Solar panels are unique in comparison to other electronic waste,” said Frey. “There are very few facilities within the United States that will take them and deconstruct them.”

Arsenic, selenium and cadmium all can be found in the materials used to make the panels. Germanium, Indium, and tellurium also were identified as crucial to solar panel production in a June analysis by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
cowboystatedaily.com/2022/07/20/wyoming-...solar-panel-garbage/

07 Oct 2022 08:48 #6 by ramage
Here's one that was known but now is becoming publicized:

" There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian. As those batteries corrode, fires start. That’s a new challenge that our firefighters haven’t faced before. At least on this kind of scale. #HurricaneIan

07 Oct 2022 18:51 #7 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Unintended Consequences?
Just imagine what kind of toxic fumes would be present if a warehouse full of those things caught on fire. Probably not eco friendly.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Jul 2023 14:35 #8 by ramage
Having just watched Robert F. Kennedy, Jr testify before the House committee on weaponization, I think his popularity will increase. It was ironic to watch democrats try to silence one of their own. A forceful performance to be sure.
An article at Zerohedge.com, looks at the number of Republicans that are crossing over to vote in the democrat primary for RFK, Jr.
www.zerohedge.com/political/kennedy-insp...-movement-voters-say

22 Jul 2023 10:42 #9 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Unintended Consequences?
RFK Jr. Has a real chance to get unaffiliated and some Republican voters in open primary states like Colorado. Ironically Boulder was the most anti-vaccine part of the state before the pandemic.

23 Jul 2023 14:20 - 23 Jul 2023 14:21 #10 by ramage
Where was RFK, Jr for the past 6 years:

"Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. blamed the media for dragging his campaign Sunday, saying he has been slammed “even more than President Trump was slammed” by mainstream media outlets."
www.politico.com/news/2023/07/23/rfk-jr-media-trump-00107736

I find that this comment coming from a staunch democrat of 50 yrs to be an eye-opener for those of us who gave a blind eye to the slurs and false charges that President Trump has endured since he came down the escalator in 2015.
We shall see if RFK, JR is as tough as President Trump.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds