Myth Vs. Reality and the dumbing down of America

31 Aug 2010 20:46 #31 by jf1acai
If you can't say something nice, either shut up, or figure out how to phrase it better :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2010 21:52 #32 by Wayne Harrison

PrintSmith wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote: Congratulations! You're in the 34 percent who believe correctly.

Well, actually, it was the Congress that started TARP since all revenue bills must originate in the House of Representatives according to Article II of the Constitution, so it would appear that The Beast itself is in error with regards to its "reporting".

I knew what they meant when they asked whether it was Obama or Bush.

Here it is from the horse's mouth: The Pew Research Center...

34% - Was TARP Passed Under Bush or Obama?

In numerous polls, the public has voiced their displeasure at the much maligned bank bailout, but most don't know which president signed the controversial act into law. Only a third of Americans (34%) correctly say the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) was enacted by the Bush administration. Nearly half (47%) incorrectly believe TARP was passed under President Obama. Another 19% admit they do not know which president signed the bank bailout into law. Notably, there is no partisan divide on the question. Just 36% of Republicans, 35% of independents and 34% of Democrats know that the government bailout of banks and financial institutions was signed into law by former President Bush. And Democrats (46%) are just as likely as Republicans (50%) to say TARP was passed under Obama.

http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynu ... berID=1057

31 Aug 2010 23:27 #33 by ScienceChic

travelingirl wrote: Rule 11:
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one...

:thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Aug 2010 23:43 #34 by PrintSmith

Wayne Harrison wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote: Congratulations! You're in the 34 percent who believe correctly.

Well, actually, it was the Congress that started TARP since all revenue bills must originate in the House of Representatives according to Article II of the Constitution, so it would appear that The Beast itself is in error with regards to its "reporting".

I knew what they meant when they asked whether it was Obama or Bush.

Here it is from the horse's mouth: The Pew Research Center...

34% - Was TARP Passed Under Bush or Obama?

In numerous polls, the public has voiced their displeasure at the much maligned bank bailout, but most don't know which president signed the controversial act into law. Only a third of Americans (34%) correctly say the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) was enacted by the Bush administration. Nearly half (47%) incorrectly believe TARP was passed under President Obama. Another 19% admit they do not know which president signed the bank bailout into law. Notably, there is no partisan divide on the question. Just 36% of Republicans, 35% of independents and 34% of Democrats know that the government bailout of banks and financial institutions was signed into law by former President Bush. And Democrats (46%) are just as likely as Republicans (50%) to say TARP was passed under Obama.

http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynu ... berID=1057

Yeah, we'll just let the blame fall on the outgoing president even though we all know that without the support of both contenders that had a chance of being the next president the bill would have gone nowhere because the sitting president would not have saddled either of them with it. But that's OK Wayne, we all know how the progressives will be holding the last president accountable for the deficits of his successor until the end of his stay in the White House.

That's the problem with the attempts at revisionist history. By continually telling people it was all Bush's fault over and over and over again the hope is that history will be forever fundamentally changed. I don't know about you Wayne, but I resent the attempts of the professional left to rewrite history to suit their agenda. My memory of the occurrence is still quite sharp thank you very much, and I remember that Bush specifically indicated that nothing would be done unless both hopefuls agreed with the action that was on the table. That, and it required the consent of the Democrat controlled House and Senate to even reach Bush for his signature. Oh yes Wayne, I remember the history because I lived it, regardless of how desperately the progressives wish it were otherwise...........

01 Sep 2010 06:11 #35 by LadyJazzer

PrintSmith wrote: That's the problem with the attempts at revisionist history. By continually telling people it was all Bush's fault over and over and over again the hope is that history will be forever fundamentally changed. I don't know about you Wayne, but I resent the attempts of the professional left to rewrite history to suit their agenda. My memory of the occurrence is still quite sharp thank you very much, and I remember that Bush specifically indicated that nothing would be done unless both hopefuls agreed with the action that was on the table. That, and it required the consent of the Democrat controlled House and Senate to even reach Bush for his signature. Oh yes Wayne, I remember the history because I lived it, regardless of how desperately the progressives wish it were otherwise...........

History doesn't need to be revised--unless you can show more than one person's name, in ink, at the bottom of the bill. I think we only have one president at a time. Which president was calling the shots over the recession that started in December, 2007? Which president drove the economy into the ditch over the 12 months preceding the signing of the TARP bill? Which president was at the helm when it became necessary to pass a TARP bill to try to save the country from the sure destruction that was a direct result of his failed leadership? And you want to blame the man who wasn't even president yet for saying, "Yep. That looks like the only solution to me." ... ? No, actually, history doesn't need to be revised at all--It speaks for itself. And your memory is working as selectively as it always does.

01 Sep 2010 06:44 #36 by outdoor338

01 Sep 2010 07:10 #37 by FredHayek

major bean wrote: With a high school drop out rate of over 45% who would even question the stupidity of the common man?

Sad isn't it? And what makes it worse, is that it is easier than ever to graduate high school, yet so many continue to quit.

An earlier post about remedial courses for freshman college students, but I bet that the college courses offered these days are less demanding than the ones I took in the 80's.

There is a Mike Judge movie called "Idiocracy" which says in the future all the smart people aren't having kids or only 2 at most. And all the dumb people are having a dozen. I am starting to think this is coming to pass.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Sep 2010 07:59 #38 by Wayne Harrison
You all are reading more into it than the question actually asked. It didn't ask who was at fault or who is responsible. It asked who signed TARP? The story is not about why TARP was needed. It was about the number of Americans who incorrectly believe TARP was signed by Obama. That's all.

01 Sep 2010 08:08 #39 by Scruffy

SS109 wrote:

major bean wrote: With a high school drop out rate of over 45% who would even question the stupidity of the common man?

Sad isn't it? And what makes it worse, is that it is easier than ever to graduate high school, yet so many continue to quit.

An earlier post about remedial courses for freshman college students, but I bet that the college courses offered these days are less demanding than the ones I took in the 80's.

There is a Mike Judge movie called "Idiocracy" which says in the future all the smart people aren't having kids or only 2 at most. And all the dumb people are having a dozen. I am starting to think this is coming to pass.

Easier than ever? Not in Jeffco. Walk up to the Conifer High School and ask any kid you see if school is easy. There's a whole mess of new Advanced Placement and Honors programs. CHS has the most of both of those programs in the county. My kids are taking calculus in Junior level. I didn't take calc until 2nd year college! They increased the number of credits this year that students need to graduate. They increased the number of years of foreign language required. And to top it off, homework every night, regardless of extracurricular activity. They even had homework assignments in every class over the summer.

Don't tell me that school is getting easier. I don't know where you heard that, but it is wrong.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds