Who are the "libertarian" Tea Party Puppet Masters?

26 Aug 2010 19:16 #1 by AspenValley
For those willing to actually read the article, there are interesting associations suggested.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010 ... table=true

First:

Five hundred people attended the summit, which served, in part, as a training session for Tea Party activists in Texas. An advertisement cast the event as a populist uprising against vested corporate power. “Today, the voices of average Americans are being drowned out by lobbyists and special interests,” it said. “But you can do something about it.” The pitch made no mention of its corporate funders. The White House has expressed frustration that such sponsors have largely eluded public notice. David Axelrod, Obama’s senior adviser, said, “What they don’t say is that, in part, this is a grassroots citizens’ movement brought to you by a bunch of oil billionaires.”

And then....

The Kochs have long depended on the public’s not knowing all the details about them. They have been content to operate what David Koch has called “the largest company that you’ve never heard of.” But with the growing prominence of the Tea Party, and with increased awareness of the Kochs’ ties to the movement, the brothers may find it harder to deflect scrutiny. Recently, President Obama took aim at the Kochs’ political network. Speaking at a Democratic National Committee fund-raiser, in Austin, he warned supporters that the Supreme Court’s recent ruling in the Citizens United case—which struck down laws prohibiting direct corporate spending on campaigns—had made it even easier for big companies to hide behind “groups with harmless-sounding names like Americans for Prosperity.” Obama said, “They don’t have to say who, exactly, Americans for Prosperity are. You don’t know if it’s a foreign-controlled corporation”—or even, he added, “a big oil company

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2010 19:54 #2 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Who are the "libertarian" Tea Party Puppet Masters?
Good stuff..I don't blame exploiters in this case, I blame the people that are stupid enough to be exploited..The easily minipulated amongst us. In this day and age there is no reason to be that stupid.

26 Aug 2010 20:07 #3 by Travelingirl
dang it - politically active rich guys! UGhhhhhhhhh!!

Koch began giving spectacularly large donations to the arts and sciences. And he became a patron of cancer research, focussing on prostate cancer. In addition to his gifts to Sloan-Kettering, he gave fifteen million dollars to New York-Presbyterian Hospital, a hundred and twenty-five million to M.I.T. for cancer research, twenty million to Johns Hopkins University, and twenty-five million to the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, in Houston. In response to his generosity, Sloan-Kettering gave Koch its Excellence in Corporate Leadership Award. In 2004, President Bush named him to the National Cancer Advisory Board, which guides the National Cancer Institute.

26 Aug 2010 20:07 #4 by Travelingirl

Vice Lord wrote: Good stuff..I don't blame exploiters in this case, I blame the people that are stupid enough to be exploited..The easily minipulated amongst us. In this day and age there is no reason to be that stupid.

Are you talking about most union workers??

26 Aug 2010 20:15 #5 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Who are the "libertarian" Tea Party Puppet Masters?

travelingirl wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Good stuff..I don't blame exploiters in this case, I blame the people that are stupid enough to be exploited..The easily minipulated amongst us. In this day and age there is no reason to be that stupid.

I think you need to do a little more travelin kid, you're very nieve.

Did your daddy tell you that unions were bad?

26 Aug 2010 20:17 #6 by UNDER MODERATION

travelingirl wrote: President Bush named him to the National Cancer Advisory Board.

Oh he's definately going to heaven now...

26 Aug 2010 20:29 #7 by Nmysys
Gee!!! Is he another George Soros? The Puppet Master running Obama!!

The New Yorker. I remember a painting showing New York City and then the whole rest of the country as one big open space. One of the most Liberal Magazines ever printed. Great example of a fair and balanced publication to quote from. Seems to be quite hypocritical after the way you attacked me on the other post.

26 Aug 2010 20:40 - 26 Aug 2010 20:46 #8 by UNDER MODERATION

Nmysys wrote: Gee!!! Is he another George Soros? The Puppet Master running Obama!!

The New Yorker. I remember a painting showing New York City and then the whole rest of the country as one big open space. One of the most Liberal Magazines ever printed. Great example of a fair and balanced publication to quote from. Seems to be quite hypocritical after the way you attacked me on the other post.

Oh your billionaire is worse than our billionaire!

Nemisis, someone posted a picture of you at the Pancake house breakfest or whatever, and you look like an average guy, like me..Were not millionares or billionaries so I gotta tell ya something buddy ......
{puts arm around Nemisis}
Corporate interests are not our interests my friend. We are the little guy me and you. So wake the F up and get on the right team, ok?

26 Aug 2010 20:43 #9 by Travelingirl

Vice Lord wrote:

travelingirl wrote:

I think you need to do a little more travelin kid, you're very nieve.

Did your daddy tell you that unions were bad?

Let me think...no...no he didn't...but he did tell me to stay far, far away from grown men masquerading in batman suits that can't spell! rofllol

26 Aug 2010 20:45 #10 by AspenValley

Nmysys wrote:

Oh you're right....those anonymous emails are sooooooooooooo much more authoritative.

S**t, this is hopeless.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds