A great quote. Is it OK that our Country is like this?

08 Sep 2010 14:12 #11 by The Viking
And can anyone show me where in this fantastic 2000 page healthcare bill that it says that if an illegal immigrant does not show proof of insurance like 'legal' Americans do, that they get fined or their wages garnished? I guess I missed that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2010 14:29 #12 by ScienceChic

The Viking wrote: OK, here are a couple of questions. If someone has to prove they have health insurance everytime they go to the hospital and once a year for tax reasons, should that also include every person living in the United States and not just tax payers? And if we, as legal citizens don't have it, then we get fined or it is taken out of our taxes so we are 'forced' to pay it. How do those who don't have any paperwork, living and working here, get fined and have to pay for not having proof of insurance?

As of yet, anyone can go to a general hospital, regardless of having insurance or not, and get treated. Those costs are passed on to taxpayers, which was one of the reasons for passing national healthcare - to cover these loopholes and loose ends. Is it perfect, no.

Illegals will still get healthcare coverage the same way they file taxes - with phony documentation. Does it make it right? No. But universal healthcare coverage isn't meant to solve the problem of illegal immigration.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

08 Sep 2010 15:32 #13 by grrr
I guess I'd pay my taxes for the same reason I wouldn't shoplift even though so many people get away with it.

08 Sep 2010 15:37 #14 by The Viking

grrr wrote: I guess I'd pay my taxes for the same reason I wouldn't shoplift even though so many people get away with it.

But why aren't the laws equal for everyone? Why don't illegals get audited and fined and thrown in jail for not filing? And why are the laws different in this healthcare bill? Why is it that if you are a 'legal' citizen, then you are forced to pay for healthcare or be fined? And if you are a 'legal' citizen and walk into an emergency room, you are treated but then you are reported for not having insurance and you are fined? But if you are here illegally, then you can just walk into an emergency room and you are treated and you can leave without any consequences? WHy do illegals have more rights and not have to obey our laws in those two areas?

08 Sep 2010 15:44 #15 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

grrr wrote: I guess I'd pay my taxes for the same reason I wouldn't shoplift even though so many people get away with it.

But why aren't the laws equal for everyone? Why don't illegals get audited and fined and thrown in jail for not filing? And why are the laws different in this healthcare bill? Why is it that if you are a 'legal' citizen, then you are forced to pay for healthcare or be fined? And if you are a 'legal' citizen and walk into an emergency room, you are treated but then you are reported for not having insurance and you are fined? But if you are here illegally, then you can just walk into an emergency room and you are treated and you can leave without any consequences? WHy do illegals have more rights and not have to obey our laws in those two areas?

Because we have to catch them first, Viking.

Why aren't all speeders on 285 stopped and fined?

08 Sep 2010 16:26 #16 by grrr

The Viking wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the laws will be equal for all citizens or resident aliens. Since illegal immigrants don't fit in to those categories, there isn't much leverage to penalize them. They're essentially being treated the same as people who visit the country. Don't get me wrong, they're not welcome guests & I hope the enforcement of relevant laws is improved (and possibly aided by the insurance check). That said, I'm not aware of any special protections or privileges granted to illegals under the law & as has already been stated this program wasn't put in place to solve the illegal immigration problem.

08 Sep 2010 16:37 #17 by HEARTLESS
Use a credit or debit card and get asked for a photo id. You may get carded (license check) for alcohol purchase. Write a check and expect to show your license, and it goes on and on. Keep up the bs on it being racist to prove who you are, someone may actually believe it.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Sep 2010 17:14 #18 by grrr

HEARTLESS wrote: Use a credit or debit card and get asked for a photo id. You may get carded (license check) for alcohol purchase. Write a check and expect to show your license, and it goes on and on. Keep up the bs on it being racist to prove who you are, someone may actually believe it.

1. No one said it was inherently racist; however, I'll assert that law enforcement decisions will be driven by race in more instances if this is implemented.

2. You may be stupid enough to give up the protections afforded by due process but many of us are not.

3. The scenarios you reference above are all very different from contact with a law enforcement officer in which an individual is required to provide specific documentation without any triggering action on the part of the individual. You see, a clerk can ask you for an ID, but if you're not comfortable with providing it, for any reason, you can simply decline to do so. I'm guessing the finer points are meaningless to you, but I'm thankful that our country has a legal tradition of acknowledging & supporting these details.

08 Sep 2010 17:47 #19 by LadyJazzer
I didn't know hospital emergency rooms were supposed to enforce immigration laws? How did that sneak in there?

08 Sep 2010 20:52 #20 by AspenValley

The Viking wrote: "Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Congress wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens". -Ben Stein

Don't you think this is backwards?

Do you have to prove you have auto insurance if the cops pull you over?

If so, why haven't you freaked out over that?

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds