John Oliver Bribing A Supreme Court Justice?

19 Feb 2024 11:42 #1 by FredHayek

Will Merrick Garland charge the British native for his crimes?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2024 08:26 #2 by Rick
It's weird how all these late night comedians stopped being funny and have lost massive audience starting around 2016. This guy is just another has been.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Feb 2024 09:21 #3 by koobookie
The hilarious irony here is that Oliver is making fun of Thomas. You all remember the numerous ethical violations of Clarence Thomas and all the financial help he has received from wealthy benefactors, some of whom have brought cases before the Supreme Court.

Those can be considered bribes, Rick & Fred.

Well, Oliver making that offer is a comedian's way of keeping the spotlight on the corruption in the SC, i.e., Thomas's ethical violations. We should all be concerned about Clarence's behaviour, and I'm not talking about him putting a pubic hair on his coke can.

There is not a chance in hell that Thomas will ever retire from the court, so Oliver's offer is moot.

22 Feb 2024 10:02 #4 by FredHayek
So if the officer of the law refuses to take a bribe, it never happened?

I am sure people have been convicted of attempted bribery.

22 Feb 2024 10:10 #5 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: So if the officer of the law refuses to take a bribe, it never happened?

Well, Clarence Thomas should know, he's been bribed enough.

22 Feb 2024 10:15 #6 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote:

FredHayek wrote: So if the officer of the law refuses to take a bribe, it never happened?

But do you think he would have changed his votes on those cases? How about Sotomayor when she takes expensive speaking fees?

22 Feb 2024 10:29 #7 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote:

koobookie wrote:

But do you think he would have changed his votes on those cases? How about Sotomayor when she takes expensive speaking fees?

I hope you know that all SC Justices take fees for speeches.

We will never know if Clarence would have changed his vote, because there is so little transparency.

Plus, Fred, we aren't talking about speeches, we're talking about financial help for buying a tricked out RV and then the loan being "forgiven." We're talking about letting Thomas mother living in a house bought by his wealthy friend.

Oh, geez, look it up yourself, but here's a start for your education on Thomas ethical violations:

apnews.com/article/supreme-court-clarenc...cf4a994256ce35d5063f

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...Abb1j01&opi=89978449

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...p6sy1Rq&opi=89978449

RV Loan Forgiven: Thomas never repaid a “substantial portion” of a $267,230 loan from wealthy friend Anthony Welters, which he used to purchase a luxury RV, a Senate Finance Committee investigation found, raising questions about whether the loan was properly reported on his taxes. If Thomas never paid the principal on the loan, it would have created a “significant amount of taxable income,” the committee noted, which wasn’t reported on his financial disclosure to the court in 2008, the year Welker said the loan was “satisfied.”

Koch Brothers: ProPublica also reported Thomas cultivated a relationship with the two Koch brothers (David died in 2019) through repeated trips to the Bohemian Grove, a private retreat for wealthy men; the report noted the Koch network has brought cases before the Supreme Court, including having staff attorneys represent the plaintiffs in an upcoming case this term.

22 Feb 2024 16:37 #8 by koobookie
See? Modern comedians really are funny.

Attachments:

23 Feb 2024 06:29 #9 by homeagain
my FAV FUNNY MAN....thanks for the giggle.....I needed that

24 Feb 2024 12:49 #10 by GeorgeM
No, Fred, no one is terrified that the Supremes (the Christian Dominionist majority, that is) will allow Trump to appear on the ballot. I guarantee they will allow it. What else could we expect of them? And as far as Oliver bribing, as you say, a justice? Nah. Generally, bribes aren't offered in front of millions watching on TV or social media. (That episode, by the way, was rated #4 of 168 like shows for that timeslot.) And, most of us see Oliver as a comedian who interjects thorough, very serious, thought-provoking investigation into his dialogues. Now, if you want to talk about bribes conducted right out in the open, before the entire world, and embraced, hook, line, and sinker by the gullible we need to go no further than Donald Trump.

Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact. -- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans)

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds