Israel Declares War On Hamas

18 Oct 2023 17:23 #41 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Israel Declares War On Hamas
Not sure what you refer to as crap news. If it be the reporting of WashPo, NYTimes or Foxnews so be it
What then is actual news,( your term),?
Are the aforementioned "anti-journalist media"?

Please expand on your statement.

As an aside let me say that all Jews are Semites as are. Arabs, but not all Jews support Israel. It is difficult for Arabs, in that they are Semites. Using the term anti-semite to describe an individual or a a group simply shows one shallow understanduing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Oct 2023 11:20 #42 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Israel Declares War On Hamas
I’m surprised you don’t know what I’m talking about. When news sources report that Israel bombed the Gaza hospital with no evidence other than the word of the terrorist side, how exactly is that journalism? You do realize how dangerous that kind of false propaganda is, right?

If a news source doesn’t verify what they report, then they are crap and should not be believed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Oct 2023 13:04 #43 by ramage
Sorry they did not rely solely on the Hamas statement. Here is what an Israeli representative posted 20 minutes after the incident.
"After the hospital blast, Naftali initially posted Oct. 17 on X,"BREAKING: Israeli Air Force struck a Hamas terrorist base inside a hospital in Gaza. A number of terrorists are dead," according to social media screenshots. Naftali’s post was deleted. "

"You do realize how dangerous that kind of false propaganda is, right?"
I certainly do. Recall the false propaganda as to WMD's which got us into a war in Iraq.
Or the governments pronouncements regarding the efficacy and safety of the m-RNA treatments for Covid-19.

20 Oct 2023 08:21 #44 by Rick
So if we agree that real misinformation is dangerous, that means every news source that spreads it is therefore dangerous and also crap. They did the same thing for 4 years trying to convince us Trump was a Russian asset... same sources, same damage done.

If news sources put politics above the facts, they are the enemy of the people, period.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Oct 2023 09:50 - 20 Oct 2023 09:51 #45 by ramage
I would agree that DISinformation is dangerous and that real MISinformation can be dangerous. I subscribe to the following definition of DISinformation:

Deliberately misleading information announced publicly or leaked by a government or especially by an intelligence agency in order to influence public opinion or the government in another nation.

As to MISinformation, this is my definition: Untrue or incorrect information.

The meme that Trump was a Russian asset was DISinformation. This meme was proven to be incorrect and yet those spreading it refuse to accept it. Consider, many of the 53 signers of the statement that Hunter's laptop was an example of Russian meddling still peddle it.

With regard to the Baptist Hospital bombing in Gaza, the press, in the fog of war, ran to be the first to publish and as such reported things that were not factually proven. As of this writing it is not yet clear what actually happened.

The penultimate peddling of disinformation was the Covid-19 campaign. Here, disinformation actually injured people, physically, mentally, professionally and economically.

A lengthy response, to be sure, but I believe that a definition of terms is essential to understand one's position.

21 Oct 2023 09:31 #46 by Rick

ramage wrote:
With regard to the Baptist Hospital bombing in Gaza, the press, in the fog of war, ran to be the first to publish and as such reported things that were not factually proven. As of this writing it is not yet clear what actually happened.

Can we agree that the "fog of war" is no excuse for writing unproven stories that can and will provoke violence across the globe? Their source for that false story was from the side that murdered, raped, and kidnapped innocent people.

Fog of war is no excuse for bad journalism, it's just bad and dangerous propaganda meant to wind people up and create more horrible stories for the bad jpournalists to tell.

George Orwell

21 Oct 2023 13:04 #47 by ramage
Rick,
I agree that the rush to report/publish is not a good reason for unproven "facts" to make the news. It certainly would have been better had the report stated only that an explosion in the immediate vicinity of the hospital resulted in deaths and casualties, unfortunately, the press wants "eyeballs" and that has been and still is the case throughout the history of reporting.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds